About:blank hijacker

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by pacdodo, Mar 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pacdodo

pacdodo Registered Member

For some weeks now I have been struggling to eliminate this pest from my pc. It intermittently appears taking over Internet Explorer. I have used all different anti spyware but have not yet seen it dead on my plate, so to speak ! I am now having help from malwareremoal forum. I would like to know whether Spywareblaster protects our computer from this elusive and hard to kill, pest.
    Thanks.
    pacDodo

2. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Dear Pacdodo, I run spywareblaster, spywareguard and the Internet Explorer immunisation feature in Spybot S+D and I can say I am never bothered by the about blank browser hijacker.
    Also Spybot is very good in so much as you can look in tools and then in active x's and BHO's installed to see if there are things that shouldn't be there, and remove them if necessary.
    To answer if spywareblaster specifically stops the about blank hijacker, I am not sure. I do know it restricts access to websites containing Coolweb search About-blank-biz and coolwebsearch about blank-ws.
    Spywareguard though will prevent homepage hijacking.

3. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

you could always install Ewido (free for 14 days), SpywareDoctor (again free, 30 days...) install them, and let them update .. do NOT clean it right away!!!

first go into safe mode:

then let Ewido and SpywareDoctor run and clean whatever it finds...also let your AV run.

then reboot and post an HJT log over at some of the specialized Fora all around the web atm ... you'll always get covered if you go to any ASAP-site, very dedicated antispyware fighters ..
    http://asap.maddoktor2.com/

:thumb:

4. emir

emir Registered Member

I do not mean to butt in pacdodo but is it absolutely necessary that you use the most targeted and vulnerability ridden pieces of what they call software such as Microsoft Internet Explorer? What I'm getting at is wake up and smell OPERA, not Internet Explorer, not even mozilla compares to OPERA.
    If you don't have to use IE then please check out opera, and be my guest to go to http://www.securityfocus.com and check out the vulnerability database which has literally hundreds of entries for IE and many for mozilla but none for opera,which doesn't even use activeX, can identify itself as opera or mozilla or IE, use voice-controlled browsing, disable referrer logging(how sites keep track of where you been along with cookies),also about literally 1000 skin themes that are killin mozilla.I don't have time to list all the other advantages but please check it out.

5. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I agree OPERA is a far better alternative for those who constantly get hammered. Personally i never had much trouble with IE except on 98 where WMP always got picked off.

On XP Pro i always use IE but to be honest Opera IMO is a much quicker browser and is the underlying reason i highly support it, security being another that more people seem to enjoy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.