A (sweet) collection of Windows programs - updated

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

All three are *****:thumb: :thumb:

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Hey I remember that list. I should check it out some more.

Also can we give more recommendations? Two programs Id like to see are Miranda IM and Sumatra PDF.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  4. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Of course! Recommendations are always welcome...
    Mrk

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

6. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Hi Mrk, maybe you could update your assessment of CCleaner as it is Version v2.02.527 now.

Why no mention of the two best security apps in being Sandboxie and Returnil? Unless I missed them somewhere?

From your site:

7. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

8. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Thanks guys!

I'll review those... Please bear in mind that I will only list apps that I have personally tested - more than 3 min - and found them to be bug-free and easy to use.

Regarding CCleaner, I'll have to think about it. I'm not in the mood to kill my TCP/IP stack, even if it's the matter of 5 min of reimaging...

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Cheers,
    Mrk

9. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Hi Mrkvonic,

Hav u already tested foobar2000 ? (music player)

If not, try the latest beta 0.9.5 instead of the current stable version 0.9.4.5.

Rgds.

10. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Regarding CCleaner - I have not yet tried the new 2.0 version but I have been using the previous versions for a long time and never had any issues with my internet connection after a cleaning. I wonder am I just fortunate in that regard or were the persons having connection problems speaking of having them after using CCleaner's registry cleaner instead of it's regular cleaner?

11. Mrkvonic

Hello,

I have been using CCleaner for quite a long time as well without any issues - until the unfortunate event. I believe it would be ... irresponsible of me to recommend a program that might cause problems. I know that many thousands use it with great success ... Hey, I still use the older versions!

But since the accident, I need to look into this very very carefully ... That's all.

Again, the programs listed are a personal recommendation - meaning I have spent many weeks and months using and testing them. Some might be popular, but they have all undergone the Mrk test of annoyability.

Cheers,
    Mrk

12. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Mrkvonic,

Do you mind elaborating on what the "accident" involved and what you believe it was that CCleaner did that caused the problem? Also, what did you have to do to correct it. I only ask for my own education should I find myself in the same situation.

Also I have no experience with the new 2.0 versions of CCleaner but I have read that it hasn't been working as well as the older versions on many systems. If you get around to testing it I would definitley be interested in hearing your opinions on it.

Thanks

13. Mrkvonic

Hello,

I did a routine cleaning with a new version - not even the registry cleaning - just temp files and such ...

Then, I noticed my internet speed had dropped significantly (~50% dl) ... I could not get ping below 80ms even, to my ISP. I fixed the TCP/IP stack - it worked.

Then, I imaged back to about 2 weeks before the accident. Ping was ok (~ 15 ms), internet speed was ok (full download). Downloaded and installed the newest version of CCleaner, did a routine clean with it - the same problem. I actually repeated the image / install thingie 3 times before I was sure that CCleaner caused the problem. Why or how? Don't know. That's just what happened.

Imaged back. Using the one version before the culprit - .382 I think.

Cheers,
    Mrk

14. Franklin

Well Mrk, after over a hundred million downloads of CCleaner and three years of posting over at CCleaner's forum I have seen some probs, from I must say a minority of users, I don't think I have seen this prob with the tcp/ip stack.

I'm sure "Mr G", the developer, would be interested to hear of your experience.

CCleaner Bug Reporting

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  15. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Mrk,
    Do you know what version number was in use when you had your problem.
    Current is v2.02.527 updated early November.

16. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    The last good one before the problem was 1.33.382.
    The problematic one was 1.34.407.
    Mrk

17. Franklin

Hi Mrk again, after your unfounded negative review of CCleaner and your seemingly deliberate omission of the two best apps ever, in being Sandboxie and Returnil, your site is useless to my line of thinking!:)

18. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    I'm not sure if the last comment was meant to be a joke or not, therefore I'll say nothing ... Have fun, all.
    Mrk

19. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3 posts removed.

Let's be civil and cut the insensitive comments.

snowbound

20. HAN

HAN Registered Member

My feeling on CCleaner is that if used wisely, it can be a very reliable tool. BUT, that said, I don't run it with all options ticked and would NEVER recommend anyone else do so either. Like any sharp knife (or powerful tool), it can do great things, or also cause problems if used with no setup plan.

One recent issue I saw from someone who ran it with everything ticked was the cleaning of the Java cache. The user was unaware that a program on his PC required the cache from previous sessions to function properly.

One last thought... CCleaner is like most programs. In general, users should run the latest versions. If they don't, they should not be surprised if they have problems related to the older version. In CCleaner, the updates are there to reflect changes in bug fixes and cleanup of newer versions of other programs. Using old versions of CCleaner is NOT a good idea!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.