A prime example of attempted fraud on eBay!

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by HandsOff, Oct 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I ran across this while bidding. I thought it was pretty classic, so I saved it. The $300 offer is about 50% more than the item would cost brand new, which is a pretty obvious red flag.

The sellers answer was pretty good too!

"Q: I want to know if really this item is in good condition and also i will pay $300 to end the bid bcos of my ugrency.I will like to make a quick purchase on the item cos I am using it as a gift to a friends son who is out of the country.he is really going to love it.My payment method is Western Union Money Order Bidpay.If ok by you kindly get back to me with the full name and address of where you want the money to be mailed out to so i can proceed with payment immedaitely.I will take all the shipping responsibilities i have an account with fedex and i will like the item to be shipped through my fedex account.So you wont need to pay any shipping cost all the shipping cost will be billed to my fedex account.So once the payment has been approved and you have recieved the payment approval confirmation,i will send you all neccessary shipping document for the fedex pick plz get back to me with your full name and address and also the lbs of the package so i can proceed to payment immdaitely
    Sep-26-05

A: screw off!!!

-HandsOff

2. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

HandsOff,

Thanks for the warning, that's a new one on me!
    Here is some more info on the scam if others are interested.

But I don't understand something with the fraudster using their fedex account.
    It removes the hesitation for the seller sending something overseas, but how would this variant of the fraud play out?

Seller receives regular mail with fedex shipping documents.
    Seller receives fake email from Western Union saying that they will release payment once they get the tracking number.
    Seller fills out fedex docs, calls fedex, they pick up package.
    Does the seller go to a phishing site in the email to give them the tracking number? The fraud buyer gets the tracking number then sends a fake confirmation? The fraud buyer gets the merchandise (but pays shipping) and the buyer doesn't get paid.

But if the fraudster used a fedex account, then wouldn't there be a way to trace it back to them?
    Is there more to this fraud?
    How does the seller usually receive a Western Union Bill Pay?
    Is the sellers bank account required to do the transfer?
    If that is the case, then when the seller puts in their bank account number into the Phishing Western Union site, they would be exposed to direct draft check fraud.

3. HandsOff

Well, that's what makes it so interesting. From the standpoint of the seller, all you have to know is that nobody is going to offer $300.00 for (i did not say before but it was ...) a used sony playstation 2.

Still it's fun to guess. for the tracking number:

1- the tracking number is for the receiver's peace of mind, i think, not the senders. If the function is to establish that a package has been received, this is not a problem for the receiver.

2- if it is the defrauder's account, would they even provide any additional information to the sender? The do not work for the sender.

3- I do not even know what western union bidpay is. it may well be that it is no better than a check, that may or may not be funded. I thought someone else might know.

I have only been the buyer on ebay, never the seller. I am beginning to think it is "let the seller beware" as far as ebay is concerned.

-HandsOff

P.S. - Scams do interest me. This is because (like this case) very often I do not know what the scam is. And sadly, many times do not even recognize it as a scam. So it is really self preservation for me.

4. HandsOff

ROFL!

I just read the story you refered to, and have to say it is very clever how one would be victim struck back. I think it is worth quoting, since the more people who turn the table on defrauders, the fewer there will be.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Email by name withheld:

Just the other day I had this great idea to sell some stuff on the web. A friend of mine told me about this site called Craig's List. It's sort of a classified for almost anything. I put a tile saw, glass table top, maxima wheels, and an NEC 21 inch Monitor. I sold the tile saw the same day, and then began receiving email about the monitor from over seas. All seem to have the same approach.
    "I am very interested in the monitor and have prepared cashier's check in the full amount and would like to send to you as soon as you have sent the monitor."

Now for many of you who have bought or sold anything from the web you have to be careful of all the scams out there. I received an email from an individual who seemed interested in the monitor and was willing to pay through BidPay. He claimed this was a safer way to pay and it would cover both of us. I emailed my address for where to send the payment, for which I would then send the monitor.

Well, last night I received "PidPay" confirmation that the payment had been made and the Money Order would be sent as soon as the monitor was shipped and I provided the tracking number. The purchaser, Jimmy James emailed me a FedEx shipping label and the deal was done. Or was it? Since I am a complete skeptic about these things and all I had was an email, I read the BidPay confirmation email very carefully and realized that since I had a BidPay account, then why did the confirmation emails say the came from an "accountant.com" email address. This would be the first time I have ever seen any company that handles money use alternate "free" email domains to handle business. I looked at my emails from BidPay for my account, and sure enough the all came from BidPay.com, not "accountant.com."

Accountant.com offers free email to anyone who wants to sign up.

Well here I am with a monitor, a Priority FedEx Shipping label to Nigeria, and no money. I decided to send Jimmy James a little reply to his BidPay offer. Now if anyone ever has this problem, please let me know as I always have extra packing material since I have 6 dogs and 4 cats.

First of all you have to start with a good sound box. Line the box with good heavy plastic and then with cardboard so the plastic does not tear. After all this is going all the way to Nigeria. Lay the concrete pavers on the cardboard and write a little note to the buyer, like "**** YOU" or whatever you believe most professional.

Second, you need to add some packing material. I decided that used cat litter with all the goodies that go along with it. It makes great filler, but unfortunately it adds no value to sent removal. I also added some old Little Friskies cans with some of the savory juices I rescued out of the trash can in the garage.

Third, if you still need packing material I suggest something from the yard. I happen to have 6 dogs that can produce a large amount of recycled packing material. Fill the box as much as you can with this biodegradable packing material that has been recycled at least once already.

Last, add a surprise to the package, a little something extra to really make their day. I found "Sparky" the sail squirrel out on Hatch Rd near the end of my street. Sparky looked a little run down and needed a vacation, so I encouraged him to accompany the note and packing material to Nigeria to further get my point across that I don't like people who have nothing better to do than try and screw over people selling or buying items off the internet.

Hope this helps all. I have enclosed a few packing pic's in case you need visual assistance in packing the box.

Special "THANKS" to Jimmy for the prepaid FedEx Priority Label to ship my items to Nigeria."

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I decided to leave the pictures to your imagination, (or follow the link). I think you get the idea, right?

http://www.joewein.de/sw/fraud-bidpay-get-even.htm

-HandsOff

5. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

I was ROFL too! I thought that would be a great way to give back to all the kindness the scammers have shown.

However something didn't seem right, a little digging led to this...
    With fedex, your account has to be inside the U.S. in order to email the prepaid label.

So that means one of two things:
    1. The fraudster has an accomplice inside the U.S.
    2. More likely, the Nigerian fraudster is using a stolen US credit card.
    Apparently, with a US card, you can create a fedex account in 5 minutes.
    If the fraudster tried to do that from Nigeria, it would be scrutinized much closer and take a lot longer.
    So by shipping the box-'O-goodies to Nigeria, the seller is actually participating in a fraudulent credit card charge that will be placed on the person's card that was stolen. That is not to mention the fact that the criminals that receive the package have your real name, email and physical address. These are people who you do not know and may be connected to a larger crime ring.

Perhaps a better choice would be to give the fraudster a completely fake name and address and then call the number below.
    If you did happen to fall for it enough that you gave them your real name and address, just call fedex revenue services and ask for the fraud dept.
    Give them the tracking number from the label and they will be able to connect it to the fraudulently created account and terminate it.
    Tell fedex to contact the credit card bank to inform them that the card was stolen. They should be inclined to do this so they don't have trouble with the bank.
    Here is the number for fedex revenue services: 800-622-1147 ask for fraud dept.

Be wary of people who are acting as an agent or are buying for someone to be shipped out overseas. If the person wants your item, they should order it directly from you.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  6. HandsOff

I'm not sure why but some sellers do not accept Paypal. Maybe there is a service charge. But if I were a seller I think that would be the best option because the transactions are automatically insured up until a certain dollar amount.

-HandsOff

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I always prefer to buy from PayPal-certified sites. PayPal's no fraud, I assure you.

8. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

I prefer shopping at the store. At least then I can see the actual merchandise I am buying.:D

9. HandsOff

Think of it as a really, really, big store!

- HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.