A simple reliable backup app.

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by twl845, Mar 20, 2015.

1. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

As Keatah mentioned, a good way to get around what you are afraid of, is to install AOMEI on an offline computer (ideally an spare computer without any sensitive data on it), make a boot ISO/USB, then uninstall AOMEI completely from that computer. This way, you have a boot USB that can be used anytime on any computer. And remember, you can unplug the Ethernet cable everytime you use that AOMEI boot USB to make backups/retores. Even if this AOMEI PE version "wants" to send any info out, it could not because you don't have Internet connection, LOL. And after you are done with imaging/restoring, shutdown the computer and unplug your AOMEI USB. A bit inconvenient, but you can feel relaxed and sleep well at night.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Frankly, from what I've see with AOMEI, you can just relax and sleep at night without anything extra

3. ad67

ad67 Registered Member

If AOMEI (or any backup software) is in fact engaged in nefarious activities, it seems to me that when a backup image is created, the program could insert code into the backup and then if the backup image is restored to the "online computer", you would now have a compromised online system.

4. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

In theory, yes, it's possible. In reality, I don't think that's teh case with any disk imaging software. If any imaging software does that, then that's a virus, not a disk imaging software. I don't believe any reputable disk imaging software would do that.

5. Slacker Sonny

Slacker Sonny Registered Member

I think that all of you replying to my post concerning disk image software from China are probably right. I also agree that my thinking is a bit (okay, maybe a lot) paranoid. I do thank you for not calling me absolutely crazy (at least not yet)! I also agree with ad67 that any smart cyber-attack, especially one from a State sponsored source, would "simply" slip a Trojan into the restore process in a hidden file or even as an add-on to an existing legitimate system file. I'm no expert, but I assume that getting free access to a computer's OS is the hard part, slipping in something malicious would then be simple. A programmer with access could set it up to be triggered at a much later date - possibly when triggered as part of a larger wide spread attack. Yes, I gotta cut back on spy novels! Yes it seems far-fetched, even to me. Yes allegations of China State supported cyber-attacks are just that - allegations. But, as much as I like AOMEI, I still plan to wipe my drive and start over using Macrium as my disk image solution. I feel silly for doing so, but I know I will sleep a little better. Thank you all for your responses and patience. I am (ALMOST) sure that you are right and you will have no problems with AOMEI or EaseUS !

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

when you look at the threat landscape using an image and image restore for malware doesn't make much sense when all you have to do is send an enticing email with a dumb attachment and you harvest victims quite easily that way.

I use AOEMEI and it works well. I don't use EaseUS as I've never gotten to restore. There is one other US made imaging program I don't use cause I don't like it. Point is it's not where it's made it's how well it works that is important.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.