A quick question

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by gunner, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunner

gunner Registered Member

If I may ask a quick question on the use of this product to get a final clarification. Trying to come up with an "as minimal downtime as possible" solution for a customer as to their disaster recovery planning for their server.

If I get into a situation where the hard drive gets zapped on this server (say they're running only a single disk in their "server" configuration..not the normal configuration you find in a "business" environment..but for the sake of this scenario) - and I have an FDISR image saved on a DVD disk.

If I have to install a new HDD, will I be able to use my dvd-saved image in the recovery process to get this server back online? I think what I'm picking up in my reading and from comments I've read, is #1) this type of recovery environment is not supported by FDISR due to an issue with the MBR on a new disk install - #2) these saved images are not "bootable" thus I cannot put this disk in and boot up the server and do a full restore to their prior saved environment - #3) FD will not support a "partitioned" disk image.

If someone could provide clarification on these points I would certainly appreciate. From what I've gleaned, it seems FDISR's true value lies in restoring corrupted OS images, beit desktop or server, where you apply a patch,a virus hits you or you install an application that trashes your system. This is of great value in and of itself, but trying to determine where this solution fits in in a server outage such as a HDD going kaput - thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2006
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Gunner

FDISR can help, sort of. I considered this scenario. I have an archive of a FDISR snapshot on an external drive. Can I use it if a hard disk crashes. Directly no, indirectly yes. Here is what I'd do, assuming no other back up or images.

1) Install Windows. In my case it might be as I got it when I bought my machine. No matter.
    2) Install the drivers for my external drives. (I have the CD's)
    3) Install First Defense. I have the program on my external drives.
    4) Create a secondary snaphot from my out of date system, and then boot to it.
    5) Refresh the out of date primary from the archive on the external drive, and then boot back to it. It should be current.
    6) Then I'd refresh the secondary

Pete

3. gunner

gunner Registered Member

Pete - appreciate the followup. From an overall "time to recovery" perspective in such a restoral process, your hit on time using FDISR would be the time involved in doing a fresh OS install, and the time to create a snapshot of your freshly installed OS image. I'm yet to trial FD so really not sure what to expect on the time to create a fresh OS snapshot.

This in comparison to the time in restoring an image from a tape backup, which is the current methodology in place. FD would probably be quicker, but both solutions will require their allotment of time to get a server back up and operational.

Will think on that and appreciate your input - thanks

4. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Leapfrog, thank you for answering this. I have oftened wondered, and I know that others have also wondered, if FD could be used like this. For someone like me, however, much of your instructions are "over my head" (a true geek will be laughing at this point) and the traditional drive imaging programs would be easier for me to use for just this one crisis ... so I am adding a post to the "Wish List" thread, thanks again for your continued presence at Wilders.

Acadia

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  6. WWS

WWS Registered Member

The six steps that Peter set forth is probably the way to go. I think, though, I'd have to add a seventh step with WinXP. Replacing the HDD is going to call for reactivation. I had to do it when I replaced my primary HDD with a larger capacity one.
    FD archiving wasn't available when I replaced my HDD...I used an ATI image I had stored on my secondary drive.
    Either way, with an image or an FD archive, Windows is going to see different hardware.
    And, if you do have to reactivate, do it before you make a new snapshot.

7. Peter2150

You are absolutely right, although I've read a hard drive alone shouldn't require a reactivation, but your experience would seem to prove otherwise. THis is an issue no matter what solution you use. Grrrr

8. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I understand that reactivation is a hassle. My question is about the requirement of reactivation. Is this requirement specific to Windows, or does it extend to other softwares, i.e. Norton AntiVirus? If it's specific to Windows, then reactivation can be as simple as a few clicks and thus is not really that inconvenient. I understand that reactivation can involve making a phone call to Microsoft in order to obtain an activation code, but even then it usually only takes around 5 to 10 minutes. A hassle yes, but relatively minor, unless you are using a less than legal copy of Windows (which should not be the case). At any rate, I am not sure that reactivation is enough of an issue to warrant concern, unless I'm missing something.

9. WWS

WWS Registered Member

It was July 2004 when I replaced my primary HDD.
    From unhooking the PC, replacing the HDD, re-imaging and including reactivation on the telephone...all of that took about 35 minutes.
    I'm not sure if MS asked why, but I told them I went to a bigger HDD.

10. gunner

gunner Registered Member

Good information folks - one add'l question, will FDISR do a snapshot image of a partitioned HDD? Single drive with a C: E: and F: partition arrangement (all NTFS) -

(haven't had a chance to yet read your .pdf link Todd, so pardon the redundancy if this has already been answered)

thanks all -

11. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have four partitions and when a snapshot is created the partitions are on it also.

12. Peter2150

Hi Dallen

No it's not just Windows. Let's see. Microsoft Office,Scansoft's(Nuance now) PaperPort,Omnipage, Safe'n'Sec, Online Armor, Kaspersky's latest products that are in beta.

Is it a concern that they won't reactivate you. No. But it just may be a time issue you have to deal with.

Pete

13. dallen

dallen Registered Member

The time issue is a concern. I guess the reason I may not see it as being as big of an issue as some is because I only use two of those products you mention. Windows and Office. Although, you are working at getting me to switch to KAV, so it may be three in the future. ;)
    Do you know if it is an issue with Symantec's products? God knows I don't want to have to call them.

14. WWS

WWS Registered Member

My experience with Symantec was I had to activate NAV2005 on my PC and my daughter's PC...haven't gotten in a situation where I had to reactivate it, though.
    For me, I'm not going to stay with NAV...it's going to be NOD32 for me.
    My daughter will be getting NAV2006 only because after rebates/upgrade I got it for nothing.

15. dallen

dallen Registered Member

WWS,
    Thank you for replying with your experience regarding the reactivation of NAV. Without wanting to derail this thread onto the all-to-familiar anti-virus debate, I will just say that I have contemplated making a switch myself. The intent of my question focused specifically on people that have had reactivation issues after either using First Defense to restore their system or restoring from an image. If anyone has specific experience with either of those instances, I would like to hear about them. Thanks again WWS.

16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Your norton antivirus reg# is stored on the symantec server when you first activate Norton antivirus and if you do have to do a restore or even a reformat and restore when you reinstall Nav you have to put the reg# in the boxes again and when Nav connects to the symantec servers it will match the numbers that it has on file and the one you used on reinstall and you will not have to reactivate. I have done it several times and it is always the same.

17. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Thanks bigc73542. This is exactly the information I was looking for.

18. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Hello again Dallen :)

I trust everything is well these days over Purdue way?

Good to see you.

19. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Easter,
    I do not want to hijack this thread for a personal discussion. I will say that I've left Boiler country due to graduation. Presently, I'm located in Valparaiso, Indiana (near Chicago) attending law school. Regarding "everything [being] well", I'm trying to keep my sanity while sifting through these inhumanly thick law books. If you get a chance, send me a PM letting me know what you're up to these days. In an effort to relate this to the topic at hand, what do you think about this cutting-edge FirstDefense-ISR software? In my personal opinion, it is the foundation of a reliable system.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.