A/v only,ratings do not matter.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pugmug, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have installed xp on many older laptops people buy at yardsales ranging from p133's to p300's, with 128mb ram. It is no problem except waiting for 32x cdroms to read the cd lol.

I would say your best bet is to turn off all the visual eye candy, and learn how to trim your services way way down. The laptop I use with most is an old Micron p300 with 128mb ram and xp pro sp2, because the batterly life on it still beats out my new mobile cpus. I code on it and use internet. Sure you won't get that instant response like a new computer, but I would hardly say it is unusable.

IMO the best av for this type thing WAS f-prot, but the old version no longer has updates, and the new version I don't know about.

Keep your running processes to a minimum and shave the eye candy, and you might be able to get better av performance.

I have given dozens of computers to people for next to nothing. I have bought them from the schools for $5 when they get rid of them, OS and all. I even bought 10 nice 1.2g machines with xp pro oem keys for $10 each last year. Another place is community colleges and large businesses. Often they offer older machines to employees who don't want stuff that old, and they gladly give them away or charge very small price instead of paying to have them taken somewhere. You can check resources like these out and then strip down machines for upgrades.

Sul.

2. risl

risl Registered Member

I use Dr.Web without mail guard, and it's usually around 6-10mb of memory usage(scheduler+2 spidernt processes). This doesn't decrease protection at all but is less memory consuming.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

sorry i was a bit harsh earlier.
    i think linux would be your best bet.
    i would reccomend drweb without the mail scanner. but since you said free av i would reccomend doing a custom install of avast with just the resident scanner and on demand scanner. aka no mail scanner,no web scanner etc.
    avast needs at least 64mb of ram and reccomends 128mb according to their website.
    i know enough people have said it but i really think that upgrading the ram would be a good idea.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  4. risl

risl Registered Member

Avast with only standard shield uses currently about 18mb of memory on my laptop.

5. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

I applaud your actions! Realistically, what is the need for an AV on a computer for a child (age unknown)? Will it be used to access the internet or only to play games locally, view cd's, etc.? Any sensitive data on computer which could be compromised by malware?

Rob

6. Doodler

Doodler Registered Member

The above post has me thinking way outside the box. If the OP is pursuing AV solely for internet protection (and we don't know for sure), then how about no AV at all and instead go with something like Sandboxie (about 450kb)?

7. gery

gery Registered Member

can you play games with this machine? well i guess not.
    as for the av i think Avast standard and network
    shield

8. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Thank's to all who gave input.I found what I needed from it.ps. XP Home work's very well on 128MB ram.Tweak it,lol.

9. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Lol,thank's but it runs fine,tweak,tweak,tweak!

10. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Your last 2 different post say 2 different thing's.Thank's but no thank's.ps.XP running great here.

11. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Thank's again!

12. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

dok,why delete your post?

13. Kayracc

Kayracc Registered Member

avira is the lightest AV software i've used, and it's also free, perhaps your best bet

14. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

Well, I guess it depends on the level of games - I imagine it is adequate for children's games and entertainment software? :)

15. hex_614

hex_614 Registered Member

maybe nod 2.7. but my god., these days computer has lots of ram. i think the least i can see is 512mb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.