A question about Motherboard change

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nicM, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicM

nicM nico-nico

I've a desktop whose the motherboard died lately, a HP, the compagny where I did buy it ask 400 € to replace :eek: ... (I guess because they can find exactly the same as the old one).

When I see we can find decent motherboards for 50 € today (the computer is not a recent one, it's 2-3 years ago) if the socket is 478 only, I plan to change the motherboard with a "retail" one, since 400 € is ways to much.

But as I don't know a lot about theses stuff, maybe someone can check something for me :

if my current dead motherboard is this one , can I change for this one ?

The point I'm not sure about is if we can place the MSI one in the HP box? (I mean if dimensions and mounting place are the same). They talk about uATX Board Form Factor about the HP, I don't know the difference with ATX. The computer is a HP T 465.fr.

There are several models I'm looking about, costing 50-80 €, all I want to know if we can mount theses in a HP desktop; if HP boxes are standard size o_O

Cheers,
    nicM

2. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

It will be easier to help you if you can give the full list of hardware... i.e CPU, memory, HD (IDE or ATA) etc

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

uATX means microATX and it is physically smaller than ATX. i dont knwo if teh HP case can accept larger ATX mobos, so to be safe get a microATX mobo like a ASUS P4P800-VM. i have never tried replacing a mobo in a manufactured comp, but good luck.

4. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Thanks betauser, I think I know what to do about this, my concern was mostly about the size of motherboards - I never have installed a motherboard before, and I was not sure if a non-original Motherboard could be installed in a HP box.

Thanks WSFuser, I did search a little bit in the meantime about micro-atx, and that's exactly my problem : to know if we can replace Motherboard in a manufactred computer :doubt: ... I hope their boxes are "standard" inside, and not custom - will ask it in a shop tomorrow ;) . That's weird indeed, to put a microATX in such a big box!

Among the few models I've seen, the MSI seems good, I had seen the one you posted too, I don't really understand the difference.

ps : I did always buy HP/Compaq computers before, but this one died one week after the end of the 2-year warranty :eek: :ouch: ... I wonder if HP is as reliable as it was before...

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I really believe that HP and Compaq computers areas dependable as ever. but there are exceptions and some are sure to die earlier that most of the same type. I have used HP products for many years and have always gotten great service from them.

6. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Sure :) , but if ever you're asked for a 400 € repair for a problem occured only few days after the warranty, one of theses days, you can feel a sort of "irrational" hate as I do now...

Maybe you already had the problem, I don't know, but it led me to the decision to build my next computer myself (I mean to choose the components), rather than to buy another HP/Compaq (we did buy 5 in the last 3 years).

Oh, and 400 € for a motherboard... I could buy a cheap computer with that...

Cheers,
    Nico

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Check out the mother boards Here I had one Hdd go out in the thirteen HP and Compaq comps I have owned in the past.

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

feel free to PM if ya need advice ;)

9. nicM

nicM nico-nico

@Bigc : Thanks for the link, they've a large choice ;) . Slightly different than european models though, but the price are with processor included, wow! :eek: , interesting.

@WSFuser : Thanks, I'll ask you if I need advice when I undertake the build of my next one :) .

10. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

A couple things to consider when using a factory box to rebuild:

1. Usually a good idea to get a new, compatible power supply, and make sure it will fit in the box you're using. Many proprietary cases will not take "generic" type ps's, and many proprietary ps's won't work with more "generic" mb's, and can turn them into very expensive wall decorations. :ouch:

2. Some proprietary cases have specific fan setups inside that can interfere with generic board installation, and can require some work inside the case.

With some work, and careful planning, you can get an HP/Compaq/Dell box to rebuild in, but preparation is key! ;)

11. nicM

nicM nico-nico

:doubt: ... It's going complicated... I just want to change the motherboard in this one, with eventually memory if needed. I think I'll bring the box to a assembly shop, I won't take the risk to buy a motherboard which doesn't match to the HP box :D .

But Thank you for the tips.

Cheers,
    nicM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.