"A Virtually Secure Browser" by Seth Misenar

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ssj100, Oct 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssj100

ssj100 Guest

2. Doodler

Doodler Registered Member

Agreed.

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Yes, the author completely missed this important security feature of SandBoxie. However, it seems he's more interested in a solution that benefits enterprise environments, where a virtualization application can be centrally managed, and this is where Thinapp excels, albeit at a much greater cost.

4. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Very true,most reviews seem to focus on just the one aspect of SBIE without really explaining it's wondrous depths.

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

About SRP

Most system managers use a Software Restriction Policy for deny execute. With numerus search results on SSJ+LUA+SRP, I trust you are familiar with that concept. :p

About Sandboxie

Another reason not mentioned is that the author obviously is happy with the web 3.0/cloud re-incarnation of the 'thin client' concept. Only we seem to be stuck with fat PC's with no smartcard/biometric based security and 'travelling user profiles'.

Maybe he hopes that Intel and Google might cause some stir with their new 'lean' OS-ses. Maybe he hopes that netbook and notebook producers (which are marketing biometric access as a additional feature) will push desktop producers to offer the same. So maybe he dreams of some sort of biometric access on lean os-ses with Web 4.0/cloud 2.0, where ordinary PC users do not store data on their home PC, but have it secured and accessible from the cloud.

In anticipation of this dream Thin-Appp is the best choice in corporate environments, because it fits in just perfect in the centrally managed thin client dream revived. SBIE-fans: I would not worry to much :isay:

About Chrome/Iron
    It really it is a pity the reviewer did not go deeper on the added security of the Chrome/Iron browser in a x64 environment (since SBIE will not be released on x64).

Regards Kees

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I tend to agree with this, because I'm having difficulty finding virtualizing/sandboxing software that matches the level of security SB provides while matching SB's minimal footprint on system resources. IMO, Shadowdefender is the only product I've tested that comes close.

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

did you try DefenseWall?it may not be same but similar product and it is good program:thumb:

8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Yes. Actually twice, one of the trials on my VirtualBox setup, both cases XP, and it's a great program at what it does, no doubt, but unfortunately it causes very noticeable sluggishness on my browsing speeds.

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

that is good:thumb: it is fast here:)

10. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Strange, it shouldn't be like that.You had to call for support this case.

11. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I'm quite adventurous, so I'll give it a whirl on my Vista system and post how things went.

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i want to mention that i didnt choose sandboxie cause the browsing slow down only but i personally prefer DefenseWall over all;) preference choice:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.