A tutorial video by Comodo about infections

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by taleblou, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Give it a few days and it'll lead all of YouTube in thumbs up votes.

3. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

This is a great video explaining the terminology of how traditional antivirus works and how comodo works.

4. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

-For some, Comodo 101...;)
    -For others, Comodo Comedy...:D

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

LOL, so true :D

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm setting aside my thoughts about both the CEO and the company, and I'll criticize this as a user. For one thing, he's GOT to step aside and let someone else do the talking. Hearing him go on and on so slowly and writing on that board, was like taking a sedative. Also, he spent almost the entirety of the video talking about how an AV works and barely anything at all on how his product is so much better (Yeah, we get that AVs use a blacklist, and you use a whitelist...so?). D+...and that's a grade, not the name of the software component.

7. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

I think its a very good initiative, and would like to see all fw & avs do the same.

Too many users have no idea of how their software works or how to use it.

Someone please give comodo a break...by some peoples posts yould think it was crappy useless program but i have been very happy with it for more than 5 years almost no problems...one installation issue and i suspect it was my fault. I for one thank them for such a good program for free.

8. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

very good tutorial. Great job comodo..I smell something burning though..rofl..jk:D

9. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

Nothing burning here...

Just smouldering...

There! Its out

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  10. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Whats happening around the world presently,I highly doubt people are gonna be directing all of their attention to watching a Comodo video on youtube,there's far more important issues going on.

11. Kyle1420

So many off topic posts, Lets please keep on topic.

12. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I wonder, what is the purpose of the video? It is definitelly not meant for public, since most people will close it as soon as they find out, that it has 15 min or they will close it in about 1 min after watching it or they will eventually fall asleep. It is either made for pre-school kids or someone drunk got out from Comodo party a made this video. :doubt:

13. _kronos_

_kronos_ Registered Member

that video explains what the theory is.
    that video voluntarily does not explain what the reality is: that comodo sandbox is not that great idea (there are other sandboxes more secure), and it is the sandbox more overcame by malware.

now you can undestand how comodo sandbox disappointed expectations.

another point of view: is Melih comparing the mechanism of the sandbox and cloud-computing with that of a standard-antivirus?
    yes, and it is nonsense imho.
    do you want to really do a comparison?
    well install a hips, a sandbox, an antivirus, a cloudbased antimalware and just compare it to CIS effectiveness with real malwares.

Talk is cheap :rolleyes:

14. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Im not sure exactly what the purpose of the video is ,or who its intended to "educate"?.Its almost like an internal seminar video where company employees "bond" and congratulate themselves on the new buzzword or practice.I dont think every other av user is suddenly going to switch to comodo because of it.
    ellison

15. Kyle1420

Why do you have to bring all these other things to the table? He was just explaining the difference between default allow and default deny...

16. Kyle1420

It's obviously to help convince potential users of comodo, to use comodo.
    Though I think it could of been done with a bit more bling etc etc, hot babes\naughty teacher would attract more attention.

17. ellison64

Ahh right..perhaps pcworld and the like, will put a link (like the microsoft choose browser one) on peoples pcs directing them to the youtube video so they can make an informed desision o_O
    ellison

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

No, then they would have looked like fools and would have been taken even less seriously than many do now. The problem with your interpretation of the video is that it only leaves more question marks for those potential users than answers. What they end up getting is "Your AV allows everything by default, Comodo denys everything by default. Go "RTFM". That coupled with the speaker being a walking horse tranquilizer just makes this video not "must see TV". By the way "no pop-ups", and he leaves it at that? I can't wait to see the reaction of the user when that inevitable first "injection" message goes up.

19. _kronos_

_kronos_ Registered Member

I replied to your invitation to return on topic, but i understand that you just want the opinions of your choice at the table :isay:

Serious back..
    He is not explaining the difference between default deny and default allow.
    He's explaining the difference between Comodo IS and Antiviruses saying:
    "hey, watch me, ALL the others protect your computer in this way and they're wrong (simplifying their strategies and doing wrong-partial comparisons, as i said before), while our approach is better and WE do best of all"

i'm really disappointed that people does not understand it, and that we gave him more visibility of how many visits did the video

20. Kyle1420

Minus the sarcasm and personal remarks, your absolutely right.

21. Kyle1420

22. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That's not even close to what we're talking about here. There's nothing in the on-topic video to misinterpret, it's simply a VERY simplified explanation of default-allow/deny, with the vast majority spent on default-allow. Let's agree to disagree here, because we just aren't going to agree on the usefulness of this "tutorial" :D

23. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

From the YouTube page.
    The title:

24. ellison64

I just wonder if comodo is so good ,and every other av is so wrong then why use dacs to check unknown files ?Melih in his blog says "If there is an unknown file in your computer then this gets sent to DACS community, the community scans it with their anti virus products and send the result back to you!".But i thought the video is teaching me not to use other vendor avs as they might let in an unknown file,which is actually bad.But wait dacs cant work if everyone just uses comodo can it?.I actually installed cis yesterday.Removed AIS and did a macrium image just in case.Didnt have that many popups ,and found things to be quite fast.I did have pages every so often that would not load,or would load and be blank?,and that put me off.I didnt have the patience to try to find out why this was.Could have been a compatability issue with something.I restored image and happy again with AIS.I dont think CIS is that bad ,but the hard sell marketing,which im sure the video is just a part of ,i find very patronizing.Im scared to even lurk at comodo forums these days in case theres something subliminal going on :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.