About:Blank Removal

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Sage, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fatboy

Fatboy Guest

Hope is on the way !!

I tried the "uninstall" program cited above but only found about:blank reloaded itself again after rebooting. CWshreader was no help since the *.dll was hidden. Anyhow, I tried manual procedures from this link

http://www.akadia.com/services/about_blank_virus.html

After going thru the procedures then run CWshedder again,the virus is now gone !!

Best of luck to all

2. Ack!

Ack! Registered Member

Managed to get rid of this pest, not by posting...
    I followed someone elses post advice out of Computer Cops. It may not work for all.
    From what I understand this problem has many variations. So, beware, & be careful.
    I'm not an expert. Better to follow an experts advice, but, I wanted to add to this, in case it may help someone else. Goodluck, & gooday!
    Here is what I did.
    Registry hack on the AppInit_Dlls...Scroll through the whole thread, & read all first. Like I stated...
    You may not have the same problem w/ your PC.
    If posting this link is considered spamming, or is against forum rules, please accept my humble apologies. Only trying to help others.

http://computercops.biz/postx24263-0-60.html

3. Strut

Strut Guest

Nice Fix. I had also tried all the Spyware Software etc with no luck. Cheers.

4. pops2910

pops2910 Guest

thanks man i couldn't figure out how to get rid of it

5. ?zach8804

?zach8804 Guest

god bless this site rite here just go to it click remove software and the damn thing is gone with a quick flash of the screen

6. ?zach8804

?zach8804 Guest

oops forgot to mention the site: hxxp://www.oz.msie.tv/

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2004
  7. chew

chew Registered Member

Call me paranoid but ...

Why are there so many Junior members & Guests advocating using this piece of software?

I would wait for the Senior Moderators or trusted source to recommend this software rather than Junior member or Guests.

I think it might be a good idea Not to install it this software until full clearance by experts...

I was just about to tell a friend to install this software on his pc to help him as his is very badly infected and he is very stressed now.

However, another friend of mine, a car mechanic with no computer knowledge whatsoever, learned all about Registry keys in one week and got rid of the Browser Hijack or whatever they are ... using a ... Dummy Registry Key and tricked the hidden code to attach itself to that Dummy Registry key and got rid of it. He had to try it one by one.

Again, please becareful. You might do more harm than good.

:doubt:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  8. Rich F

Rich F Guest

All this is both encouraging, but inCREDibly frustrating.

Where ARE all the posts by experts and senior member explaining how to rid computers of the about:blank scourge?

I see a lot of (wise) cautionary notes on (apparently) effective but unverified methods -- but NO advice or methods posted by said experts.

What gives?

Thanks -- I'd be grateful for any substantive response.

9. XXX

XXX Guest

Yes, please help us, experts.

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Since Wilders no longer offers system cleaning services....one thing you can do if you wish is to visit the below link. It's a search from our adware, spyware & hijack Forum when it was open for business....using blank as the search criteria and has many examples of ...."experts and senior member explaining how to rid computers of the about:blank scourge"

This link---> https://www.wilderssecurity.com/search.php?searchid=134214

If your wanting to see more examples....OR....if you have the about:blank scourge....you could visit two of the busiest Forums dealing in this crud.

http://computercops.biz/modules.php?name=Forums

http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/index.php

11. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

To add to Bubba's post, for a list of the many variants of the CoolWebSearch trojan (about:blank being one of them) you can read The CoolWebSearch Chronicles.

As you can see, there are many variants of this hijacker/trojan and usually the person's computer would be infected with more than one variant. The automatic cleaning programs (anti-spyware programs, etc) do not always remove all pieces of this infection, so even though it may look like the system is clean, you could find yourself re-infected within days or even hour's later.

Most of the newer variants are quite difficult to remove if not sometimes impossible to remove, and will require manual removal involving posting a hijackthis log, having it reviewed by an experienced Hijackthis log Analyst, who would then post step-by-step instructions, which could also involve using specific removal tools and several postings of new logs before the person's computer would be clean of this type of infection.

As we no longer provide hijackthis log review at Wilders as per our Posting Policy stated in this Announcement, you will be able to find a list of sites that still do perform this type of log analysis and system cleaning in this link: http://a-sap.org/

Hope the above helps to answer your questions.

Regards,

snap

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  12. Joedanger

Joedanger Guest

That link at the top is gone ... but i REMOVED THE <snip> WITH THIS PROGRAM http://www.adwareaway.com/index.html download it and follow the instructions...............

can any1 email me and tell me how good i am ... if the program works for you!!!

~removed email address to prevent harvesting - Bubba~

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2004
  13. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

I had written a post on how, hopefully, I got rid of about:Blank. On second thoughts I deleted it, a lot of people read these forums. :D

Looks like CWS gone for the present. Much as how I would like to tell my tale, I don't see any point in freely publishing it. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  14. Paul2

Paul2 Guest

Thanks for the tip , it really worked ! What about this tool ? '' Remove about:blank Buddy '' Remove about:blank Buddy is freeware tool to remove unwanted Internet Explorer about:blank home page.

Remove about:blank Buddy lets you keep default home page from changing by removing home page hijackers and restoring original configuration.

http://www.scosoft.com/

Anyone tryed it ?

15. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

You will find a way that does no harm if you are on the wrong track here:
    http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?p=2023378 (post #15)

But make sure you are using the proper tool for your problem. Get guidance if you are not.

Would you first try 20 different medications before you went to the doctor for a diagnosis? ;)

Regards,

Pieter

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2005
  16. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

It's a vicious circle. I realise people need help, also it seems counter productive to inform the devils of the methods of removal. :ninja:

17. mad_dawgz

mad_dawgz Guest

i dont get it? i use spyware gaurd..and if things chnage like homepage it lets me know?... also about blank is right there near hompeage a button??... y make that button ?..anyhow i tried to go to that website tv thingo? looks like a search engine? i couldnt see any uninstall tool to save to desktop?..maddawgz

18. The tool from SCOSOFT is not free (they make you register as the next to last step.) It cost me $19 -- and it didn't work.

What a pain.

19. myluvnttl

myluvnttl Registered Member

Is this about:blank a homepage where you can setup as your MAIN START-UP Homepage so it will show a blanks screen start-up homepage so IE can load up faster, or something else?

20. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Take a look here,

http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/about-blank-adware.html

for details on about:blank.

snowbound

21. synapse

synapse Registered Member

whats wrong with about:blank, isnt that an option in explorer to let that be your homepage

22. verat

verat Guest

If you want to remove anoying about:blank Search page just go to Add Remove programs and remove program called Search Assistant. It worked for me, maybe it works for somebody else. Have a nice day folks.

23. anony

anony Guest

Greetings. I tried using the search bar, then deleting the search results, and found the exact same webpage (hxxp://www.oz.msie.tv/)

However, the "uninstaller" is gone now.

I don't suppose anyone saved it, eh?

24. anony

anony Guest

Oops, didn't even try verat's suggestion, the uninstaller is indeed there.

25. Bzo

Bzo Guest

This worked for me...Thanks!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.