A2 doesn't like Cain&Able Why?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by dannyboy 950, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950 Registered Member

Jan 7, 2003
    The only thing A2 has been finding lately is a few cookies and alerting on Cain&Able and a couple of the WinPStools.

What is it about Cain &Able that A2 does not like. None of my other scanners alert on Cain&Able.

I just ran your on-line scanner as well and it does the same thing so my older version of 1.7 should not make a difference.
  2. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

May 6, 2004
    I would guess that other antiviruses/anti-malware also labels this program as suspect. If you go here, and read the first 2 sentences:

"Cain & Abel is a password recovery tool for Microsoft Operating Systems. It allows easy recovery of various kind of passwords by sniffing the network, cracking encrypted passwords using Dictionary, Brute-Force and Cryptanalysis attacks, recording VoIP conversations, decoding scrambled passwords, revealing password boxes, uncovering cached passwords and analyzing routing protocols."

I guess you can understand that this is a tool that have the potential of being dangerous to a system. (In other words, it may pose a potential threat, but doesn't necessarily mean that it is.)

EDIT: But you should also note that it says on the site:
    "oxid.it is not a virii site
    Antivirus vendors could have signatures for some of the programs on this site. Cain & Abel v2.0 for example has been classified as a low-risk troyan virus even if the program's features are all documented in the manual.rtf file and Abel (the server component) is completely visible (the blue icon in the system tray). I can assure to you that there are no viruses or hidden features in the programs from my site. Cain & Abel v2.0 does not infect files, it does not send your passwords over the Internet or anything like that...."
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.