A newbie Macbook user - Help with security

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Dark Shadow, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I just purchased a used late 2009 Macbook in pristine condition.It has 10.7.4 Lion installed. and I am Looking for some security suggestions how to harden the OS and perhaps some third party security recommendations.As of right now, I am still finding system updates.

I have added Chrome for my default browser and have turned on the system firewall to block all incoming.I also Have my wireless network set up and secured.

Any suggestion would be great thank you.

2. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

You say "pristine". Does that mean you re-installed the operating system yourself? If not I would do that. That would be my first security suggestion.

Then I'd recommend the standard stuff;
    -enable hardware firewall (on your router)
    -enable software firewall (especially when you connect to free wifi)
    -install all updates for operating system and software automatically
    -exercise common sense when browsing
    -use good passwords (which means more than 8 characters and mix of upper/lower case, symbols & numbers)
    -only install services and software you actually need
    -secure the services you do install. If you don't know how, research each one.
    -have backups. If something funky happens you can always just reinstall and restore your data from good backups.

3. Dark Shadow

Yes, fresh install of lion from snow leopard and the physical condition looks new and its not refurbished just well taken care of.

So far I have it all system updates and the Firewall on to block all inbound connections and a firewall router on with a long password.I added google chrome default browser and Faronics DeepFreeze.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  4. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

just dont add any crapware on your system 80% system infected because we installed some crapwhere ourself so be careful what you installing rest your security is ok ;)

5. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

Mac OSX is a POSIX compliant OS so make sure you learn some command line tools such Openssl, GPG to encrypt files. Back your disk regularly. Install xcode to get command-line tools so that you can compile linux software from the source.
    If you can install Mountain lion, it will be better in terms of kernel security.

6. Dark Shadow

I have the standard 2 gigs of ram but from what I was told it will take up to 8 gigs. Apple Says it supports 4 gigs. I will probably upgrade to MT Lion once I upgrade the ram.

I also found out that It has Applecare protection plan for phone support and hardware parts and labor warranty until june 2013 and apple was so kind to transfer the warranty over to me.Confirmation through phone support and email.

Thanks for the security tips and advice,much appreciated.

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

FWIW, last year I was considering an iMac and happened across a thread at the Apple forum talking about not mixing brand names while adding Ram sticks, as someone was having problems because he apparently did.

8. Dark Shadow

I will not mix,I will replace both sticks with 2x4 gigs of Kingston.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.