A-squared Anti-Malware for Free!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Someone, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

Is there a Free version of this product also? Or can I downloaded some sort of trial version which, after the trial period runs out, continues to function with limited settings?

Is there a Free version of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware too?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  2. Get

Get Guest

3. Stijnson

4. Get

Get Guest

I guess it's pretty sure you'll have a trial period, but i'm not sure, because i always use this kind of software on-demand right from the start.

5. Stijnson

OK, thanks Get.

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Give it another trial, Page. I think you will find it greatly improved.

7. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Stijnsen,

Register the A2 version, it is a nice addition to your setup, only unselect the on demand black list scanner (use the fast IDS module = Mamutu) and use A2 scans on demand. After all then you have the option to use it for a year for free (you do not have to). When you uninstall A2 lisences are kept at the producer, so you do not loose this one year freebie

Regards Kees

8. Stijnson

Hi Kees. We're talking about the paid version (offered for Free atm for a 1-year period) now, right?

Can I still use it as a Free version (for on-demand scanning) once the 1-year licence runs out?

9. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

MBAM is not full trial version. Only one version, with on demand scanner only. If you pay you get real time scanner.

This is very good deal for A2. I have been using it for the last year (free through CastleCops contest), with very little false positives. And has saved me a few times. Compliments other software very nice. No problems using it with AntiVir.

10. Stijnson

Thanks kr4ey. I was intending to use it as an on-demand scanner so downloading and installing would be enough -:).

11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yes and Yes, Kr4ey mentiones Antivr free, when your NOD lisence runs out, you would also have good protection with Antivir free + A2 paid (although Nod is a nice light AV).

Bottom line: for 30 to 40 euro annual you have a good paid security solution, when you are interested in security, you can set up same protection level for free, only downside is the time you have to invest in it.

12. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

13. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

I tried to scan a suspicious archive today with a² anti-malware free. It came up clean, but then I noticed this in my SpIDer guard log:
    Apparently a² exctracts the contents of an archive in a temp folder in order to scan the file/files in it, but dr.web blocks it and so a² can't scan it and comes up clean!

Can this be considered as incopatibility?

14. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Is there a learner mode?(no clue how to use this thing) and box pops up so quickly and goes again when i go to install a program or something , things pop up so quick sometimes im not sure what they are?.. Also do i do Beta update?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I would probably stay away from beta updates, they might cause problems, just an opinion though. As far as things popping up and not knowing what they are, I agree, the window does kind of come up at you fast, but it's not TOO big an issue for me. Now not knowing what some pop-ups mean, that's a problem for me, and why I just haven't crossed over full time to HIPS, SRP, and all that. I just do not have the knowledge to know what's going on. A2 has a function that automatically makes rules based on what a community has answered in their pop-ups, and I can't say I'm all that comfortable with that. However, since HIPS are just too complicated in their messages for me, I guess I have to use what I can understand.

16. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

Runs well with Dr. Web also. I got a free copy from that "Give Away of the Day" deal a few months back. Been running well with Dr. Web for 5 months now.

17. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

I just read apparently untick the to boxes 90% etc in community alerts but leave top box ticked it will reduce alerts.

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I think I know what you're talking about, didn't it say though that doing that also lessened the accuracy of alerts?

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, I just found out an interesting tidbit, at least on my system this thing HATES SuperAntiSpyware. It will NOT let me open the program without disabling the background guard. It just stalls and stalls while the background guard icon flashes some silly unexplained lightning flash symbol. I swear to God I'm just a fraction of a step away of relying on nothing but virtualization apps and an antivirus, lol. I can't tell you how infuriating it's getting having some damn scanner running in the background telling me every damn program on my computer is doing something suspicious. I can assure you if this crap keeps up, I WILL find some way to buy an extra drive and get a good imaging app, and then do whatever in the hell I please until something gets screwed up and then I just plop the last clean image on and go back to using this damn system instead of babysitting it and Googling answers.

20. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Hi, Im running a2 with SAS pro with realtime scanning with no problems at all. Could the conflict be as a result of some other app? The only change to a2 I have made is to unchek the two sub boxes in the community alert section.

Attached Files:

21. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

The only problem i get with the 4.0 Beta is that everytime i press my back-forward buttons on my mouse i get cpu spikes at 20-25 %. This is a major problem for me when i play games, the fps drops and the game nearly freezes for a second.

22. BG

BG Registered Member

Sorry I took so long to answer. Yes, it's running in 32bit mode though.

a2guard.exe *32

23. joffy

joffy Registered Member

I'm using 3.5 from the free offer and my background guard settings are different to those in the pic in post #45.
    I don't have the ALERTS & MALWARE-IDS tabs.

How come? o_O

24. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

How odd - are you sure you have selected the background guard tab on the left first?

25. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I like to see this offer for Geswall or Defensewall.although A great offer I feel I do not need any realtime Scanners but i did try A-Squared Free, the scanner takes for ever and ever especialy the Deep Scan.:eek: but thanks all the same.

Dave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.