a2 or ewido?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by -z3r0-, Jan 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -z3r0-

-z3r0- Registered Member

What one would you guys reccomend?

I am probably gonna just stick with the free version if that matters.

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Hi -z3r0-,

both are very good and the developers are doing a hard work to improve their programs, but the ewido is growing very fast and well...

You can install them and decide what you will use in the future, or use both... :)

3. -z3r0-

-z3r0- Registered Member

the free version of either doesnt have real time scanner does it?

Isnt it something that has to be just ran like a program every now and then?

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Yep, they doesn't have real time scanner on the free version...
    With the free version you can run the scanner, for example, one time peer week, peer 2 weeks, peer month or whatever you want... and you need to update the definitions before run the scanner...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  5. -z3r0-

-z3r0- Registered Member

Is runnin it just once a week enough or is real time reccomended?

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

For extra protection it's recommended to use the real time protection, but if you can't use it, run the scanner once a week will be enough... ;)

7. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Don't forget: if you take the right precautions, you can avoid risks. That means that you can neglect a lot of security measures too. Stay away from vulnerable products and be careful on the internet. Saves a lot of headaches.

8. duckhunt

duckhunt Guest

Why not use both? It never hurts to have more than one opinion, same goes for trojan scanners.

9. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I have chosen to go for Ewido. It looks to be one of the best around. But I think that you should buy the paid version because it get's even better with that one ;)

10. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

exactly, safe hex is the only way to go

cheers

11. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi z3r0,

Here is some feedback on Ewido,

Before I installed KAV 4.5 along with ProcessGuard it would catch some minor spyware now and then. With KAV 4.5 and PG 3.0, nothing seems to get through anymore, so I can't say how effective it is alround. My general advice nowadays is to make sure that your AV has broad virus and trojan coverage and if you can install PG, do so as a front-line defense. After that, any of the ATs should be pretty much the same. BTW, I also have BOClean and Giant running, and they have never has caught anything either, probably because nothing is getting through.

Rich

12. Infinity

lol, you got yourself a fortress :D

I am running Ewido too because it is my feeling it is doing good on a short term allready so I am confident about Ewido which doesn't mean anything regarding A2 or Boclean.

13. richrf

richrf Registered Member

lol, yep. One can almost trace my "security history" by what I have running. At this point it is way overkill. I know it. And over time, I will be removing the products one by one as they age.

Once I installed KAV 4.5 and PG, nothing seemed to get through anymore. I run TDS-3 (one of my first purchases) now and then. TDS-3 use to pick up stuff that others miss, but no more. Ditto for TrojanHunter. The only other product that finds anything - albeit very minor - is Ad-aware.

So nowadays, I tell people to start with a good firewall, add a really good AV (with a backup because I still think overlapping virus detectors is a good idea, even if it is one of the online ones), and PG, if a user can figure it out - 3.0. being much more friendly than 2.5, but it does require onging intervention when new programs are installed or even during updates (I have to give BOClean permission everyday because of the way BOClean updates are run).

Actually, with products like PG, life has become much more simple - I think. But it too a while before I got there as my setup reveals. :).

Rich

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  14. Infinity

I really don't know if that would be overkill, it all depends on what you like to do with your pc, someone could find using kav pro doesn't need any supplementary antitrojan at all, same like firewall with popup blocker,...

I wouldn't call it overkill, I would call it "collecting" I do believe that this exist.:D

I edited my poor spelling btw :D

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  15. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I guess collecting is a good way to put it. :) Each product had a good reason at one point, and now I have them all. :) But running them, has given me a good perspective on what constitutes good front-line defense, back-up resident, and on-demand assistence. Without trying it out, I would have never known.

BTW, one other thing I always recommend nowadays is to make sure that one has a good image copy in case something bad does breakthrough. I have found that Image for DOS (TerabyteUnlimited) and Ghost 2003 (yes I have both - I purchased them cheap) are sufficient for my needs.

Cya around and Happy New Years,
    Rich

16. wolfpack

wolfpack Guest

One good reason to have many backup programs is because if you ever did get some kind of malware that could disable your main av/at/as it's nice to have a second, third, fourth ect.. backup program already on your system ready to do the job. I find it comforting to know I have at least one backup for all my security programs should such a situation develop.

Also having multiple av/at/as for detecting the same thing will only help you find more malware and can be used for crosschecking if any is found. So using both A2 and Ewido doesn't sound like too bad of an idea to me. Actually I consider that not nearly enough anti-trojans imo. A better idea would be to have A2, Ewido, TDS, TrojanHunter, BoClean, Pest Patrol, SpySweeper and a few more in my paranoid opinion :D , but i'm sure that's probably too extreme for most users. ;)

17. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

I could not reccomend ewido more strongly.

18. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Welll, I didn't want to brag, but my full toolkit consists of:

1) KAV 4.5
    2) NOD32
    3) TDS-3
    4) Ewido
    5) BOClean
    6) TrojanHunter
    7) ProcessGuard 3.0
    :cool: ZoneAlarm Pro
    9) Ad-aware
    10) SpywareGuard
    11) SpywareBlaster
    12) Spybot
    13) Giant Anti-Spyware (this program has become less than worthless
    14) Hijackthis
    15) Regseeker
    16)CWShredder
    17)WormGuard
    1:cool: PortExplorer
    19) FluxScanner
    20) Jpegscanner
    21) ProcessExplorer

And of course, I actually do something with my PC so I have the following application programs
    1) Internet Explorer! :doubt:

Of course, I have now switched to Firefox which has made the whole list pretty much obsolete. But I did do a good job of protecting IE when I was using it, didn't I? ;)

Rich

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Excuse a dummy. What did the addition of Firefox make unnecessary in that somewhat long list?

Jerry

20. Notok

Notok Registered Member

One thing you can do, too, is schedule updates and scans with a2, then you can just run manual scans with Ewido and have the best of both worlds :)

21. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Lot of spyware and stuff were getting through because of security holes in IE. Here is an example:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12322096~mode=flat

FireFix doesn't have nearly as many holes - because it was designed with security in mind, as opposed to letting MS get into my computer. Different design objectives.

Rich

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  22. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I think the name in your first sentence must read IE...

23. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks. I corrected.

Rich

24. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

No one discussed resource useage? I am evaluating these products for my Compaq (4 years old machine) Persario, 800MHz, 256 ram, Celeron chip 82810E (discontinued), Hard Drive is a Quantum Fireball, Frontside Bus speed is 100 MHz, the computer is in a public place in my home. BoClean makes for a noisy hard drive Based on observation I know is is BoClean. (I love BoClean by the way so please do not flame me or call me stupid, its probably more to do with my machine then BoClean, I have uninstalled and reinstalled BO many times but the problem presists after a few days). I am not totally on the free path yet, but will need a real good reason to pay. Never noticed a trojan infection or kill by any security program on this machine.

Any additional thoughts or comments on this thread would be appreciated, as I saw no need to start a new one. :ninja: Thanks all. ;)

Side note: BoClean will stay as is on my Wireless connected more silent Emachine less then one year old. Again, I think this is more to do with the machines then BO. :)

25. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

In my experience with BOClean on older machines, the only slight noticeable effect, is on startup, where there is an intensive memory scan. After this intense file scanning, BOClean normally simply sits very quietly in the system tray.

Since you seem to have a problem with one of your computers, this maybe related to some sort of incompatibility with BOClean and the system's other software or hardware.

Well worth giving details to their support where I am sure Kevin will try and get you sorted ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.