A Long Time...

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by manOFpeace, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Hello, my "Weekly Scan of C Drive" has started to take a very long time to complete. This morning almost 1½ hours. This has been the time taken these past few scans. Is this normal? :doubt:

Attached Files:

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It will depend on the files/types scanned . And under such circumstances , yes - it could be normal . For example your "System Restore" folder is getting bigger and bigger (by default it is enabled) . You get new files every month with the new Microsoft updates . Don't forget the temp files which might also grow

I suggest you to empty your %temp% directories , flush system restore and try again :thumb:

3. manOFpeace

Hello HiTech_boy, thanks for reply. I have three self made restore points, don't know what has happened to automatic ones. They were OK until lately. On checking my %temp% folder I see 47.2 kbs. I try to keep a lean mean machine! Perhaps there is a build-up elsewhere.
    On checking back to last weeks time it is a little bit less @ 1.14.58
    I will sometime try an ordinary scan to see how long it takes for that. :)

Belarc tells me I need 57 Windows updates, I'm not too keen on loading some of them.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi manOFpeace ! :)

Let us know the results after "cleaning-up" the machine ;)

5. manOFpeace

Hello HiTech_boy, what do you mean by "cleaning-up" the machine. Sorry to ask what is probably a simple question. o_O

6. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

clean your your %TEMP% folders etc.

I use and recommend ccleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com) - it's free and has a couple nice tools as well, ie, you can remove items from your startup, and it has a half decent registry cleanup option.

hth

Greg

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Well , I mean what I wrote in my first answer . Although you have only 3 restore points , just flush the function . Run Disk Clean-up (Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools) and then scan again ;)

8. webyourbusiness

1 more thing I always do is reduce the amount of disk space that can be used by IE and Mozilla for temp storage - by default, IE will take up to 10% of the disk it is install on (at least on my XP system) - on my machine, that would be a whopping 15Gb (150Gb primary drive) - that's retarded. I change it to 50 or 100Mb.

In IE:
    Tools | Internet Options | General | Temporary Internet Files | Settings

If you have a scan that has literally many GB less of data to scan, that will help a lot!

9. webyourbusiness

In Firefox 2 - Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Cache

10. webyourbusiness

I want to address your first question - is 5000 seconds normal?

Well... I just checked two machines...

the one I'm set at now is a dual-core with almost a terabyte of disk, but only perhaps 5% used - this machine's scan is 1400 seconds for my weekly deep scan.

One of my work machines only has an 80Gb drive that is almost full - lots of small files, lots of zips - that machine's deep weekly scan was 8000 seconds - ie is a lowly athlon 1500+ processor with a gig of ram...

so... is this now "normal" - I think it might be. I haven't taken notice of these in a while - but I do think they have increased probably a significant amount on their scan time in the last year, and I don't tihnk it's my machine, perhaps an update added something that takes a long time to scan certain file types, but I have EVERY option turned on for both of these machines, and my weekly scans occur in off-peak times, ie, during the night, so I never notice them.

hth

Greg

11. manOFpeace

Hello HiTech_boy and webyourbusiness, Thanks for all the help and "research" you have put in to help me. I already use CCleaner, run it every other day. I ran a couple of "ordinary" Nod32 scans and they took just under 6 mins.
    I haven't gotten round to do the clean-up yet but I will. It looks like the deep scan time could be the norm.
    Dinners ready and "her indoors" has called and you know what that means. o_O
    Will report back later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.