About Avast home protection

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Link, Aug 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

I remember that, some time ago, I did an online scan on my computer and it detected viruses that were quarantined by the active/installed antivirus. isn't it possible that nod32 detected those 103 threats in the chest of avast?
    additionally, I have colleagues at work that received the "virus detected"-message from the antivirus and yet clicked on "run". more of that, on some ocasions I was near them, saw the message and told him to click "block the damn thing" but they clicked "allow run". sounds impossible? I have seen this.
    as for myself, i'm using avast free and i'm satisfied, never encoutered a problem.

2. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Have avast! network client edition (essentially Professional version) installed on about 50 PC's and 2 servers. ~25 of which run 24/7. Installed middle of last year, and has worked great for these businesses, and protected them fine.

There's some real-world experience for you.

3. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Lord help me. My deepest condolences mate :D

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I have numbers too. My Grand Daughters infected their computer big time. They were using a Comodo beta AV. I uninstalled the Beta, and installed Avast. It immediately did a boot scan and found 77 instances of the Vundo Trojan and sent them to the Chest (quarantine). All better now. I'm really impressed at how it updates itself. Not to forget the daily definition updates. As for lousy skins, you can download one you like. ;)

5. dell boy

dell boy Registered Member

yeh v5 has a nice looking gui and is scrapping the skins, all one layout and its good so no worries..

6. icr

icr Registered Member

Yep the GUI is quite good also the new Avast! has firewall and other additions can't wait for beta to start.

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

icr - will the firewall be optional? I don't want a firewall included.

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

:shifty:

:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2009
  9. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

A 2/3-page topic on Avast, based on anecdotal evidence about one computer brought to a local computer repair shop?
    I have a review ready about Avira, based on my neighbourhood butcher's laptop and one about Kaspersky, based on my grandfather's PC.
    Anyone interested? :rolleyes:

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's optional. Besides, there will be different editions so no one will force you to use something you don't need.

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Great! :D

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

vlk also said, dont build this up to be more then it may be.

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

He said that for something completely different.

14. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Looks beautiful :D

15. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Updated blog post:
    http://blog.avast.com/2009/08/10/what-is-avast-responsible-for/

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2009
  16. cheater87

Avast has a boot time scan which is very useful. :) Plus the auto updates are great and the new version will have heretics.

17. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Heretics, you say? Alwill had better watch out for Cardinal Fang, then. :D

18. dell boy

well if you actually heard the truth, avast has been using heuristics for a while now but not marketing it, i read it in one of those blogs about the new avast 5...

19. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I'd be more interested to find out about their planned proactive features in detail as that's what is really needed today. :doubt:

20. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ye im waiting for blog posts going in depth on the tech.

21. lonelywolf

lonelywolf Registered Member

I would think that blocking scripts as a way of preventing malwares is very important, wouldn't you all say so? I think the pro edition of Avast is way better in detecting malwares than their free version. Avast pro is only lacking a good firewall. Anyway, no antivirus solution alone, not even with a good integrated firewall, can give every user peace of mind right now. Only multilayered protection can. One can look for instance at the new kaspersky internet security 2010, its antivirus engine plays an insignificant role in it. More important is its HIPS module and something new in version 2010 i.e. Sandboxie.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  22. cheater87

If you want to block scripts and still have the free version of Avast get Noscript for Firefox as your script blocker.

23. dell boy

i wouldnt agree that it is "very" important, because the script runs the malware then the traditional scanner will pick it up, so its not like theres a huge gap in protection but im confident it helps...

24. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast! detects most of the scropts with Web Shield anyway so i wouldn't worry much about it.

25. lonelywolf

lonelywolf Registered Member

True but those people using Avast home edition have no idea what no script is and for the other part of the Avast home edition population it's pretty annoying. As for me, I am using something completely different. Online Armor premium and basically running the browser in safe mode i.e. without administrator privileges plus shadow defender running C:/ in shadow mode (most of the time ) plus Rising Antivirus (free edition), pretty light and safe altogether. Blocking scripts is important, many viruses are basically scripts.
    :cautious:
    Besides I wonder....Avast without the blocking script feature activated...hm..on avcomparatives tests for instance. There must be a a reason why this feature is being activated in the pro version. Don't be naive.
    :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.