A Web-Only Primer on Public Key Encryption

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Paul Wilders, Aug 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Public-key encryption, as noted in the profile of cryptographer Bruce Schneier, is complicated in detail but simple in outline. The article below is an outline of the principles of the most common variant of public-key cryptography, which is known as RSA, after the initials of its three inventors; a mathematically detailed explanation of RSA by the programmer Brian Raiter, understandable to anyone willing to spend a little time with paper and pencil, is available here.

Read the full article here

2. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

While on the subject of encryption, The PGP Corporation has been formed and PGP 8 is announced :
    http://www.pgp.com/faq.php

3. Paul Wilders

Mickey,

Yep. Just curious: would you drop the ckt version for it?

regards.

paul

4. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

The reason i used the ckt version up till now is that it was not possible to get PGP DISK from Network associates in a recent version providing the security needed.
    I even sent then an email couple months back offering to pay them for the priviledge of using what might be considered an illegal copy ( ckt) and never received a reply.
    I consider Ihmad the working force begind PGP in the last few years in light of NA's no longer developing/supporting PGP.
    But now that PGP has been bought by a new corporation, there is no doubt in my mind they will not be as conciliant with Ihmad as NA was, and will get him to stop.
    He actually made a statement encouraging everyone to go with PGP 8 when it's out. Don't forget that all his work whas done for free, so it's not like he will loose much stopping what he was doing.
    The new corporation would actually be wise to get him onboard as he certainly has the knowledge to be a great asset to them, if only as a consultant.
    To answer your question : Provide me with a recent working PGP version that includes PGP DISK, and yes i will go for it.
    I will gladly pay for the protection encryption provides to my sensitive data and files.

5. Paul Wilders

Amen to that!

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.