A prayer for Jim

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by NanDog, Feb 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

As a Pacific Northwest backcountry skier, hiker and climber, I expect some of my ilk will be in the news sooner or later. Just this morning heard on the local CBS radio station that 3 climbers from the Seattle/Tacoma area died in an avalanche outside of Banff, Canada. One was a friend of mine, Jim Andrues! That makes about 6 friends who've died in mountain accidents in the last 12 years or so! :'(

Please pray for Jim and his 2 partners who died with him!

Thank you!

Tim

2. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi Tim,

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. And will say a prayer for him tonight.

Take good care!

3. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

So will I.

4. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

Thank you Dan and Uguel! As someone who's been the survivor of a climbing accident on a remote mountain but who had to cradle a dying friend in his arms, I appreciate your support and prayers! I've had several dear friends who've died both in the peaks of North America and the Himalayas! Climbing and backcountry skiing are great, rewarding sports but not without their dangers. Losing friends is never easy! Jim and I used to teach climbing classes together and although I haven't seen him the last few years, he was always a good guy and a dedicated climber! May God rest his soul and give solace to friends, family and loved ones!

5. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

i live in washingtion near tacomah by gig harbor

im sorry for your lost i personaly dont understand why people climb those two populer mountains around here people die all the time doing it

last story i heard was a young girl and man climb on one of those two populer mountains and they froze to death on a cliff

he had given his jacket to her knowening he would die but maybe she might make it

with extra jackit

i can imagine as he passed alway she was holding him she i guess from corners report passed alway not to far dowen the line tears frozen on her cheeks.

i guess the guy and girl were only friends

still the fact he gave his life knowinly he would not last long with out his jacket to save her tells alot more

kinda like romeo and juliet

personaly i think rock climbing those two moutains should be band they clame so many lifes yet its not illigal to climb them

6. subratam

subratam Registered Member

God bless them ...

7. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

Blaze,

Climbers and backcountry skiers do what they do because they love being in the mountains! I've been climbing and backcountry skiing for nearly 25 years all across the North American continent and that's where I go for peace and tranquility. I've climbed "The Mountain" (Mt. Rainier) 5 times and have camped in the summit crater twice. It's a nearly religious experience to be up there at dusk on the crater rim (the highest point of Washington State) with good friends and look out at the myriad lights of Puget Sound, the San Juan Islands, see the moon rising over the lights of Yakima, look down on the towns of Morton and Randle......

Is it dangerous? Sure! But so is driving on I-5! There are more people who die in traffic accidents than those who die in climbing accidents! But climbing accidents always get media attention and the media make us climbers and skiers out as irresponsible risk takers. That's not the case! Most of us are highly skilled in mountain safety, first aid, navigation and avalanche awareness! Most search-and-rescue dollars are spent on lost day-hikers and campground campers who wander off from established trails, not on climbers and bc skiers!

So please do not paint us all with the same brush! Of course, some folks take off into the mountains ill-prepared and uneducated. They become the source of news stories! That's not true of all of us!

I've skied and climbed in North America, Mexico and Canada. It's where I go to find spiritual fulfillment, peace and joy. The mountains are my home. I hope you can understand this! Pax!

Tim

Edited to add: You know, I just realized this thread pushed me over the 50 posts limit and made me a "Junior Member". When I first came to this board I sort of looked forward to being a "Junior Member" and the perks that designation entails. But I never foresaw that this sorrowful thread would be the means to arrive at that point! It's seems sort of providential that something I looked forward to was accomplished through the death of a friend and the accompanying sorrow! Man, it is so true that God works in mysterious ways! Praise be to God even though we don't understand his ways! :)

8. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Will do.

9. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Dear NanDog,

I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.
    What a sad day.
    My condolences to you and his family and friends.

Wishing you all the strength needed !
    Warm regards, Jan.

10. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

NanDog,

You and your friends are in my thoughts.....

Regards,
    Kent

11. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

A prayer for Jim - done

Expert climbers had no chance
    Colleagues led fruitless search on Mount Wilson

Calgary Herald

Saturday, February 14, 2004

Three experienced ice climbers, including two police officers from Washington state, are dead after being swept off an ice fall in an avalanche north of Lake Louise.

The three Puget Sound-area men, on holiday with friends, were on a route called Midnight Rambler on Mount Wilson, about an hour north of Lake Louise, when a Class 3 avalanche hit and pulled them off the challenging 240-metre-long route Thursday afternoon.

Redmond, Wash., police Lieutenant John Miner, 53, and Russ Howard, 42, with the city's public works signal division died in the accident. The third victim is Jim Andrues, 66, a Pierce County community service officer from Tacoma, just south of Seattle.

"Both men were dedicated and valued employees, ones we very much miss," Redmond Mayor Rosemarie Ives said Friday of Miner and Howard. "Our prayers go out to their families, who are suffering a great loss. Our city family is also having a difficult time with the news -- it's very hard to lose one of your own."

All three men were experienced mountaineers on holiday with four other men from the state. This is the third year in a row the group had visited the mountain park.

Read more:
    http://www.canada.com/calgary/calgaryherald/story.asp?id=8ADE90AE-89C7-4749-A614-571C9D3BDA3A

12. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Sorry to hear you lost a friend. Condolences are extended to you and the family of your friend. Nandog be safe and take care when you climb or ski when in the mountains.

13. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Sorry to hear about the lose of your friend Nandog.

14. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

Thanks for all the prayers and good thoughts, you all. It is much appreciated!

15. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Sorry for the loss, I will keep them in my prayers.

16. sig

sig Registered Member

As you said, "May God rest his soul and give solace to friends, family and loved ones," including you, NanDog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.