A Wireless Bicycle Brake

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Searching_ _ _, Oct 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Most reassuring is this phrase:

A Wireless Bicycle Brake with 11 Nines Reliability - ZDNet

Let's hope your not on anyones list and they place a few RFJammers on your downhill run. :)

2. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Do you know how many Nike sneakers I went through as a kid.No brakes was not a big deal until my Nike Souls whore out.
    wireless will never be as reliable as hardwire.I was a service tech for 7 yrs with security,Firealrams,horn strobes,Pull stations are never wireless other then the smoke head or detector its self when it was physically Impossiable to get a wire there with out exposing the wire, another words snaked through walls or ceilings.Wireless was the last resort do to batttery failure or transmitter failure.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  3. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Have you tried putting your foot down at 35 miles an hour? It's not easy, especially if you haven't done it before.
    Did you ever practice laying your bike down? I used to do it in front of oncoming cars, timing it to see how close I could get. :D:D Good thing I didn't spend too much time perfecting this feat. :eek: Wireless brakes are almost as dumb.

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Especially when one sneaker goes flying off.:eek:

5. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I'm a bike rider and I like the idea - sort of. While "not perfect but acceptable" sounds ominous, 99.999999999997% reliability is reassuring, if true. I note many new cars are going with "steering by wire" and some Mercedes-Benz and Toyota cars have brakes by wire. And of course, aircraft have been "flying by wire" for many years.

My problem with that figure is the article says the statistics are based on "...a trillion braking attempts." A trillion? That's 1000 billion! I just don't believe humans have been on this Earth that long to test anything 1 trillion times.

What happens when the battery dies? Air brakes on big trucks work by air pressure keeping the brakes OFF! When the driver presses the peddle, pressure releases and the brakes are applied. If a rock breaks the air hose and the brakes fail, you don't have a runaway truck, you have a truck where suddenly all the wheels lock up and truck comes to a (often sudden) stop.

I don't like the picture in my head of going down a hill and suddenly the front wheel locks up. It reminds me of when I was a kid and popped a little wheely to hop a curb and watched the previous 8 or 9 years of my life go by when my front wheel came off. Fortunately, when the front fork did come down, it was on grass and my first solo flight missed two trees.

6. yeah i want wireless braking man why even ride a bike if you need to get that lazy lol

7. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

o_O Not sure how laziness comes into it. The system does not read your mind. You still have to squeeze a handle when you want to stop. The handle just doesn't have any attached cables.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.