A problem with NOD32 and scanning

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Red Dawn, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Dawn

Red Dawn Registered Member

I have noticed that NOD32 is taking a very, and I mean, VERY long time to scan my hard drive, when before, it would take 20 minutes or so, now we are talking over 3+ hours for the same drive. I've also noticed that if I go into my Local Settings/Temp folder, I have ton's of .TMP files, that I believe are created by NOD32. They are labeled as IH83E.TMP, IH84E.TMP and so on. I did a search here in the forums, and noticed some people had the TMP issues, but nothing seems to reslove the problem for me, nor the very slow scan speed. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this?

Winxp PRO/SP2
    Celeron 600
    512mb of ram...
    20gb hard drive, defraged every monday night...
    NOD32 v2.7 FULL with Blackspear settings..

anything else that is needed, I will be more then happy to post. Thank you.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Temp files created by NOD32 are in the form "nod*.tmp"

3. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Man......Now you are talking of a great answer! :oops:

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Have you tried emptying your Temp files by using a program such as CCleaner?

Cheers :D

5. Red Dawn

Really, I thought NOD was what caused these TMP files.. cause I have tons of them that form. Blackspear, thanks for the reply, but I just manually clean them every night. I'm going to have to search what could be causing these files to be coming up on my machine.

What about the slow scan speed though, is there anything I can do to find out why it's taking hours to do a scan for about 6GB worth of files? Thanks for the replies.

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I would suggest it has something to do with those Temp files being created, and as such once that is resolved so will the long scan issue.

Cheers :D

7. Red Dawn

you may be right, now the hard part in trying to figure out what is causing these tmp files to be created in the first place, since now I know it's not NOD32...thanks...

8. alglove

alglove Registered Member

For what it is worth, I also have those mysterious IHxxx.tmp files in my TEMP folder (most of them 0 kB or 1 kB), but I do not experience slowdowns. I am not sure what creates those files. I also have other files in there named flaXXX.tmp, which I am pretty sure are created by Macromedia Flash, and AcrXXX.tmp, which are created by Adobe Acrobat.

As for tracking down the long scan times, try splitting your scans into several groups. For example, try a separate scan for each folder in the C:\ root directory, and see if any one of them takes an inordinately long time.

9. Red Dawn

Thanks for the input, I'll try that as well and see what happens, and if I find out where these tmp files are coming from, I'll let you know. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.