A typical KAV experience

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by QBgreen, Apr 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Running KAV 5.0.527 on my wife's XP Home machine. Just for grins, I checked the logs and discovered a multitude of caught trojans (mostly the idiotic ebay variations) and other assorted nastitudes. If not for this superior piece of software running as well as it does, I'd be blessed with the plaintive cry of "There's something wrong with my computer"! Kudos to the good Kaspersky people. Yes, I know that there are other other very fine programs, but the power and silence of KAV has my respect. :thumb:

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

While it is good that Kaspersky caught malware on your system, would it not be prudent to investigate how these programs got there in the first place? No virus scanner is 100% effective, and if you allow malware an entry point at some stage you will encounter something not detectable by KAV.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

In your case, I would cross-examine my wife too, to make a reconstruction of her dangerous behaviour on the internet possible and then take approperiate measurements to prevent infections in the future. ;)

5. Ned Slider

Ned Slider Registered Member

This sounds like Trojan.HTML.Fraud variants. Not sure why KAV is detecting them as trojans as they are just phishing emails (ebay) that KAV detects (and deletes).

6. QBgreen

This would normally be my approach. I've discovered that I'm infinitely more patient with those that pay me for my knowledge than those that I'm related to! :D That's why I put KAV on her machine. Everything is maxed out and automated. She's also running ewido on access guard as well as SBKF 4.23 (paid). With this setup and being behind my network, I don't have to keep repeating myself!

7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

LOL amazing how that works, isn't it? :D (I'm the same way at times :ninja: )

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I understand. Such a cross-examination on your wife might end up in a divorce.
    It depends on your priorities : a clean computer or another wife. :D

9. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

how about where kav identifies 2 files as viruses & you delete same. Than when I went to play my baseball simulation & went to print stats the program didn't work. It seems the files were false positives & now my game has to be uninstalled than reinstalled. Mind you that sounds easy but it's copy protected & not easy to remove the copy protection. One thing I consistently find with Kav is false positives...in fact after I went through that process on the game ran 6 different AV's to see if any others recognized these files as viruses. Only Kav did...

10. TNT

TNT Registered Member

What game is this we're talking about?

11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

When any AV tags a file(s) as malware you should always double-check with another scanner or upload to jotti's or virustotal/virus.org BEFORE taking any action and delete should be your last option!
    As mentioned, this should have been carried out BEFORE you deleted the files, particularly if you used the extended database ;)
    IME, and I have used KAV for many years, and even with the extended database, this is not a typical KAV experience.

12. larryb52

it called stratomatic baseball...simualtion based

13. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

You forgot to mention that you used the beta of Kaspersky and that the detections were made with the proactive defense and not with the AV (you actually complained that the scanner didn't pick it up) the files for which you asked for an link to submit and was then given directions on how to do this in 23 minutes and 49 minutes later said you had no interest in this and had uninstalled Kaspersky! Pretty difficult to fix issue's in a beta when the "beta tester" doesn't want to help fixing them.;)

14. larryb52

no this just happened over the weekend on the 'purchased' release .299...I'm just saying that it needs some work & sorry I'm not as techy as it seems & FWIW the other file I deleted was attached to a restore file & I figured KISS go it right so I deleted it. After I uninstalled I waited till the official KISS was released & went with that but as stated FP's still coming up. Also I found another AV that get's it wrong too F-Secure...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  15. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Well,well,well.Imagine if she or you browsed through Sandboxie.Every session gone after deleting the sanddox after surfing.

No need to find anything eh.

Virii,trojans in fact all malaware gone!!!!

Oh well,we live and learn.:)

16. QBgreen

It's not her web surfing that I'm concerned with. Firefox is the only browser that I allow, and she only goes to a few perfectly fine sites. It's her email habits that need reigning in. She won't open any attachments unless I see them first, but we all know that **** happens. So in lieu of making myself nuttier than I already am, I installed what I feel is enough quality software to do the job without too much intervention from me.

17. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

I hear you QBgreen. I love the protection of kav. I've been running it over a year now. Just renewed my licence for another year yesterday. I trialed about every antivirus out there. I actually bought licence for 3 different antivirus products. Needless to say, I let the licence for the other 2 expire. ;)

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Give them away to someone. Maybe someone will put them to good use instead of them just waiting there to expire.
    I gave away ArcaVir 2005 license to some random user last year because i didn't need it anymore. If you don't feel ok to give it away to some random ppl, ask someone from your family... just a tip:D It would be a shame not to use bougt licenses...

19. QBgreen

It's one of the few programs that always does what you expect of it! I've been running it as either a primary or secondary A/V for years. It's evolution has been very interesting, to say the least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.