About Defensewall...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by OHM, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidw_426

davidw_426 Registered Member

Hmm, I'm having a small issue myself. Using DW from GAOTD and it's working great that I can tell....except for when using IE7. It takes a good 10 or more seconds to load the page when it's first opened, after that it will sometimes sail smoothly as I browse or it will start loading pages slow again. I'm using it alongside ThreatFire with most of the posted custom rules if that makes any difference. (have tried disabling the custom rules also and still have this issue).

If it helps, I'm using Avast with all but the P2P and Web shields disabled, Windows XP firewall, Safe XP with recommended settings and Script Defender. That's it except for the Quero Toolbar in IE7, but I uninstalled it and had the same slowness, so it's been re-installed (it doesn't seem to be able to be added to the DW Untrusted list either).

2. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Hm, interesting. OK, I'm going to try WML 8.5 by myself. But, anyway, if it really erases service, such the activity is blocked by DW.

Do you have KeyScrambler onboard?

Mail me to support [at] softsphere [dot] com, I'll instruct you what the information I need to solve the issue.

3. davidw_426

Thank you Ilya, I have emailed you as requested

4. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

When I press cancel to the erase, it asks if I'm sure (yes) and then allows WLM to open. WLM 8.5 was previously installed, but msiexec.exe was the source of block (or install?). The service in question is set to "manual" not "auto" if that makes a difference. Also msiexec.exe was set to "trust" but to no "avail"... (If not for my teens this would be a non-issue.)

5. Ilya Rabinovich

I already fixed WLM 8.5 compatibility issues. Will be released with the next regular build.

6. 19monty64

WOW!!! :eek: That was fast!!! I really didn't expect this kind of attention, but glad I could help...

7. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Everyone who uses DefenseWall knows how quickly Ilya responds to every problem as soon as he hears about them, he always takes a personal interest no matter how small the problem is.

The best support i have known for any product. :thumb:

8. davidw_426

Amen to that

9. 19monty64

I won't be able to find this out...
    ...but at least I helped out the paid users.

10. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

With NoD32-3AV and comodo 3+ on duty would DefenseWall be covering a hole that the others two are not? I am aware that DW is a 'sandbox' application and it seems a good solid application, however I would like to know if at the end of the day its just a case of which application get's to "shoot the intruder" or is DW filling a breach in my defenses?

11. Ilya Rabinovich

Well, CPF v3 has a classical HIPS onboard. So, it's up to you if you can use it or you would like to use more user-friendly HIPS solution like DW.

12. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

I like those words 'user-friendly'. But surely DefenseWall alone doesn't replace Comodo 3? I've got NoD32 3AV and tend to install/unistall things and similar actions that provoke popups in a classical hips.

What do you suggest as more 'user-friendly" package.

13. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

Hello tisatashar,

For a "user friendly" security setup, you could run NOD32 v3.0, Comodo 3.0 w/ its HIPS functions disabled and DefenseWall. In short, running an antivirus and firewall alongside DefenseWall would offer simple, strong and comprehensive protection.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

14. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Ilya, since you´re watching this thread, I would like to mention that I have some serious problems with the latest DW 2.09 and Faronics Anti-Executable. It completly freezes the machine when I´m going to enable AE, and I have to reboot the hard way. Never had any issues before until DW 2.09 (except regarding DW together with Live Messenger, but I know that you have solved that conflict for a later build). Btw, I´m running XP Pro.

/C.

15. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I downloaded DW after turning off OA2.
    When I went to reboot my pc was stuck in a continuous loop. It never got done booting up.
    I was finally able to get it into Safe Mode and had to remove DW.
    I appreciate the free product through giveawayoftheday. It's a shame I couldn't use it but I thanks Ilya anyway.

16. Ilya Rabinovich

Cerxes- OK, I'll check out AE.

Hugger- mail me and I'll fix an issue with your help.

17. poirot

poirot Registered Member

Just a question for Ilya:
    (i have run DW successfully with Threatfire,ProSecurity Free,Powershadow,Returnil etc,but)
    can DW work properly alongside ProSecurity Pro & Returnil?
    it's a long time i wanted to try,but prefer to know first from either you or other users who might have ventured into this experiment.

18. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Yes that is my standard build

19. Ilya Rabinovich

There is a known issue with ProSecurity 1.40 beta 2- if you select "Block" than proces will be terminated incorrect way (without global notification about it) and will stay into DW's internal process list. I have notified PSDeveloper, but still had no response.

20. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

version 1.30 last pre beta build is fine - should have been clearer

21. poirot

poirot Registered Member

Thanks for replying Ilya and starfish_001.

I assume then there's no problem with ProSecurity version 1.30 i'm using now.

22. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

How do you install something you download? DW marks it as untrusted. What's the proceedure?

23. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

Easy:
    - either right click on the downloaded program and do to defensewall and click "run as trusted".
    - either go to DW main menu, go to untrusted applications and remove the program from untrusted list.

24. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Save the install package to your desktop for example.
    Right click it.
    You'll see a drop down menu.
    Hover your mouse over DW.
    A menu will open to the right.
    Click run as trusted.
    That's it.
    Then install. :D

25. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Yiii. No go. DW still labels my installation attempts as untrusted. The little progress bar gets way up to say 97% then you get slapped with a violation code: 1406.

e.g.(I'd use Snagit to show u if DW would let me install it)
    Error1406. Could not write value DependOnService to key.....

Verify you have sufficient access.

(P.S. There's only one account in the PC - me.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.