A New Encryption Giant?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by luv2bsecure, Feb 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

A NEW ENCRYPTION GIANT??

The February issue of SC Magazine has given Cypherus
    Version 2.0 a thumbs-up in a big way. I have used the trial version of Cypherus encryption program and was extremely impressed. Cryptography and encryption tools are my field of study and part-time profession. After I received the evaluation version in the mail a month or so ago, within 15 minutes I was wondering if this program was going to get the attention it deserved. Cypherus ( [link]http://www.cypherus.com[/link] ) is a subsidiary of the APMSafe  company ( [link]http://www.apmsafe.com[/link] ) , a very respected company in the field of biometric computer identification.

SC Magazine gave it a flattering review [link]http://www.scmagazine.com/scmagazine/sc-online/2002/review/04/product.html[/link] and their final tally?
    Five out of Five stars across the board. Impressive. It's just what I saw in my 30 days with this program. I liked it a lot and it's great to see it might get the attention it is due.

http://www.cypherus.com/images/box_designs/safe_box2.jpg

It's worth looking at. With Drivecrypt having troubles, BestCrypt still too expensive and ScramDisk history, Cypherus, using 448/Blowfish has made the move at the right time.

John

[hr]
    I removed the URL tags.  The image is breaking the entire screen horizontal.  Zhen-Xjell

2. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

error in you url, you have a space int the .html part of the file. Should read:

http://www.scmagazine.com/scmagazine/sc-online/2002/review/04/product.html

3. luv2bsecure

Thanks Unicron!
    Did you take a look at the program? I reinstalled it last night and am using the email encryption this time with the "encrypt" and "decrypt" buttons integrated into my email program ... very interesting concept, even if you don't use their key server. You can send an encrypted email to anyone and with the password, they can go to a 128 bit ssl online auto-decrypt at Cypherus, paste in the encrypted message and hit "decrypt" and it's there. It's just kind of fun to look at the unique features. The encryption of files and folders into the containers is very easy to use. VERY interesting interface (choice of several actaully).

Hope all's well,

John

4. Zhen-Xjell

Zhen-Xjell Security Expert

Interesting new application ... cheap too.  But is the price of the program it?  Do you get onto their keyserver without paying extra?

5. luv2bsecure

Hello!
    ---------------------------------
    [link]http://www.cypherus.com/products/about_cypherus.php[/link]

Email encryption
    Because email should be as easy to secure as it is to use, Cypherus integrates with major email clients to provide one click message encryption.

Cypherus uses Public Key Infrastructure, or PKI, technology to make the encryption process as easy and secure as possible. When you click on the encrypt button, Cypherus looks to see if it has a public key for the recipient. If so, it uses it to encrypt the message. Now when the other person receives the email, they just have to click the decrypt button to read the email. Cypherus looks up the users private key, and the message is decrypted. Cypherus makes use of the industry standard Diffie-Hellman protocol to implement its PKI system.

The Cypherus Key Server is the center of how Cypherus secures email. Whenever a new user is created, Cypherus asks the user to register on the Key Server. At this point, the user inputs the email addresses that they want to receive encrypted email at. After this is done, Cypherus generates a public and a private key. It stores the private key internally, but it uploads the public key to the Key Server, along with the email addresses the user wants to be contacted at. Now whenever another Cypherus user wants to email you, they can find your information on the Key Server and secure email is just one click away.

Just because someone does not have Cypherus does not mean that your correspondence should be compromised. Cypherus provides a free service on our website called Webdecryptaur, which allows someone who has received an encrypted Cypherus email to decrypt and read it via the web and a secure SSL channel.
    ------------------------------------

A support email went to Cypherus and was PROMPTLY responded to. Yes, the $50 package is inclusive and includes keyserver access.

Not bad!

John

6. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

This seems like an incredible deal - I may have to look into it.

And with the good reviews, it only "sweetens an already ripe fruit".

7. JD

JD Registered Member

What about digital signatures? I didn't see any support for that.

8. Gnostic

Gnostic Registered Member

How does Cypherus compare with pgp 6.5.8?  Does it perform any tasks that pgp can't?  Is it easier to use?  Is it worth $50 when pgp is free?  I know that, in most cases, commercial software is better than free--but is it in this case?  Nothing against Cypherus--I haven't tried it--just interested. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.