A useful resource for running process identification...

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by blueblack, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blueblack

blueblack Registered Member

I found this site called processed.com (http://www.processid.com). It got a list of thousands of process names and their descriptions. So next time you cant figure out what is that process that runs on your machine and catches 99% of your CPU, use this site.

Cheers,
    BlueBlack

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

3. ErikAlbert

That's the reason why both links don't work :
    MVPS Hosts file :
    127.0.0.1 "www.malwhere.com" #[Rogue/Suspect]

4. hadi

hadi Guest

Both links do work

5. dog

dog Guest

I'd stick with Process Library and the Greatis DB as resources, as there isn't very much information provided in ProcessIDS DB, which makes it almost useless IMHO.

@ Hadi ... Erik explains in the post above yours why the site was unreachable for him, as the MVPS hosts is blocking any connection to it. ;)

6. ErikAlbert

If you don't care visiting blacklisted websites, than both links work indeed.

7. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Registered Member

I found the following program to be the same type as described in this thread and also free. I run it along with AVG Pro, Sygate Personal Firewall Pro, and Process Guard with no conflicts. Instead of just showing the process name, it tells you what it is, who made it, what program started it and all of the trees below it. It has never shown signs of being anything other than advertised and is a great source of information.

Especially the time line at the top of the program. You just hover your mouse over it and a window pops up telling you the time, process, and system usage.

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

8. ---

Blacklisted by who?

My hosts files doesn't list them.

9. ErikAlbert

Well I thought it was obvious in my two first posts :
    MVPS Hosts : http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

If security experts tell me that the MVPS Hosts is total nonsense, then I won't use it anymore.
    As long that doesn't happen, I consider MVPS as a good prevention tool, created by one or more security experts and I'm not planning to create my own Windows Hosts File, because I have other things to do.

If everything is questionable in the Security World, I better disconnect myself from the internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.