Aargh!! Please Help. Remote Prodecure Call

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Pan, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pan

Pan Guest

Hi

Having problems. I disabled remote procedure call in Services to close port 135, it closed the port but i'ts stopping alot of things functioning so I need to enable it again.

Problem is why I go into services it won't let me into the properties of it when i doubleclick to change it back. I doubleclick or right click properties and it simply does nothing. For that matter it won't let me change anything in services now.

I have tried in safe mode with the same results. Have you got any ideas? Hope someones online.

Thx.

2. Pan

Pan Guest

Hmmm

I think I can't edit any services, because I can only have one window open in any application for some reason. Like in IE, I cannot right click and open a site in a new window and stuff like that. :(

3. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

4. Pan

Pan Guest

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I already cracked it though a minute ago :D

Yes I was having the same problem in safe mode.

But I searched throug the registry and found I could renable RPC to strat automatically in there, so did that, rebooted, now i'm fine.

Panic over. :)

5. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Pan,

Good to here your Panic is over, but when these strange things happen a few good scans (AV, AT, Spyware and checking Windows files) may still be a good idea. ;)

Regards,

Pieter

6. Pan

Pan Guest

I'll be doing all that lot later, will try the windows scanning thing to, obviously some side effect of disabling RPC though, although don't know why on earth it would do a thing like that. I won't be touching that again!

7. Pieter_Arntz

A lot of other services do depend on RPC, so disabling it could easily mess up some things.

8. Pan

Pan Guest

Yeah true, I half expected it not to go well, but stopping me from opening new windows and stuff is weird.

9. Pieter_Arntz

Have a look: http://members.internettrash.com/megapolon/xptweak2.html

Thank you for making me find that site. :D

Regards,

Pieter

10. root

root Registered Member

There was a thread a while back about disabling port 135 and someone said they had got by with disabling it.
    Like you, I found that to be a disaster in Win2K. Some things are just necessary for Windows to function.
    Blocking port 135 with your firewall is the way to go. If your firewall does not block port 135, get one that will. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.