A2 doesn't like Cain&Able Why?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by dannyboy 950, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950 Registered Member

The only thing A2 has been finding lately is a few cookies and alerting on Cain&Able and a couple of the WinPStools.

What is it about Cain &Able that A2 does not like. None of my other scanners alert on Cain&Able.

I just ran your on-line scanner as well and it does the same thing so my older version of 1.7 should not make a difference.

2. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

I would guess that other antiviruses/anti-malware also labels this program as suspect. If you go here, and read the first 2 sentences:

"Cain & Abel is a password recovery tool for Microsoft Operating Systems. It allows easy recovery of various kind of passwords by sniffing the network, cracking encrypted passwords using Dictionary, Brute-Force and Cryptanalysis attacks, recording VoIP conversations, decoding scrambled passwords, revealing password boxes, uncovering cached passwords and analyzing routing protocols."

I guess you can understand that this is a tool that have the potential of being dangerous to a system. (In other words, it may pose a potential threat, but doesn't necessarily mean that it is.)

EDIT: But you should also note that it says on the site:
    "oxid.it is not a virii site
    Antivirus vendors could have signatures for some of the programs on this site. Cain & Abel v2.0 for example has been classified as a low-risk troyan virus even if the program's features are all documented in the manual.rtf file and Abel (the server component) is completely visible (the blue icon in the system tray). I can assure to you that there are no viruses or hidden features in the programs from my site. Cain & Abel v2.0 does not infect files, it does not send your passwords over the Internet or anything like that...."

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.