A Loading Problem, Help?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Oneothora, Mar 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oneothora

Oneothora Registered Member

Hey all, it's been a while since I been around, but anyway, my friend currently has a problem with loading pages, they start loading and then stop half way, could anyone be able to tell me how she could fix that problem?

Um, to be more specific, the problem was described as this:

"When I call up a site, sometimes the bargraph indicates loading then stops half way. Sometimes it fills completely and just stops without giving me the new page; and sometimes I get two sections on the bargraph for a few seconds then get the "This page cannot be connected" message. The problems occur on new pages and also when using my "Favourites" list."

Oh yea, one more thing, I currently found a Trojan.Byteverify in my Java cache, could I be reminded how I empty it again? Would greatly love you all forever.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Oneothora,

I struggled a bit with where to place your thread since you actually have two questions unrelated to each other. But since your first question seems to be the main one, and involving IE, I've moved your thread from the General Topics forum over into the Software & Services forum, at least until we find out what the problem is with your friend's browser not loading correctly.

Sometimes other security software can interfer with pages loading, so can you tell us a bit more information about her system, along with what other security apps she is using, for example anti-spyware, anti-virus, firewall, etc.

For your question about emptying your Java cache, you can find the information here: Virus found in the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) cache directory If you find you are still having problems or questions in regards to removing Trojan.Byteverify, could you please open a new topic over in the Virus & Worms forum. ;)

Regards,

snap

3. Oneothora

Thank you. Heh, uh sorry, I didn't really know where to post it either.

Thank you for the Java info thing. :)

And her System info goes like this:

Microsoft Windows XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 1

Intel Celeron (R) CPU 2.66GHz
    2.67GHz
    504MB of RAM

Browser: Mozilla Firefox
    Antivirus: Norton
    Anti-Spyware: Adaware
    Firewall: Zone Alarm

I know the size and ram space and all was useless but I put it in anyway. Hope that helps people figure it out. Is there anything else that needs to be known?

Thanks. :D

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I would start with installing Service Pack 2 and see if that sorts it out. Then report back and we'll go from there...

Cheers :D

5. Oneothora

I hear Service Pack 2 stops alot of programs from functioning and becomes a big mess. Should she proceed with it anyway? :blink:

Thanks.

6. snapdragin

Oneothora, is this 'page cannot be connected' the message she is receiving? I'm asking only because most of the time when a page won't load you get a message similar to 'this page cannot be displayed'. Also, is this happening with FireFox, or IE6?

A few more questions
    - how long has this been happening?
    - has she done a scan with any of her security apps and removed any spyware infection?
    - when this happens, is she still connected to the internet, or is this just browser related?
    - she can also check with her firewall settings to see if anything is being blocked there (I am afraid I am not that familiar with ZoneAlarms settings but that would be the first place to look)
    - Also, what version of Norton's does she have, and does she have a pop-up blocker enabled in it?

snap

7. Oneothora

It happens with both Firefox and IE.

- how long has this been happening?

Since 3 days ago.

- has she done a scan with any of her security apps and removed any spyware infection?

She did a scan for spyware and found stuff but even after that was done she still couldn't view the pages.

- when this happens, is she still connected to the internet, or is this just browser related?

She's still connected, she says when that happens she is still able to do everything BUT see certain pages such as google, ebay and a bunch of other pages. However others are fine.

- she can also check with her firewall settings to see if anything is being blocked there (I am afraid I am not that familiar with ZoneAlarms settings but that would be the first place to look)

It happened before she installed Zone Alarm.

- Also, what version of Norton's does she have, and does she have a pop-up blocker enabled in it?

Not that she knows of. Version is 10.0.1.13

Hope that answers all. :3

Thanks.

8. Blackspear

You shouldn't have any issues with SP2, I would grab a disk from a local computer shop (they're free).

Has she installed any new software?

9. snapdragin

SP2 may resolve the problem as Blackspear said, but to avoid any possible problems with SP2 install, it is highly recommended to install it on a clean system. At the moment, I am not sure if it is or not a clean system so I don't want to suggest installing SP2, myself. But those are just my thoughts (I'm still on SP1 myself).

Well, we've ruled out it being one browser having the problems so in that case it can't be browser settings I would think.

We've also ruled out ZoneAlarm settings since this has been happening prior to that install. What firewall, if any, did she have before ZoneAlarm? Sometimes uninstalling a firewall and then installing a different firewall can cause some connection problems and the winsock can become corrupted, though this usually results in no internet access. Your friend still has internet access and able to load webpages, though not all of them. That could be a server issue with her ISP at the time she is trying to connect to the pages.

The fact that she did find some spyware and removed it (before this happened, or after? ) could be the culprit, though it's hard to say without knowing what was detected and removed.

Again, I am not much help with Nortons since I use NOD32. But she can check Norton's settings closer to see if there is a 'blocking' option there?

Before going to something like SP2, I would suggest since she did have some spyware in her system, that maybe posting a HijackThis log at one of the sites listed here: http://a-sap.org/ for a deeper analysis to see if anything more might be revealed that could be causing this. (please note that we no longer do HijackThis analysis here at Wilders)

She can find the download link for the most recent version of HijackThis here:
    HijackThis version 1.99.1

Please check back with this thread too in case other members may have other suggestions that might be helpful. I wish I could be of further help, but I've run out of ideas.

snap

10. snapdragin

11. Oneothora

Hmm.. Thanks for your help anyway.
    She removed the spyware thinking thats what was the problem, then proceeded to install Zone Alarm and I told her to turn off Windows Firewall.

She just told me that now, at a low traffic time, she can somewhat view those pages, only it takes a loooooonnnnnnggggggg time for them to load.

Might that help?

Thanks.

12. snapdragin

It does a little...lol And it could well be her ISP connection with those sites. But I would be guessing. She can call her ISP and see if there is any problems there..they can run tests to see how her connection is and may also offer some helpful suggestion.

I would still advise having her do the on-line scans too, and if her ISP says there is nothing wrong with her connection, then definitely follow up with a HijackThis analysis which may reveal more.

Edit to add - you are right to have told her to turn Windows FW off as she now has ZoneAlarm. Running two firewalls can cause issues.

Please let us know how it turns out, Oneothora. :)

Regards,

snap

PS. you can subscribe to this thread by going to the top of it and under the "Thread Tools", click on "Subscribe to Thread". That way you will receive an email notice if there are more posts to this thread. :)

13. Oneothora

HAHA um.. Well, all is good. She called her ISP company again and the lady informed her that all connections in her area were on some down thing so we now know it's the company and not the computer. Woo.. So sorry for wasting your time, but thank you soooo much for helping out.

For others with this problem, I suppose calling your ISP company is a good thing. Also it's everyone in Little Rock area experiencing this, so no panic, live and breathe. :p

Thanks again guys.

14. Blackspear

Being that she hasn't had spyware protection nor a firewall, I would strongly suggest a run through the comprehensive steps found in General Cleaning.

Then I would look at getting her security right, after installing SP2.

Let us know how you go...

15. Oneothora

Haha, I'll tell her that. Reason I haven't done it yet is because the warning disclaimer thing makes me skeptical, where if things go wrong or dont work anymore no one is responsible but myself.

But I will do the cleaning, and I'll let you know how it goes for both of us. :p

Thanks again.

16. Blackspear

You should be fine, it is a method that has been used many a time and should get your system clean. After this there are links at the end of General Cleaning that will give you a guide to securing each computer so you don't end up in the same boat again.

17. snapdragin

Hi Oneothora - I am so glad you and your friend were able to resolve her problem and that it's turned out to be her ISP having down-times (most likely doing server maintenance.)

Just as a precaution, once her connection is back up to speed of course, it still would be a good idea to go through the General Cleaning steps that Blackspear has given you a link to. The reason for that being that there would not have been protection for out-going connections with your friend having just Microsoft's firewall enabled prior to installing ZoneAlarm. That, and the fact you have mentioned that AdAware had found some spyware and removed it (hopefully all of it.)

There are some excellent links and advice to strengthen your security listed in Blackspear's General Cleaning thread. Then once you are sure your system and your friend's system is clean, you may want to reconsider installing SP2. It does offer better security protection, but of course this is a personal choice. If you have the SP2 CD on hand, then you can make the change when you are ready to, and there are people here that can help you with any questions you might have about it. :D

Best regards,

snap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.