A-SQUARED question

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by gery, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gery

gery Registered Member

is A-SQUARED ANTIMALWARE enough for malware protection or do i need something else for viruses?
    I have Norton AV and AVG licenses . Can i use them along Asquaredo_O? o_O

2. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

Hi,
    In my opinion,you have many antivirus software.Norton is enough.I remembered Norton also had antimalware function.In the eyes of me,AVG is better than A-SQUARED.If I were you,I will choose AVG:) .
    That's just my thinking.

3. thathagat

thathagat Guest

4. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

If it's the paid version I think it's enough. I used it on it's own on one machine and would be continuing to do if it was not for the advent of OA++ that now uses the 2 engines used in A-Squared in a very efficient way IMO.

Both the Ikarus and A2 engines that make up the product have very good detection rates if a bit prone to FP's. Also the IDS (Mamutu) gives an added extra behavioral protection element.

Where it differs from the others you mention is that it only scans on execution so if you need/want something that scans on read/access etc then you would need something else. While it uses too much memory IMO this on execution only scanning makes it feel very light to my mind.

I'm afraid I never tried with Norton/AVG so can't comment on any potential conflicts.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2009
  5. gery

gery Registered Member

i am running it alongside with AVG and i see no problems so far.
    I only have enabled IDS and the rest of features is off

6. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

I'm using NIS09 plus i've been giving the A-Squared Free a run for the past week or two as an on demand scanner only.

They co-operate fine, and i'm starting to like A-Squared it has a nice interface and seems to do a great job. But as Chris said, it has quite a few false positives but for me that was great i wanted something with a "hair trigger" and report anything remotely problematic so i can look in to it.

During a full system scan, the 2 A-Squared processes use around 125,000k RAM and 30% CPU so it's a bit heavier than Malwarebytes on my machine.

The false positives may be an inconvenience to new users resulting in nuking legitimate apps.. But other than that i like it, they have a free trial for the paid one so give it a try. :)

7. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

On an average speaking, A-squared paid version IS enough to protect you thru its AV and AS (IDS) lineups, but on a personal notes, ,,,,, NO.

Reasons being: At not too far distance ago, AV and AS are different breeds, never had crossed the LINE to invade into each other's field; now you witness more and more CROSSOVERS--- AVs to incorporate AS (as many well-knowns have done so far) whereas, some well-resourced AS have acquired outside helpline to add AV.

No matter what have evolved in the past and well into the future, these crossovers will still know their CORE Strength better, in spite of any costly dress-up.

A=squared 's core business is AS originally, and will stay that way in foreseeable future, although their IDS-mamutu, is indeed a big surprise .

I am using A-squares paid with McAfee VirusScan Enterprise (which has AS module too), very smooth sailing so far. A thumb UP for A-squared.

8. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Perman,

I have good news for you, when cross over is you main concern, than A2 is your best pick

1. IDS
    2. A2 Malware (with former Ewido now Avg one of the best anti trojans)
    3. Ikarus anti virus engine
    4. Web protection (although a bit to pop-up happy at my taste)

So it has got two engines, one for the AV and one for the AS/AM/AT

They just bought AV knowledge in, using Ikarus a decent Austrian AV

9. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

That's news to me I thought that Emsi always used their own engine before bringing Ikarus on board.o_O

10. thathagat

thathagat Guest

so it is a potent security prog by itself......no need for any other av....?

11. Retadpuss

Retadpuss Suspended Member

If you use the full version of A2 which has realtime protection, you dont need another AM/AV, but it will run just fine alongside most.

The only issue is that A2 does not have on access realtime scanning (on execution only), so whilst this makes no difference to your system security, it does mean you wont know if a downloaded file is malware until you either run it ir perform an on demand scan. (same as Prevx in this respect)

A2 has top notch detection (A2 and Avira being the best) and has the mamutu behaavoural analysis as well, so is an excellent app for prevention.

Highly recomended.

Puss

12. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Your are right, A2 has two engines one for malware (A2's own) and Ikarus AV engine.

13. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Quote.

14. gery

gery Registered Member

is this a sort of negative part of it?

15. Retadpuss

Retadpuss Suspended Member

I assume you mean the lack of on access realtime detection? Well, not really. The only way a system can be damaged is by malware RUNNING and A2 with its realtime protection will prevent this. So with A2, you are well protected in realtime from infection - only Avira comes close.

The issue is that say for instance you receive an email, or a USB drive, DVD etc is inserted in your PC, you could copy or download malware / infected files with no alert from A2. Whilst in doing this, your system is NOT at risk, you could unwittingly still send / forward that malware to a someone else- so in essence, you could spread malware (but please understand, at no time are you at risk from malware as it only represents a threat when run - and A2s realtime protection will catch this)

Puss

16. Fly

Fly Registered Member

You are probably referring to A-Squared, paid version with Ikarus engine ?

I don't know much about AVG.

Norton and A-Squared are both real-time scanners.

Generally, it is not recommended to run multiple real-time scanners. It can cause problems, slowdowns and such.

Maybe you can get it to work on YOUR system.

Running A-Squared as an on-demand scanner should not be a problem.

Please keep in mind that A-Squared can cause a lot of false positives.

My suggestion is to NOT run A-Squared real-time with Norton. Of course, you can try.

17. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

A-Squared AntiMalware should be enough IMO.

I wouldn't recommend running more than one antivirus program real-time.
    Norton isn't a bad choice either, but I wouldn't run it with A-Squared AntiMalware because of potential conflicts. Besides that, why have the duplicate processes in both programs sucking up system resources?

18. Dr who

Dr who Registered Member

Finally are we to understand that you finally grasp the difference between inactive malware sat in a folder and malware loading into memory:thumb:

You also grasp that different softwares operate at different levels on how they intercept files to potentially detect and subsequently block them:thumb:

This is indeed welcome progress:D

The only 2 things to complete your training as a tester now grasshopper is too understand that some softwares utilize in memory heuristic's, which means the interception(Detection) occurs as the file is loaded into memory.

In short they wont detect it if it is inactive sat in a holding folder but the moment you execute it into memory they pounce on it.

Of course you will not see this because you custom scan a folder when you test but now pleased that you now might actually see this as a flaw to your test model(and the SSUPDATER model).

On a personal note did you never find it weird that your tests always rated SAS and MBAM as extremely poor performers,consistently bad yet they are widely recommended all around the web by those in the know and return very high clean up rates(=high detection rates).

Both of these utilize in memory heuristic's more than any of they other tested softwares.

Oh yes of course it was all a big conspiracy theory and shills and experts with vested interests were the ones that perpetuated the myth.

Sorry Puss too many experts,too many sites give them the thumbs up for it to be a conspiracy,if it was bogus then believe you me it would have been outed a long time ago and all would know.Software that is poor dose not get over 200k+ downloads a week...

Sorry to disappoint you and the boys at SSUPDATER, no conspiracy to be found just you have been using an easy but faulted test model.

Hopefully you become a better tester now and learn some more about malware.It really is a great hobby and if you get good at it who know's you might make a living out of it:thumb:

All the best!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.