About Defensewall...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by OHM, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

How do you installs your new application?

2. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Maybe its not DW but my formatting.

I downloaded Norton AntiBot on trial but it fails to install. "Not enough authority - see your Adminstrator." I though it was restricted by 'untrusted' but even after uninstalling both DW and the other 'suspect' ProSecurity, the restriction is still there.

I think the problem is I formatted XP with just the single power user account leaving Admin in default/no password rather than two genuine accounts, Adminstrator and tisatashar.

So people, is it possible to create the Administrator now or do I have to reformat?

3. Newby

Newby Registered Member

4. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

New problems with DW 2.09 I´m afraid...

I have the same issue as the above poster with installs labeled as "Untrusted", even if they´re not on the untrusted list in DW. It happens to some installations but not all, and of course it leads to serious problems regarding stability. So I´ve uninstalled my paid DW 2.09 for good, and will await for the next build.

/C.

5. Ilya Rabinovich

Cerxes, check out that those files are not within folders set as untrusted. If they are not- mail me I could start investigation of this issue with your cooperation as this issue is not reproducible with my test computers.

6. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I don't know yet if it the problem is related to DW 2.09 version or not. Yesterday I tried to install AntiExecutable after runnind it as "trusted" but I could never open the application or when it would open AE was completely buggy. Will try it again today.

7. Ilya Rabinovich

AE is not very stable. At least, when I was trying its latest version with my VirtualPC test machine. Try to disable DW and run AE again- maybe, this will helps.

8. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Ilya, I think you are right because even when I disable completely DW, I could not get AE running on my system.

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:

From what I gather so far; AE and DW do have many similarities.

AE keeps a system wide white list by scanning the whole body, whereas
    DW keeps a blacklist by putting apps into untrusted container. In theory, they perform the same task--keep malwares away from your system, but
    work from different approaches.

Conflicts are inevitable, IMO. Which is better ? different folks different views. perhaps. Take care and be happy.

10. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

@Ilya: The files are not within any folders set as untrusted, but it seems that the tag that is hooked to the data wont sync with DW:s untrusted list during new input.

@Antarctica: Then maybe it has to be some other confllict/problem because I´ve using AE for a while now and I havn´t had any problem until I updated to DW 2.09 which lead to several freezes.

@Perman: They are both good in using combined regarding how they protect using different approaches (whitelist and blacklist). I know that many question the blacklist solutions, but the blacklist in DW are limited to a small amount of dataflow that changes very frequently so it´s acceptable :)

/C.

11. Ilya Rabinovich

The point is that this attribute has an immediate action.

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I don't have anything of real consequence to add to this discussion about DefenseWall but i really have to hand it to Ilya and jis creativity in designing it. Very few security apps impress me to excitement with complete satisfaction, and this one chairs the front roll of the best of the best IMO.

With the arsenal i employ theres been little need to even consider adding it but after this last version i'm overwhelmed with it's very well thought out method not to mention such stability & compatibility with other apps in adddition.

So much so that i am definitely going to buy this program. It's simply too well refined to bypass in spite of all the other sandboxes, HIPS, Virtuals i've had complete success with.

Thanks & appreciation are duly in order from this procrastinator IIya and you have done a brilliant job with this app. For me it's a very rare creation that lives up to and goes beyond it's claims. You are a real credit to the industry with this and it's obvious you keep a close watch on it and always vigiliant in addding changes neccessary to keep it top notch.

Simply put, nicely done.

Regards EASTER

13. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

EASTER, very nicely said.
    I have to agree with you. :D

14. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

How hard is it to terminate the DefenseWall process(es)? I ask because there doesn't seem to be any seld defense mechanisms in place? If it can be take down easily, like with apt, that can be very bad.

15. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

DW works by differencing trusted and untrusted applications. Trusted apps can do everything they want to other trusted processes and untrusted apps.
    If you start APT as untrusted it won't do anything to any trusted process (DW included)

16. n8chavez

The my problems becomes, how can I add a program as 'trusted', or rather, how can I see if it is listed as 'trusted'? There is a list for untrusted apps but not trusted ones?. Also, apt, even though it was listed as untrusted, was still able to terminate a DW process.

Very confused....

17. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Well, I don't use DW (I use a similar product called GeSWall) but maybe you killed the GUI of DW and not the driver/service responsible of the protection.
    If this isn't the case, I'd contact DW developer.

18. Ilya Rabinovich

Does DW's main process was trusted or untrusted?

19. n8chavez

That's where I get a little confused. Hoe to I know what is trusted? I see no such list. But I can tell you that the APT peocess was untrusted and it was able to terminate LnS and Dr Web., obviously Defensewall was the last app to be terminated.

20. aigle

aigle Registered Member

DefnceWall protection is driver based. Terminating its process only terminates the GUI, not the protection.

21. OHM

OHM Guest

I think I'm not getting the answer I want...
    Unfortunately, everybody just forgot about the real question of mine.
    Oh, well, thanks for the replies anyways.

22. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Sorry OHM,
    I think we may have gotten side tracked.
    1) Very easy to use. Once it's up and running you won't even know it's there.
    2) There a couple of settings you can change, shown here:

http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34858

Basically, it's out the box. :D

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Best way is to try urself, then u can know.

ThreatFire is a behavioral blocker while DW is a sandbox, not sure why u are comparing the two. Both can be used together.

24. n8chavez

I guess I'm a little confused and/or concered about DW. How do we know what apps are being run as 'trusted'? And how can a malicous app (or whatever) be put on the 'untrusted' list if we don't even know about it? DW seems easy to bypass; as I mentioned before APT was able to terminate my firewall and AV even thought APT wa listed as 'untrusted'.

25. Ilya Rabinovich

I don't think so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.