A-squared Anti-Malware for Free!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Someone, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

Gizmo at Tech Support Alert made a deal with EMSI Software to get their $40 A-squared Anti-Malware for free for one year! I think it's only for a limited time. The instructions on how to get it are here.

Thanks

2. Pseudo

Pseudo Registered Member

Thank you. I may or may not use it too often, but I did create an account. :p

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Thx, nice tip

For people not good with firewalls, the Mamutu/A2 Squared has some nice features to catch downloaders etc. So when you only use inbound firewall this is a nice tip.

Version 4 will problably has Ikarus AV black list data base also, so when your interested go for it before the 31 of july

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

this is actually a very good deal. But I dont need it with my setup.;)

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I certainly took advantage, hehe. It caught a couple of things SAS and MBAM both missed.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

So did i.

Not bad at all. In fact when it was A2Squared i made quite use of it on Windows 98 and kind of lost interest when HIPS jumped out on the scene. Now i see they have one of their own. Pretty impressive and one thing i can safely say about emsisoft, they have to hold the record for any AntiSpyware update eventually surpassing back then Lavasoft and then going full steam ahead.

I like what they done. I was a bit timid it might be more heavy then i would like, but so far the system seems normal with it in place.

I always been a silent A2squared supporter mainly because of their consistent longetivity and persistent updates which never seem to quit, something on the order of an AV program only more maybe.

Trouble now is i installed it on one of my units that have HIPS/Behavioral Blocker already on it, so i'll likely be pulling one or both of them. As a scanner it's been a long time mainstay, and i like companies that are in it for the long haul.

The HIPS part is especially appealing for me.

7. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

Can you use it as a on-demand scanner and not run it when windows boots up?

8. Kees1958

9. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

I would like to see this offer for mamutu!

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I've grown accustomed to Threatfire's ways, but, I do wonder how necessary it is to keep it onboard with this A-Squared. A2 seems like it covers bases a bit more (I'm saying that purely from looking at the settings for the IDS), but has anyone tested it against TF to see which works out better? For that matter, does TF do things differently enough that it's still advisable to run it alongside A2?

Sorry if I went off-topic there, I was just wondering. If results are favorable I could use a little extra freed memory ;)

11. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

Update: "This free offer expires on July 31, 2008".

12. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

13. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Yaa, but A-Squared Anti-Malware needs 70 MB of RAM in my pc ( never mind, I've 3 GB :) ), and I wish to have for free only Mamutu. Once in a month I usually scan on demand my pc with A-Squared free.

14. BG

BG Registered Member

Thanks So ... running great on 64-bit Vista Ulti. Also running the beta. A lot of fp's, but I'm sending them in.

15. Kees1958

Off topic,

When I bought PRSC over 5 months ago, A2 only ran the on demand scanner on vist 64, you are sure that 3.5 also runs on Vista64?

Thx

16. curious george

curious george Registered Member

The thing is, A-squared runs pretty heavy when scanning a FULL system scan. It takes for ever, and for some odd reason it always seems to slow down my pc. I know it doesn't use up too much ram and all, but i'd like to see it a bit lighter anyway.

17. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

When I think a-squared Anti-Malware 3.5, I think false positives.

My experience with that program was like one continuous cycle of submissions to fp@emsisoft.com and file uploads to VirusTotal and Jotti.

Yes, all programs have them, but a-squared took false positives to a new level.

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Day 2 of use and it's running just fine here, and I only have 1 gig of ram. I noticed a couple of FP's, one was a TCP.sys patch that was labeled an email worm ( It was the patch from LvlLord, which every AV I've ever used flagged as bad, and did for everyone else too). It also labeled the old MS RegClean as medium risk, but I hardly used the thing so I let A2 get rid of it (I use CCleaner mainly). I had one issue, and that was with this morning's FF3 update. It flagged the update as backdoor activity and the screen comes and goes very fast to allow/deny. I allowed it and it made a rule to monitor FF3 while allowing possible backdoor activity and spyware activity. I'm sure I am misunderstanding, but I un-checked those two options to allow that kind of activity because I don't figure that's a very good rule. Now it's set to just monitor FF3.

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Are there known issues with AVs?

Thanks,
    Jerry

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

None here with Avast on board.

21. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I've used A2 in the past and haven't been a fan of it. Also it never seems to find anything when I check Jotti's but maybe I'm always looking at the wrong times.:cautious:

22. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

ANyone install the beta updates :rolleyes:

23. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

No.I left all of the options at default except scheduled scans.

24. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

No issues with AntiVir PE here.

25. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

From emsisoft forums. The guard component is basically Mamutu.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.