A Virtual Memory Problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kas, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kas

Kas Registered Member

I have entered this post to on the appropriate thread, but as it is a past thread, nobody has responded.

Re: Virtual Memory

Windows XP Home, SP3, IE7.

My System properties/Performance Options/Virtual Memory details are ;-
    Total paging file size for all drives = 674
    System managed size = 1.8 GHz, 448 RAM (512 RAM total, 64 RAM allocated to graphics)
    Drive = C: [Model 20]
    Space available = 65914 MB
    VM set on system managed size.

Total paging file size for all drives ;-
    Minimum allowed = 2 MB
    Recommended = 669 MB
    Currently allocated = 674 MB
    -------
    Problem ;-
    After Hibernation, a balloon frequently comes up saying "VM is low, Windows is increasing the VM, but some systems may fail"

I usually re-boot when this happens to restore the situation, which means I lose all my open panels and work e.g IE, OE, etc.

Can anybody spot what is wrong and advise me how to stop this happening ?
    Many people say to enter 2560 MB in the Min. and Max. boxes of the customise VM option. How come this when all the recommendations are 1.5 x RAM, which is 768 MB max. ?
    It seems that when Hibernating, the saved processes are committed to memory, then the pagefile memory plus the saved options exceeds the VM and BANG up comes the warning balloon.
    If I am to use the customise option, WHAT VM values do I put in the MIN. and MAX. boxes, given my details as a above ?
    KAS

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Your problem arises because you have used all of the available RAM + virtual memory. If this is happening when you are letting Windows manage virtual memory then you could try to stop any unnecessary programs you are using or running in the background. One thing that would help is to increase RAM.

3. lon_don

lon_don Registered Member

4. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

@kas, if this problem is giving you that much trouble, why don't you start from scratch? Reformat, reinstall windows XP again. I am sure your problem will go away. Most likely, sometime ago, you may have tinkered with some setting etc that is causing you this problem.

Typically, hibernation does not cause this sort of a problem and therefore most people will be unable to help you out, as they never faced this problem themselves.

Is there a reason you don't want to reinstall XP again?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.