A surprise that really impresed me

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by gery, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gery

gery Registered Member

I never had a good opinion on KIS as i tried it couple of times i ditched it and gave away the keys i had thinking i will never try it again. Well that is something that belongs to the past. Yesterday someone gave me a key and i thought i will just pass it to someone else which the person refused to receive. Thus i tried to install it on my laptop waiting to just slow it down and mass it but on the contrary it did not.
    First i was surprised to know that it did not require a reboot upon installation. very nice work on this side.:thumb:
    Second it did scan pretty fast after the update which only took several minutes.
    The most important thing for me is the browsing speed since i am on dsl 256 kbps and an avarage speed of 64kbps very slow in deed.Well i always thought my previous suites were the s lowliest but i find it surprisingly fast.
    I like it a lot and thus it will change my setup for the moment.
    Kaspersky is going on the right path i guess just my two cents:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: .thumbs up and hat off to the giant

2. sourav_gho

sourav_gho Registered Member

I also emphasized this on the av-comparatives performance thread, it is very fast and use very less resources. Lot of ppl were complaining that it slowed down their pcs. Initially v2010 had several bugs, but now with latest hotfixes most of them have been ironed out. Try the newest build 736 with a.b hotfix. Its the best out there..:thumb:

3. gery

gery Registered Member

i am using 736 and very nice work in deed.
    i like it so far

4. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

glad to know kapersky worked on it..
    do they still have th adblocker function?...only for ie..or the other browsers..

5. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

Kaspersky Internet Security has Anti Banner (which is the ad-blocker) it filters traffic regardless of browser, but there should be plugin integration for firefox soon to be able to add new entries directly from the browser, IE already supports this. It isn't as customisable as a standalone adblocker such as AdMuncher, but it does the job.

6. Indyan

Indyan Registered Member

Totally agree with what has already been said. Given the number of features, its amazing how light KIS actually is.

7. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Since the subject is Kaspersky ...

Several months ago a ran a trial of KIS 2010.

Each day I was being 'attacked' by the 'Helkern worm' ...

I'm not sure what part of KIS detected it. I can't say these continuous 'attacks' made me feel safer. I'm behind a router.

Someone told me that Kaspersky established itself as a local proxy. I barely know what that means. :blink: I've never seen an attack by any worm except when I ran KIS. If someone can explain this, I'd appreciate it.
    It would seem that KIS introduces a vulnerability, but then again, I don't understand it.

8. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

if you haven't rebooted after updating the hotfixes(a b) won't be applied

9. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

might be you have been attacked before but not warned about it!

10. Baz_kasp

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=36390&st=0&p=324334&#entry324334

That should explain it.

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Im using KIS 2010 never found any problem :D
    Except it used to lag Vids stream (Youtube etc.)
    But since last version that stopped

12. Fly

Fly Registered Member

No it doesn't. Or am I just plainly stupid ?

I'm behind a router. How could the worm get past it ?
    And for as far as the software firewall is concerned, why would it get past the the KIS firewall, and if it didn't, why is it being reported as an attack ?

I've used many firewalls and have never seen anything like this except with KIS.

13. Baz_kasp

Ok.... so first of all as the link states, it is the helkern worm probing your pc. No particular reason, just because it probes random IP ranges and your pc happens to be on one it is scanning.

Secondly, KIS is only reporting the attack, not that it got past the firewall or anything. Just click the little down arrow on the prompt and disable that notification so it doesn't bother you.

Thirdly, if you are using a router that means SPI is probably not properly set up- if the IP address of the blocking computer is an external one (on the alert).

14. Fly

Fly Registered Member

A few points:

I don't think the router I was using at the time had SPI, it was just a simple NAT router. How would a worm get past that ? There were no open ports. (I checked with www.grc.com )

Anyway, I don't know how Kaspersky would detect that 'attack', or how reporting those 'attacks' would be helpful.

15. Baz_kasp

Having ports "open" or "closed" makes no difference.....helkern will probe them anyway. All Kaspersky is doing is reporting that it blocked this attack...thats it! :)

16. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Attack is detected and blocked because it is a firewall and suppose to block attacks.

Some users like to see what's going on, and notifications can be useful when troubleshooting. If you get a network attack from another system in your LAN, you know there is an issue on the system.

I personally hide network attack notifications.

17. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Must say after trying this out yesterday i am very impressed too especially with the "olimpique" skin its even nicer :) and more functional.Well done mr K
    ellison
    ellison

18. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I see.

It surprises me that it got past my router, which I believe only had a NAT firewall (not a <real> hardware firewall).

I just think this is over the top. Connections and computers are being probed all the time. Probably by a few KIS didn't detect. I think such 'attacks' should just be dropped like the Windows firewall does. Aside from enabling the component, which may or may not have default, I just let it run. Would the way KIS interacts with these 'attacks' pose a potential risk because what is outside the computer generates the response of some code inside the computer ? This is more than just logging.
    It must certainly confuse many computer novices.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  19. Phenom

Phenom Registered Member

Now I'm thinking of using Kaspersky with Prevx after reading this, but something is telling me that my computer is going to freeze and will experience a slow internet so I don't know if I should try.

20. gery

gery Registered Member

i don't think you need prevx at all. KIS is more than enough. Just add an on-demand scanner if you think something is not ok. I gave up using a second AV AS a long time ago because i find too time and space consuming . Anyway you can do as you like. Just a humble thought here. I am no expert.

21. icr

icr Registered Member

+1 with this comment I too believe that one resident scanner is more than enough for giving all the protection you need from the threats just keep it patched up and updated regularly.

22. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

No it is not confusing.
    Its firewall blocks attacks when it detects them, as with all firewalls. You're saying like if an antivirus detects a threat, is it a risk? Of course, the answer is no, its not a risk blocking it.

Simple as, nothing else to it.

23. Baz_kasp

I really do not see what is so hard to understand.

KIS is detecting an attack, blocking it and reporting that it has blocked it with the popup. If the popup is bothering you, click the little down arrow and disable the notification. KIS isn't "interacting" with the attacks, but blocking them....which is one of the functions of a firewall...to block inbound attacks. That is it- nothing else is happening!

24. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I've used a number of firewalls over the years. Of those only KIS' firewall gave such alarming messages. Regarding inbound traffic, the others didn't do more than logging 'attacks' and other issues.

I can see how it could be unnerving to see such alarming messages. Giving people the idea that they are under attack, but that KIS has protected them THIS TIME.

Anyway, I'm not trying to bash Kasperky.

25. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Guess its user prefrence if they want the information about the attack or not.
    I also normally always disable the notification, and agree, the alert should be disabled by default, as the user cant really do much and other than let Kaspersky block it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.