A refreshing perspective on Ubuntu 12.10

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by linuxforall, Nov 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

http://linuxblog.darkduck.com/2012/11/ubuntu-1210-your-next-os.html

Is this a totally new world for Linux? Yes. Is it going to take the world by storm? No. Here's why.

With Ubuntu 12.10, Linux has grown up and learned to do its own marketing. It's snappy, it's tasteful, and it's aggressively attacking ground in which competitors' customers lie. That's good. But it won't succeed, not yet.

Why?

Because in order for people to believe anything free can be good – anything at all – it has to be really good. As in, a better package than something you'd pay for. And Ubuntu 12.10 is good – but it's not that. Not yet.

2. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

From reading the review the writer seems to make it sound as if Ubuntu has made a major leap in 12.10 with marketing, package managing etc.. All these things aren't new... Ubuntu has been constantly moving forward in many different aspects across the board.

I guess its all a matter of opinion :p I use linux as my main OS 95% of the time and gaming on windows.. But soon that's going to mostly change with Valve and other games making their way over to linux.

3. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Same here for but for serious deployment I only use LTS, the latest ones are for running on my personal laptop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.