a squared IDS vs Spyware Terminator IDS and HIPS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by duke1959, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I just had to ask. I am finally deciding between Ashampoo Antispyware which is an a squared anti-malware clone, and Spyware Terminator. I don't want to spend money for SpySweeper or Spyware Doctor, and believe Ashampoo and ST are fairly close to offering the RealTime protection those two do. Now I just wonder which of the two I am deciding about would be the best for detecting new malware? Spyware Terminator with all it's Guards and HIPS protection, or Ashampoo AS which like a squared has IDS behavioral detection. I really do have want to make a decision. I know I could just re-install the AVG AS Component back in my AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite, but can't seem to find out if AVG AS uses Heuristics for RealTime protection, like it does for On Demand scans. I appreciate everyone replying in my threads, and thank you all for your help.

2. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

I don't think ashampoo is free, so if you were to drop any kind of dough, might as well stop at BoClean.

3. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I'm sorry but this is not the answer Duke is asking for ..

If you haven't tried one of both AA or ST, why even answering ..

Boclean, how brilliant it is (2 year now been a user ...), is payware .. the original poster didn't want to pay for security (anymore?), I believe.

I believe Ewido / AVG AS do also works with heuristics 'On Access' if it has the necessary sigs to detect it .. heuristical detection (naaaice word) is based on sigs too .. I believe I had some heuristic detection regarding a Win32 Dialer beginning last year .. so I think it the answer is .. yes .

regarding the question about the choosing between AA and ST and where you put that AA is just a ASquared Clone .. then I would say : 'Go with the original'
    and if I could choose between anything at the moment I'd say: Boclean for the MemoryScanner and A2 for the IDS .. I think till up today this is a fine combination cause the memoryscanner of A2 could need some work (Boclean's memscanner hasn't let me down yet, while A2 detected it through IDS and not through memscanning)

Best Wishes,

4. Drew99GT

Wow, someone is E-power hungry. Get off your high horse. :thumbd:

If someone is willing to spend money on A-shampoo, my point was, why not spend that money on the best. A-shampoo is payware too.

If you're gonna be an a-hole, why even awnser?

In order to get the IDS in A2, you have to pay for it. Might as well just drop the money for Defensewall in that case.

For completely free protection, ST is probably the best you can do because it's the only truly free real time protection you can get.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  5. duke1959

Sorry to cause a disagreement guys, let me clear this up. I have Ashampoo Antispyware installed now. It's not only free for six months, but has many good features, and I really like it a lot. I was however, still going to uninstall it and use Spyware Terminator again, (which I like equally) if anyone could tell me if it had better or was at least equal to the RealTime protection that a squared anti-malware offers. Which I have learned, is suppose to be the same RealTime IDS Behavior Detection Ashampoo AS uses.

6. Infinity

I suggest you try to reread my answer ..

he was asking something sincerely .. and Boclean wasn't mentioned anywhere ..

that's why I thought your personal favourites were not needed here ..

regarding the horse I'm on to .. or E-power .. none of both .. I was being sincere too .. and no need for calling names .. no need at all Drew

ok, maybe I'll give it a shot but still, this is your personal idea, not mine .. please keep this debate clean.

best wishes,

mwua

7. Infinity

solved :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i could have ashampoo antispyware for free as well comes on a cover disc.
    i dont need it since ive got spysweeper 5.3 and superantispyware pro.
    if someone wants the code pm me for it.
    lodore

9. Drew99GT

I thought you kind of jumped on me a bit hard when I was trying to answer Duke's question sincerely and the best I knew how. Maybe I was a bit harsh. My bad. :)

By the way Duke, how did you get ashampoo free for 6 months? I'd think it would have a better real time shield compared to spyware terminator.

10. Infinity

No probs Drew .. ;)

why going for Ashampoo's if you could have the original? And why not using both in realtime?

Regarding A2's IDS : personaly I think this is one of the best/most effective IDS around .. used together with an effective memoryscanner .. then you'd have a serious realtime pitbull :)

11. duke1959

Drew99GT, the 6 months free offer was in a thread on Ashampoo Antispyware not too long ago here in this forum. Just type in Ashampoo Antispyware in the search this forum thingy, and you'll see at least two threads. In one of those someone posted a URL to get a key for a six month trial of Ashampoo AS. Mine is until 8/1/07. I don't want to pay for anything as I don't keep Antispyware programs very long. (although I need to soon keep one) The AVG ISS I have was given to me free, and I was just trying out a few different AS programs to use with it instead of the featureless AS Component it had. So far you can see where this led me by the threads I started. LOL. Take care and I'm glad you guys can argue and then make up. LOL. This is another thing I love about Wilders.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  12. duke1959

Just saw why Ashampoo and a squared anti-malware is definitely different. See my post, if you care too, in the Ashampoo Clone thread.

13. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

I have tried it and like it, light on resources

14. duke1959

Anyone compare these two lately? I know a squared is better for On Demand than ST, but what about for RealTime detection?

15. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I don't know of anyone who actually has done a head-to-head comparison of real-time monitors in general, or IDS in particular. I wish someone would do so -- preferably IBK, of course.

I have run both A-squared & Spyware Terminator's real-time monitors. While I don't know their respective effectiveness, I can give you resource usage data, in case you're interested in that.

Data in MegaBytes (MB) based on Process Explorer for Private bytes / Working (RAM) / Virtual...

SpyTermShield 22.6 / 23.0 / 89.5 on 03/27/2007

A-squared Guard 60.6 / 55.5 / 114.2 on 03/27/2007

16. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Unless Ashampoo has updated to the IDS shield over the past two months it is different than that offered by a-squared. From the A-squared site from an admin-

"Ashampoo Antispyware uses the a-squared scan engine, but not the a-squared background guard technology with the Malware-IDS. The used engine is the latest with the same features and updates. The main power of a-squared is its guard with the bahavior analysis module. That explains the higher price of a-squared Anti-Malware."

Link is here-

http://forum.emsisoft.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1814

17. duke1959

I gve up on Ashampoo awhile ago, and have recently been given an a squared Anti-Malware license. I love it so far, and think it's a super program. I even like it more than Spyware Terminator and believe the RealTime protection a squared offers has to be superior.

18. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Just curious as to what you base that on?

19. duke1959

Tarq57, honestly I am only basing it on what I read about it's RealTime Detection on the a squared website. I have no true way of knowing how effective any of the HIPS type software really are, even if they are tested. For example I also like Prevx1, and even though there have been tests done by Gizmo's on that particular program there is still some doubt on how valid it is. This is why I can only really rely on what I read on the websites of these programs, and both Prevx1 and a squared Anti-Malware at the very least does a good job of selling me on how good their RT protection is. On the other hand the Spyware Terminator website doesn't, but then again neither does AVG AS, or SuperAntiSpyware. I know this is no way to pick a program, but you have to admit the a squared website is very convincing that it does do what it says it does in RealTime.

20. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I do have to admit that. You're right.
    Interesting to me, because I've never really noticed the advertised differences between the three via their homepages before now.
    (I make it a habit not to notice or place too much stock in advertisements. Or maybe I'm just a bit dumb. ;))
    I have no idea which would be the most effective, beyond reading in this and other forums, which would tend to indicate that SAS is probably ahead a bit, then Asquared-though it has the odd FP, then ST, perhaps because it's newish and doesn't have a big database.
    (I'm using ST 'coz I like it and it's free, and keep the other two as demand scanners.)

21. duke1959

hey Tarq57, I know not to believe everything I read, and want to add that I like Spyware Terminator a lot as well. Version 2 should be very nice when it's released and it will be very tempting to install it. However I am honestly at the point where I need to stick with something and I have decided on sticking with (I hope, LOL) a squared Anti-Malware and AVG AV and FW. I base this though on being behind a Wireless Router Firewall and using Firefox with NoScript and Mcafee SiteAdvisor. Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.