A question about Uploadmalware.com

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by BoaterDave, Jul 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoaterDave

BoaterDave Registered Member

Hello

This is a sensible question. Please provide a sensible answer. ;)

*Why* does this operation/firm NOT send malware samples to Malwarebytes?

http://uploadmalware.com/vendors.php

By not doing so, this surely puts MBAM at a distinct disadvantage! :rolleyes:

Dave

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

3. BoaterDave

I saw this ........... is this what you are referring to? (I made this post 10)

This if from uploadmalware.com website.

We currently submit files to the following AntiMalware Vendors:

A-Squared, Ad-Aware, Ahnlab, AntiVir, ArcaBit, Arbor Networks, Authentium, Avast, Bit9, BitDefender, BoClean, Central Command, ClamAV, ClamWin, Comodo, Computer Associates, Counterspy, DialogueScience, DrWeb, eAcceleration, eSafe, Eset (NOD32), Ewido, Fortinet, Frisk / F-Prot, F-Secure, Grisoft (AVG), Ikarus, Kaspersky, McAfee, Protector Plus, Windows Defender, Norman, Panda Software, Proantivirus Lab, Sophos, Spybot S&D, SpySweeper, SuperAntiSpyware, THAV Antivirus, The Cleaner, Trend Micro, Trojan Remover, TrojanHunter, ViRobot, VirusBlokAda, QuickHeal, UNA, Virusbuster

No mention of Malwarebytes as far as I can see!

Perhaps you were referring to the supposition made by essexboy - which was then challenged by malcontent (i.e. it was a false claim - possibly)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

BoaterDave, looking at their Blog, no entries have been posted for 5 years. This MBAM Forum Thread is also from 2008.

The project seems abandoned IMO.

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

And as someone pointed out in the Avast forum, there doesn't seem to be code in the source to define where uploaded files should go to.

The number of files submitted seems a lot smaller than I'd have expected given the length of time it's supposed to have been running. I also notice the copyright year still shows 2006-2007.

I too think it's been abandoned.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  7. BoaterDave

Will you explain what you mean in more depth, please? I would like to better understand.

Can you point out where you discovered how many files have been submitted?

Your help is appreciated! :)

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

In the central part of the site: http://uploadmalware.com/vendors.php read the white text on the green background. HTH :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  9. BoaterDave

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

No problem ;)

11. BoaterDave

One down - this one to go!

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

BoaterDave, if you right click on their Home page (uploadmalware.com), and choose View Source (IE) or View Page Source (Firefox) to reveal the page's HTML code, the line that handles the form: <form name="uploadform" enctype="multipart/form-data" action="index.php" method="post"> is pointing to the site's index (Home) page, instead of a normal form processing script (like GoDaddy's gdform.php), thus the uploaded files are going nowhere.

13. BoaterDave

Thank you so much for explaining.

That surely can't be right? o_O

Have you any thoughts as to why this may be?

BD

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

BoaterDave, it's only a guess; perhaps when they decided to abandon the project, they disabled the form script and pointed the action to the Home page.

Further exploration of the HTML code reveals a JavaScript file (http://uploadmalware.com/scripts.js) incapacitating the form upload button as well.

15. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

BoaterDave, sorry I didn't get back to answer your questions, but thanks to SweX & JRViejo for doing so. Surprised you missed the text outlining the number of files submitted though! Easily done I guess. :)

Regarding the page source code, it was 13thSlayer in the Avast forum who first pointed out there was nowhere for files to go to as evidenced when one views the HTML code for the page. That was almost 3 years ago, and it looks like nothing's changed since then. The project does, therefore, look abandoned, but I have no idea why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.