A new approach to security...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Nevi, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevi

Nevi Registered Member

Hi guys...
    I would like to ask a question,regarding the application Geswall.The last month,I have used Geswall free only.No antivirus.I have a router,and then I use Windows firewall to enforce and stealth my router.I have been attacked a couple of times but nothing bite on Geswall.But I would like to know,has anyone any knowledge about this application?Is there any malware,bad rootkits or something,Geswall can not handle?
    This is actually my only concern,that some hardcore malware can go trough (although it would surprice me).But better safe than sorry?
    Thanks in advance.

2. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Surely it exists or it will exist. No security software is perfect and invulnerable. No software can ensure a final security. Security is a " complex " process, and it requires a multi layer approach.

p.s.. I also use GesWall, it's a powerfull program, but ...up.

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

the good thing about geswall and similar programs(defensewall)is that rootkits requiare to install a driver and geswall criple any installation so the rootkits or any malware is criple(uselesss):thumb:can not install properlly can not hurt you at all

4. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Nothing can offer 100% protection Nevi,however if you create regular backup system images,using the likes of AcronisTI or Macrium Reflect;coupled with a few on demand scans you can mitigate any breaches.

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yep, configuration errors and NTFS limitations do make GeSWall bypasseable.

When you have 7-zip in a different directory installed, it could be started as trusted, when you open an untrusted 7-zip file and extract the files they are trusted.

When you copy/move an untrusted file to another partition, it becomes trusted, again bingo

When you use 7-zip context menu (unzip/extract here) and have 7-zip in the correct directory installed, it still will change an untrusted 7-zip contents to trusted, because it is handled through a trusted process explorer (will hapen even in GesWall Pro disable these context menu option through your OS)

Advise:
    Buy the GesWall pro version and learn how to configure, or buy DefenseWall and have total untrusted file control implement without any user hassle (all programs recognised automatically, no matter where installed, resource protection is pre-configure).

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.