Abbreviated words

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by twl845, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi All,
    As we read the posts on this forum and many more, we are continuously confronted with abbreviations for everything such as products and companies etc. Some folks who are professionals working in the industry recognize these abbreviations, but for the average intermediate ability person like myself, it makes it difficult to understand an article or post if we don't know what the abbreviations mean. I have learned what a lot of them are, but sometimes the poster will drop 2 or 3 of these in a post, and I for one am lost to know what he is talking about.
    Wouldn't it be great if the full name is included next to the abbreviation at least the first time it is used in a post or thread? :)

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Haha! What you propose makes too much sense! Therefore it shall never be!
    Seriously, I concur, of course. But the acronym-droppers are here to stay. All we can do is to try to ascertain the meaning by looking elsewhere in the thread, turning to Google, or employing the old tried-and-true method that I most prefer... asking the poster what it means. :cool:

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

4. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Thanks, JRViejo.
    Now I can see that twl845 is using Methylenebisacrylamide and the Special Air Service to protect his computer(s).:D

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

:D You're welcome! Take care.

6. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ twl845

Hi, great minds think alike ;) Over a year ago i had the same thoughts & made a thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=275163 As i felt that many of the the abbreviations used on here are not common ones to be found in Acronym Finders etc !

I also thought it would be useful/helpful to a number of people. Maybe it still would be ? Of course all those that might appreciate such a thread, won't all be viewing today, or even this week/month etc ! So not receiving tons of immediate :thumb: etc is no proof it wouldn't be of service ;)

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for the acronym finder. I have a few other acronym finders myself. They often return an answer of ?.

8. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

MBAM, SSM, WSA, DW, SBIE etc.....I usually fathom out! and when in doubt I ask. :D

9. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

This isn't just Wilders but many forums from what I have seen. I think some just try to look cool using a bunch of acronyms with no regard for people who may be new and not know what they are talking about. I have seen these same threads on other boards.

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Let's start a movement. Every time someone uses an acronym, we reply with "and this acronym means what?'

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

12. crash79`

crash79` Registered Member

"And this acronym means what"?
    John

13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

AFAIK, it means way to go! :cautious:

14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I use Urban Dictionary, which works well on general abbreviations/acronyms, but not security-specific ones.

15. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Exactly ;)

16. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Well, FWIW, my thanks to JRViejo were sincere as I was impressed that his link gave up the real MBAM and SAS even though you are given alot of alternatives to screen out - hence my little joke about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.