Able to block animated gifs in IE-6?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, May 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I find animations on websites detract significantly to my web browsing experience. Case in point, I used to be subjected to a large animation of a black man in underwear doing a dance move as an advertisement for K-mart. Thankfully Norton's adblocker bannished that little side show from the margin of my screen.
    I guess in advertising the idea is that it's okay to annoy people because it gets their attention, however, there still seem to be web page designers who do not even realize the animations are annoying to some people.
    On MSNBC's news page they have this little banner with links to specific stories that go darting across the top of the screen every few seconds. It seems to be an animated giff.
    Here's my question: Is it possible to turn the thing off (the animated giff headline banner) without going through a billion steps, or should i just delete MSNBC news from my shortcuts and be done with it?

- HandsOff

2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I'm not sure what this will or won't control -- but it's the simplest and (to me) most obvious thing to try.

In Internet Options/Advanced, try un-ticking "Play animations" (in the Multimedia section) and see if that helps. Don;t forget that for many of the changes here, they won't take effect till the next time you start IE.

3. vkidv

vkidv Registered Member

I think Proxomitron can stop animated GIFs?

I cant remember a site for the proxomitron but try this:

http://www.geocities.com/srl_list/index.html

Poke around at some of those links..And find one with a download for Proxomitron.

4. HandsOff

A belated thanks for the responses. i eventually did try turning off the multimedia animations, however, it did not stop the banners.

proxomitron? The name kind of grabs me...i guess it wouldn't hurt to look into it. obviously this problem of the banners is sort of trivial, however, if it (or something else) works I think it would be a valuable capability, in that it would allow one to view pages in a way that is more soothing.

-HandsOff

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Although Proximitron is no longer being developed, it is by far the best freeware I have ever used. I have used it for several years and would be lost without it.

It is a program you have to learn, but the default values on install will end much misery as far as surfing the Web go.

It will not wreck your system.

Download the exe file with the uninstaller.

http://home.arcor.de/six/download.html

Last edited: May 25, 2004
  6. HandsOff

Thanks Ronjor, and would I be correct in assuming

"Download the exe file with the uninstaller."

is the same as downloading the exe file without the installer :)

By the way, this author is right up my alley. I could tell when he said,

"to get the ball rolling (that is if you like rolling balls)...." I have determined to my satisfaction that it did stop the animated giff.

This is the sound of one hand clapping!

- HandsOff

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Handsoff

Glad you managed to translate my dyslexic post. :D

8. HandsOff

:cool: ...actually, i sort of liked how you worded it...made sense!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.