A little theory i had about wifi connections (pc)

Discussion in 'hardware' started by carmel_andrews, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carmel_andrews

carmel_andrews Registered Member

Is it possible to create (WITHOUT an existing valid/working internet connection?) a valid/working Wi-Fi internet connection using two pc(s) and each pc having Wi-Fi hardware (i.e. either a Wi-Fi card or Wi-Fi adapter) and physically programming in 2 sets of valid/working IP addresses

Both pieces of Wi-Fi hardware I have (a Wi-Fi card in one pc and a W-Fi adapter in another pc) have both an AP mode built into the driver Wi-Fi scanning software as well as Ad-hoc mode as well

By 2 sets (since this will be using 2 pcs) I mean the IP address, subnet mask address, default gateway address and both parts of the DNS server addresses, as well as the details of the additional DNS addresses (the details that you put into the second tab of the advanced TCP/IP properties option or page) and also the details of the wins server addresses (the details that you put into the third tab of the advanced TCP/IP properties option or page)

2 things though, I am not clear where you go putting the DHCP server address (as mentioned in the ipconfig /all command, as part of the command prompt) or do you program that address using the netssh command (again, as part of the command prompt), if so how would I go about doing that, since you can’t enter those details into the 1st tab of the advanced tcp/ip properties options or page (which is where you enter the IP address, subnet mask address, default gateway address and both parts of the DNS server addresses)

Also, I am not sure where to obtain the address details to put into the 2nd and third tabs on the advanced TCP/IP properties option or page

Additionally how do I go about using the netssh command and ip/dns and dhcp etc routing (which is also mentioned in the ipconfig /all command) since I am guessing that this as well as the above is important in creating this working/valid Wi-Fi internet connection

Is it possible to do the above using the above setups or would I need to acquire a wireless router (which I understand can be configured as an wireless access point)

Also i understand there is something to do with 'proxies', whatever that is

Lastly i beleive you also have to configure IE (internet explorer) to working with this new connection via the netssh command, thats if my theory actually works (i don't think you'd need to configure FF, since i understand it works off, of or from the same internet settings as IE does, again...assuming my theory works, how would i go about configuring IE with the netssh command, via the command prompt

Just to let you know i am running an xp box that also has xp 64 installed as well (not really into linux....too weird and strange anyways)

I want to explore this theory as i'm not really into trying to hack someone's wep/wpa or wpa2 key (like they say, if you don't want to do the time, don't do the crime) and also piggybacking and leeching someone elses unsecured connection is just plain sad really (like i already said if you don't want to do the time, don't do the crime, since apparently you can get done for using someone elses unsecured connection)

Any help is greatly appreciated

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

No.

You can create a local area network, a LAN - and connect 100s of computers and printers and other network devices together through it. But none of those computers will be able to connect to the Internet without "an existing valid/working Internet connection" - via a "gateway" device (typically a modem) that basically connects your network to another network - in this case the Internet, as provided by the "Internet service provider" (ISP).

3. jonyjoe101

jonyjoe101 Registered Member

too complicated,
    just get an alfa 36r router (about 60.00)and one of the alfa 36 usb adapters (36neh,36nhr) (between 20-35.00) . Then you will have your own wifi if you are within range. Use a cantenna on the usb adapter so you get extended range in the 1000's feets.
    The alfa 36r router is standalone (doesnt need to be connected to computer except to choose the wifi source) then it recieves the signal through the usb adapter/cantenna then sends the signal backout with its own antenna.

The 36r router can be program to choose a wifi source through a lan cable or you can connect to it wirelessly.

The alfa 36 usb adapters are the best for wifi, anything else is too short range. Without a cantenna even the alfas adapters will be useless. Just get a rubber ducky antenna and stick it vertically by the rearend of a coffee can and you got a poorman cantenna that will work.

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

@jonyjoe - Sorry, but that will not work either. Note Carmel is seeking connection to the Internet. He is not trying to create a wireless network which is what your solution is doing.

@Carmel - as I noted above, you can create all the Ethernet or wireless networks you want, but you will still NOT be able to use the Internet. Your network MUST have an Internet connection provided by a Internet Service Provider (ISP) via a "gateway" device, typically served by a Cable/ADSL or dial-up modem or a satellite or cell provider.

5. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

EVERTHING Bill_Bright said in his two postings in this tread are 100% correct...:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.