A little help

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Daniel SR, Oct 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel SR

Daniel SR Guest

Hi there, my name is Daniel and I'm from São Paulo, Brasil (hackers paradise :).

Well, I was reading some posts and noticed that a lotta people in this forum seems to know a lot about security, av, at.... So I was wondering if u guys could tell me what r ur opinions about the following programs:

McAfee ViruScan
    Norton AntiVirus
    Eser NOD32
    Kaspersky
    Panda AV
    Avast

Which one u like the most and why?

I would appreciate it very much, cause I'm looking for some good protection for my pc.

cYa

2. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi Daniel!

I use and recommend both NOD32 and KAV Pro. I like NOD32 as it is a very light and fast scanner that is quite comprehensive. It provides very effective protection of email.

KAV is very good as a backup Anti-Trojan as well as an excellent AV scanner. It is more resource intensive but offers very formidable protection. Unfortunately, the current version has problems offering email protection in an environement that requires receipt of cryptographically signed emails (it will force Outlook to lockup). So I use KAV as a primary (active) scanner w/o email protection and NOD as a backup (on-demand) scanner with active email protection through its EMON and IMON components.

Hope this helps,

Dan

3. spydespiser

spydespiser Registered Member

Hi Daniel :)

I'm currently using Mcafee VS myself and am reasonably happy with it as it serves its purpose regarding my needs, although the others you mention are very popular here as well

No questions about firewalls then ?

I also have most of the wilders recommended software as well i.e SpyBot,Adaware,Spywareblaster to name a few, and these i feel are as important for me as my AV or F/W

Have a browse through a few of the threads while your here for more ideas how to keep your security tip top :)

It's all good at wilders

SpyD :cool:

4. Daniel SR

Daniel SR Registered Member

Hey..thanks...I think I'll give NOD a shot, everybody says nice things about it.

While u r here.....what about Firewalls? Any sugestions?

Thanks again.

5. Dan Perez

Regarding Firewalls I personally use Tiny 5.1 but it is rather involved in setting up. If I had come across LooknStop before Tiny I would be using that instead. I would encourage you to try that one. The only drawback (at present) to LnS is that you cannot create application-specific rules but that capability is going to be added in the next version.

6. Dan Perez

Oh! I just realized you had registered since the first post in the thread.

Welcome to Wilders!!!

:D

7. spydespiser

spydespiser Registered Member

Hi daniel :)

heres a thread where we voted on firewalls

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=13403

just to give you some ideas of whats out there, and there are a couple of opinions thrown in

Choice of firewall is really down to the user as some are newbie friendly(install and go) and some are more hardcore(rulesets have to be configured)

ZA,Sygate,Kerio are a couple of the popular ones
    and theres also Outpost,LnS

also by using a popular one you have instant access to a wealth of experience from the members here at wilders if you need help with anything

SpyD :cool:

Editted typo's

8. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Hello Daniel SR

NOD32 has never let any in-the-wild virii through in tests at Virus Bulletin and there are no confirmed reports of failure at any time. It is also very light on system resources.

Outpost Firewall is the best firewall in that it is the most flexible and passes all the online tests and uses system resources sparingly.

Best wishes

9. Weber

Weber Registered Member

Oi Daniel,

Eu uso o NOD32 como antivirus (ganhei uma licença aqui no forum) e o Kerio 2.1.5 como firewall, além de usar o Spybot S&D.

Uma ótima maneira de evitar infecção é não usar o Outlook ou o Outlook Express como cliente de e-mail.

Se a tua máquina for bem potente, tu pode tentar o KAV...

10. Daniel SR

I've just installed NOD32, and my first impression is that it's a great AV. Yes it is very light and the manual scan...omfg....is that fast or what??

I think I'll go with OutPost for now, give it a try see what happens.

ty

______

E ae Weber, legal achar um brazuca aqui. Como vc conseguiu a licença? Por enquanto eu vou testar o OutPost e ver oq acontece, mas se eu não for muito com a cara dele vou tentar o Kerio.

Valeu pela atenção Weber, a gente se esbarra por ae :)

Falou

11. Weber

Weber Registered Member

Eu consegui a licença numa promoção em comemoração quando o fórum completou 5000 usuários cadastrados.
    Nesse link tem informações sobre a promoção:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=10348

12. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Is it true that to keep NOD32's virus sigs updated, you have to buy a $27 license every year (which of course may increase in price)?

13. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Nameless,

Regarding NOD32 and license renewal...
    I think so.
    The A/V programs that I have used all charge a renewal fee after the first year's subscription.

Edit**
    You could check Panda's packages.
    Maybe Panda Platinum is lifetime license?
    I think I read that on the wilders security home page in the av section a while back.

14. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Daniel SR, As QSection has stated in his responce you can't
    go wrong with this duo!! Both are excellent Av/Firewall ;) ;)

15. sig

sig Registered Member

Depending on your internet use, if you do things or go places that might expose you to Trojans (Kazaa, filesharing, etc) I'd recommend using an AntiTrojan application also and not just rely on an AV. Trojan Hunter, TDS and BOClean (no free trial and real time monitor only) are the most frequently recommended AT's.

KAV and Mcafee are often recommended as all in one solutions for the average user for both viruses and trojans, but some users report they don't always agree with their particular systems. So take advantage of the free trials available (for AV's and AT's) and see what app or apps suit you best.

Virtually all AV's (except the free ones) require some annual license renewall fee to continue getting virus signature definition updates. Some also include program updates during the term of the license, others just include signature updates (like NAV for example).

16. Amerk_5

Amerk_5 Registered Member

You could always try avast! 4 Home Edition which is completely free. They do require you to get a registration key that lasts for a year, but that's free. It's just so they can figure out who's still using the program.

There are NO differences between the scanning engine in the Home Edition & Pro Edition because they're identical. The main items available only in Pro are the script blocker, command line scanner, & an enhanced user interface. Both versions have completely automatic, silent definition &/or program updates to make sure that you're always up to date.

I've been using the Home Edition for almost a year & it hasn't let me down yet.

17. Daniel SR

Nameless, the Eset website says:"...The listed prices include all the upgrades and updates within one year since the date of purchase..."

So I thinks it's true..u have to pay every year. You can send them an email (sales@nod32.com) and ask about license. I know I will since this is an excelent AV :)

I have always been a Symantec guy, I had NAV, NIS and NPFW. But...I don't know..I guess I had to try something diferent. What do u guys think about Symantec products?

Thanks again for the posts, u all had helped me a lot.

18. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Daniel - welcome here at Wilders and hope ya stick around; not only to learn some more but also to share your knowledge with others ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.