A Very Seriouse BUG !

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by LifeDj, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LifeDj

LifeDj Registered Member

i have Acronis True Image 9.0.
    i created a backup image for my C:\ Partition(Windows) and saved it in the D:\ partition of the same disk.
    after a month windows got a viruse, so i started the recovery process. during the process, the power went off, i booted my computer when the electricity got back and what a surprise : old windows still exists and the most important problem is that partition D is corrupted !!!!!!!!:'(
    i bought True image to prevent this kind of data loose,
    help please.

2. FBMachines

FBMachines Registered Member

LifeDJ, that sounds like a chain of bad luck but where is the bug? Most people will tell you to save your backup images on a seperate hard drive or disc of some sort because a hard drive crash is the most common reason you would use your backup software. How do you know your "D" partition is corrupt? What is it doing or saying when you try to access it? Also, what build of True Image 9 are you using? We need a little more info to try and help.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I don't see any bugs here but I see room for much improvement in your backup protocol.

Saving a partition image to the same Hard Disk Drive is very risky business. Why? Because if the drive goes bad (hardware failure) you have no backup. Otoh, if you save the backup to a diff HDD, the odds that both HDDs will go bad at the very same time are very remote.

And of course, if the partition or drive on which you save your backups becomes corrupted, you cannot expect the data to still be usable. If you cannot afford a second HDD, then consider CDs or DVDs, which are relatively cheap -- although HDDs are pretty cheap these days also.

A reasonable backup protocol calls for regular backups to a different physical drive and an ocassional backup to yet another physical drive (DVD, HDD, etc) saved at a diff location (off-site), just in case a fire, lightning, or some other catastrophe ruins both your original and regular backup drive at the same time.

You can do without these things; it depends on how much you are willing to risk and how valuable the stuff on your disk(s) is to you.

4. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Bad luck, however :

1) Don't store your primary backup on the same physical device as its source.
    2) Don't rely on a single copy of a backup unless your data is not that important to you
    3) Rehearse your restoration procedure to ensure that you have a "whole" solution.
    4) Your definition of the term "bug" and mine, differ considerably ;)

F.

5. FBMachines

FBMachines Registered Member

Also, have you tried just getting rid of the virus with a good AV program such as Kaspersky or NOD32 (I don't want to start the KAV vs NOD debate PLEASE!)? If you can't recover your "D" drive this might be your last ditch effort. You can get free trials of both.

6. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Note that programs like r-studio are pretty good at recovering files from corrupted partitions. The part of the program which scans your disk to show you what you could recover is normally fully functional in the free trial version.

F.

7. LifeDj

LifeDj Registered Member

well, thanks for all the suggestions,
    1 ) the bug here (as i know) that acronis must have a roll back procedure - because my computer shut down while recovering drive C and when started again the partition D was currupted some one tell me WHYo_O the back up was for drive C).

2) the data i need is *.Doc files, i have downloaded programs that do recovery BUT the recovered files is not the same even not the same language ( it look like this §ôؤ'CE☺<▲( .... ) any ideas PLEASE i'm all ears :)

thanks

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

What you have been describing is not a bug but what appears for all the world as a misunderstanding of how to use the program. I don't mean to be curt or rude -- I'm jsut trying to direct you in a way that is most likely to help you.

First, you should read the manual. If there's stuff you don't understand in the manual, come back here and ask specific questions.

ATI isn't a rollback program like GoBack but even Goback wouldn't help if it was corrupted by a virus.

The basic idea is to a save a disk's image at a momemnt in time, store it in a safe place, thenyou can put that image back on a drive at a later time if the original drive goes woncky.

9. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Your big mistake was having the backup on the same physical drive. You were doing a lot of disk activity and the power failed and in this situation it is not surprising that a disk might be corrupted. An archive on a different physical drive or media would have provided a recovery mechanism.

Do your recovered files contain the TI image archive? If so, maybe you can mount it and recover your docs. If you used the default normal compression, the archive is compressed which would result in meaningless characters or you are displaying binary files. Of course, corrupted data will often display meaningless characters.

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Your definition of a bug is aconris didn't undo something that was carelessness on your part?? That like saying Aconris would have been responsible if your drive failed, and you weren't wise enough to put the image else where. Come on. If power in your area is prone to going out then you need some kind of power back up to prevent what happened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.