a project: mirror Google and YUI -hosed javascript libraries locally, XAMPP

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by inka, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inka

inka Registered Member

If the goal is to improve pageload speed, LocalStorage (not yet supported by all browsers) makes more sense.

No, I don't believe the motivation behind "cloud-hosted javascript libraries" is benevolent.
    Examine the HTTP response headers of js files served by the repositories; they state a 5 minute cache lifetime**
    -=-
    Better check, in case a newer version of jquery-1-6-1.min.js exists, since 5 minutes ago ?!?
    This is preposterous! By design, the content of a version-named js library will NEVER change!

** ( No, I don't believe the header is being inserted by my ISP, via a caching proxy )

So, toward both defending privacy AND conserving bandwidth (downloaded libraries lost each time cache is cleared)...

it should be feasible to proxy/redirect to localhost, calls for:
    ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/
    code.google.com/apis/ (serves webfonts + libraries)
    yui.yahooapis.com/
    ajax.microsoft.com/ajax/
    www .asp.net/ajaxlibrary/

==================

references:

^------- bustin the myth

^--------- this is fairly complete list of popular libraries (not necessarily hosted)

^---------------- There ya go! It's right there, stated in black and white!

^----- someone tried to maintain an alternate, mirror repository... and gave up

^------- somebodees (plural) cares. somebodees monitors and tracks and...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.