Abiword doing some strange stuff - problem?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Gullible Jones, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Online Armor Free is reporting that my copy of Abiword is doing some rather odd things...

- Every time it starts, it attempts to do a raw write to part of the hard drive. Obviously I told OA to block this, there is no reason I can think of for a word processor to do such a thing.

- When I try to save a file in it, it tries to control svchost.exe using OLE. OA's popup says it could be able to access the internet indirectly using such methods. Not sure if a word processor controlling svchost is normal or not, I'm not really that familiar with Windows' architecture.

I'm beginning to wonder if the copy of Abiword I installed was infected, or if this app is just horribly coded. It shouldn't be infected, I got it from Filehippo which AFAIK is trustworthy...

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

If you got it from a trustworthy source and have no other problems, perhaps you have not listed it as trusted in OA programs?

3. Whether it's listed as trusted or not doesn't concern me. What concerns me is that a word processor probably should not be doing low-level disk writes!

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

If you do not tell OA that it is trusted then OA will do it's job and tell you what Abiword wants to do each time you try to use it.

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Which AbiWord is it? I have 2.8.1, it differs from some earlier versions in having an online 'collaborate' function on it. This may be a factor.

6. But I am not going to trust it if it is doing stuff like low-level disk writes, I first need to know that it's unadulterated.

Latest, 2.8.4. Still seems strange to me that such a function would do a low-level write every time the program started, though...

7. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

It seems odd. It could just be a bug though. The earlier version of AbiWord I had worked fine, I'm not really sure why I updated. I have noticed with mine that if I make a screenprint it seems to save it perfectly OK until you open the file after saving. Then it is compressed together as if being re-sized by the re-sizing handles. To get around this you can re-size it before saving, even if you aren't making any real difference. It just seems the act of re-sizing makes it save properly. I assumed it was just a bug. Maybe it's something like that? Just some odd bug?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.