a squared free

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by lodore, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello, im sure i updated a squared about two days ago.
    but today i do a update and the update is 9.7mb and has the following

Downloading Signature update...
    454073 Signatures: 325859 Trojans, 41158 Dialers, 70009 Worms and 17046 Spywares

Downloading Traces signature update...
    92908 Spyware Traces

1199 Signatures: 967 Trojans, 38 Dialers, 57 Worms and 137 Spywares

651 Signatures: 617 Trojans, 3 Dialers, 28 Worms and 3 Spywares

80 Spyware Traces

1624 Signatures: 1292 Trojans, 102 Dialers, 1 Worms and 229 Spywares

29 Spyware Traces

EMSI have been busy!
    lodore

2. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi

Indeed ! Every time I update there seems to be a whole heap of sigs. Wasn't a huge fan of A2 until fairly recently because of the scan time but not now.

Excellent free product as is A2 Hijack Free :thumb:

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yoiur right it even if i update daily it still has updates to download lol.
    its a great simple on demand scanner.
    no pointless tray icon like avg antispyware free version that loads at startup intill you stop it.
    it loads up when you want to update and scan then it closes again when you have finished.
    i wish more free scanners where just on demand scanners that just opened when you wanted them to.
    theres even a tickbox for right click scanning if you want it ive got it disabled since ive got other scanners for right click scanning but its still good.
    lodore

4. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

What about the mini version of AVG free; does that load at startup as well? Does the mini version have a quarantine as well?

If you have CCleaner, you can take AVG out of the startup list.

5. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Yep - right click scanning is a real bonus. Quicker to load that function than others I've come across.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im trying to think of turning on the explorer intogration since it loads alot faster than spysweeper lol.
    lodore

7. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

I had the same thing happen. Basically it is starting over from the beginning and downloading everything all over again as well as the new updates. For whatever reason, it started doing it on my machine beginning on October 6, 2005. Then, when I would update, it would say something like "Downloading signatures 10/6/2005" then go off with that long list that Lodore describes. I updated it to the new version, hoping that would solve the problem - it didn't. I simply quit using it a while back, as I am on a dial-up connection and became weary waiting for it to download everything all over again. Plus, the only thing it ever did for me was give me false positives. Since I already have SuperAntispyware free and AVG antispyware free (along with NOD32), I don't see A-Squared as a necessity. Also, since I don't use XP (use Linux instead) to surf the net, malware scans are somewhat of a moot point anymore.

8. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

They are tidying up their database so that it is a huge download to replace the old database.

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Correct. Not a big deal. Still a great app.

10. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

It seems they do this (the BIG update) about every two weeks, the interim updates are fairly small and don't take long. Excellent bit of kit.
    Once AVG trial is over (or before if you like) the program can be configured NOT to run at start up in it's own settings, no need for Ccleaner to remove it.
    I think AVG is excellent too. No harm at all in having a second (or third) opinion/set of definitions/clean engine.

11. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

So how does that explain why it wants to start every time downloading everything from Oct 6, 2005 forward? Seems there is more of a problem than just database maintenance, at least in my case.

12. Graphic Equaliser

Graphic Equaliser Registered Member

Perhaps their system for recording the last date and time you updated the signatures, is not actually changing that date any longer. Perhaps it has become read-only, or it is now in a different location. Whatever it is, a2 ought to fix it soon, especially for those on dial-up connections.

13. Maxwel

Maxwel Registered Member

Today I installed A-squared Free for the first time. I can't get a download to complete. Four have now stalled. Is this a Sunday problem?

14. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Just tried updating. No update available is what I get. No sweat its Sunday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.