About attacks from internet

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Oximoronman, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oximoronman

Oximoronman Registered Member

Hello I have Ubuntu, and I installed Firestarter firewall.It found for 45 minutes 6-7 attacks, most from China and Turkey and blocked it. Should I worrield about that? And Linux also is not safe without security software. Many said to me before, hah Linux, no security need, it automatically hide ip ports and no one can attack.

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

If you have router with NAT or SPI firewall you should be fine. Those "attacks" are probably just port scans or something similar.

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

stupid portscans or torrent relicts for the previous owner of your ip. dont care and get a descent router.

4. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

[Disclaimer: I am not a network security export. Don't assume I'm correct.]

I wouldn't advise using Firestarter, it is badly designed (can only cover one interface at a time!) and no longer developed. Ubuntu already comes with a firewall called UFW (just run 'sudo ufw enable').

@hqsec, if he's seeing those port scans then he's not behind a router I'd imagine... A router or firewall would stop such things.

@Oximoronman, 6-7 scans in 45 minutes is an unusually low number. My old-laptop-turned-router got more more than 30 in the last hour or so.

I don't believe there's much danger if you're not running any listening services. But if you are running Samba or SSH, or other services that expose ports, you might have a problem.

Client side attacks are another matter entirely. Linux applications are vulnerable to them just like Windows ones. Self-installing Linux malware is quite rare though (at least for now).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.