A little disappointed?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by ellison64, May 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

My point in this post is that bonzibuddy installs adware (whenu.savenow and click the button) without user intervention.The result of this is that adverts and popups are displayed when browsing.Its irrelevant if it uninstalls nicely .Would a parent whos just bought his first pc and installed bonzibuddy for his daughter because he looks so cute really know that the cause of all the popups and ads was that?. i dont think so.
    I dont know of any legetimate adware scanner that doesnt detect these. Some AVs and other security programmes give the impression of detecting adware , and when they are well known and top notch programmes it wouldnt be unreasonable (in my opinion) for a user to expect them to detect the equivalent (or better than) number of adwares that dedicated adware/spyware programes detect.If its unresonable to suppose this for whatever reason ,then why do the av/at companies bother to delve into adware detection in the first place?.Its not a "bonus" to have adware defenitions if it cant/wont detect the most commonest of adware /adware installing sources for various reasons only the vendor knows.Please dont get me wrong....i am a registered user of nod ,and boclean , tds3 and trojanhunter and many other avs/adware programmes too.I would personally prefer one app that deals with the lot (kaspersky is going that way and dr web too with its adware/spyware defs) , however when nod declares it protects against adware but doesnt consider bonzibuddy (which installs adware) then im very much perplexed.
    ellison

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I understand Ellison but I believe that Eset is working for about two/three months now on adaware/spyware so it is a quite new database...I believe they will add some spyware heuristics too...

In the meantime don't put all your eggs into one basket...cause if one makes a slamdunk...your eggs are gone ;) and you're still infected.
    Layered security: for virii take nod32, for trojans take nod32 + boclean/ewido, for spyware take nod32 + boclean/ewido/whatever + Adaware/spybot/msas/...

you have a good layered defence Allison, don't hold your breath if nod32 doesn't detect it...scan with another one :) and in the meantime send the "problem" to Eset so they will add the sig faster then usual.

Take care

3. ellison64

Thank you infinity for your understanding.I think of nod as i would my favourite football (soccer to my american cousins :)) team.I want them to be the best and at the top of the league.However if they fail the fanzone ,for whatever reason , i need to shout at them from the terrraces ....but its only out of love :)
    ellison

4. Infinity

off course it's out of love :D
    I believe with the upcoming new version and the autosubmitting of samples will create a bigger database anyway so I guess we'll have to wait till the new version get's a hold around the world and then the sigs will come in of course :) I truely hope so...Cause Nod32 is my favourite here too ;)

5. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Your Bonzi buddy thingie when you let those AV tackle it with their whacker leave all kinds of junk since they are only interested in stopping it..Now if you want to do it that way..rather than the uninstaller they provide..more power to ya..for me..I don't like the junk that is then left..or like to clean it off people systems when they ask what is this bits left.

So once again..

What is Bonzi Buddy?
    He's your interactive friend and traveling companion on the Internet! He walks, talks, sings, browses and searches the Internet with you. That's according to the website...he's also very annoying.

How to I Remove Bonzi Buddy?

BonziBUDDY is easily removed following these instructions:

1) First you need to close the Bonzi Buddy Program. Click on Bonzi and say "Goodbye" to close him. Next, Right-click on the dollar sign icon next to your clock and choose "Exit."

2) Now click on Start > Programs > BonziBUDDY > Uninstall BonziBUDDY Bargain Hunting Tool and allow the uninstall program to finish.

3) Go to Start > Programs > BonziBUDDY > Uninstall BonziBUDDY and allow the uninstall program to complete.

4) Finally, restart your computer.

Sometimes the uninstall is not successful because a manual removal was tried previously, or a key file was deleted that the uninstall process needs. In these cases, reinstall the Bonzi Buddy software and then proceed with a normal uninstall shown above.

There is no need to delete any files first. All you need to do is visit

http://www.bonzi.com/bonzibuddy/bonzibuddyfreehom.asp

and download the BonziBUDDY files again. This will be a fast process if you already have most of the files installed, since the install will only download and install the files you don't have or ones that have been updated since your last download or update.

Once you have successfully run the install of BonziBUDDY again, just follow the instructions in #1 above to uninstall BonziBUDDY.

Clean up after Uninstalling

When BonziBUDDY is uninstalled, there are a few small files left in your BonziBUDDY directory that will remind Bonzi what your settings and preferences are should you ever decide to install him again. They are very small and will not harm your computer in any way, but it is safe to delete this folder if BonziBUDDY is already removed from your system.

http://www.pchell.com/support/bonzibuddy.shtml

And you see that stuff in bold..well let your AV handle it and have fun.

Now what I am disapointed in these days are people who install free apps and do not first check them out.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13380680#13380842

But on a side note..I know many people who still love that little monkey..they think he is cool and have no desire to eliminate.

I even have some that say "My AV broke da monkey". Sure would be nice to have an AV were you could disregard the little chatter box.

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Agree.

Since Happy Bytes was first to explain this situation (with admirable self-restraint), he also deserves a thanks. So... THANKS, HB!

As to annoy-ware with its own uninstaller -- I see no reason why an AV should be expected to monkey with such things. :cool:

7. ellison64

True..an av shouldnt ,but an av that purports to detect adware (which bonzibuddy installs) should....imo.
    ellison

8. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Boooo... :p :D :D :D

Ellison64: Eset has given their reasons to not include it in their database, and I (for one) respect that. I don't think many people expect their anti-virus to act the same as a dedicated anti-spyware program. Besides, none of the programs you mentioned detected it, why single out an anti-virus? Would it be because they were the only ones courteous enough to respond? (other than BOClean) I like the fact that I can disable the less critical defenses I have when I want to do something like play a game. I can run any of my spyware/adware removers when I'm installing stuff. I don't need or want NOD32 to catch every little thing out there, thanks. I'll leave the bloat for users of other AVs.

Not to mention the fact that removing it with a malware scanner would probably cause more problems than just using the included uninstaller. No reason to go shreading boxes when you can just cut the packing tape and fold it nicely.

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  9. Nancy_McAleavey

Nancy_McAleavey Expert Member

I would rather see my anti-whatever detect the adware, malware, whatever it (or anything else....) installs *without* consent as opposed to software any user with such privledges allowed to be installed. Consider this- OE's preview mode can install all manner of things, most of which you would never allow in your right mind, but many use OE regardless. One can disable OE in Windows, it's not hard at all to do.

If you have a concern for that annoying monkey, be sure that anyone who uses the computer and might be inclined to install same uses the machine under a limited user account.

10. ellison64

Well i also respect everyones comments here but that doesnt mean i would blindly agree to everything thats said either.The fact is that bonzibuddy installs adware..period.If you dont believe me then go download and install it yourself and perform a scan with any adware scanner you choose to pick.Im NOT picking on nod.Im not trolling ,or anything else you care to imagine.Im simply stating the facts.Bonzibuddy installs adware.Nod at present doesnt mind that ,because it uninstalls cleanly from add/remove programes it seems. If that satisfies you , then good for you.It doesnt satisfy me though.Ill still use nod whether they add the signaure or not as it works better than all the avs ive tried for many reasons.However i would recommend any users to use an adware scanner and not just rely on nod to detect adware .Anything wrong with that?
    ellsion

11. ellison64

But bonzibuddy DOES install adware without my consent.I agree that perhaps the monkey is annoyware , though personally i dont find him annoying.But what about the "clickthebutton" and "whenu.savenow" ?They dont ask to be installed.They are installed through bonzibuddys normal installation routine.Are they adware or not?
    ellison

12. Infinity

Not at all Ellison, it's obvious you're not picking on nod32 :) Bonzibuddy is spyware, you're right about that...maybe they didn't included it cause there is an uninstaller for anyway...(Thanx PrimRose) I don't know why...I guess the answer is already given.

That's what I would do .. never ever trust on singel app that includes everything...:) the *perfect* solution doesn't exist...

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  13. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi all,

There is no question in my mind that users need to use a layered approach to their security. No single company (even those with lots of money and resources such as Norton and Microsoft) has the ability to track and defend against all types of malware. It is simply to much to expect or to ask for. Each company, because of limitations in resources (and knowledge) has to prioritize their objectives. Some of my friends are at first surprised that any kind of malware gets past their AV, but soon they understand and accept it.

So my recommendation echos Infinity's. That is to install one good AV, some pro-active protection such as ProcessGuard and RegDefend (which will definitely stop many types of generic malware from installing), a backup AT, and some backup AS such as Ad-aware, or CounterSpy (these guys seem to pick up the less malicious type of spyware that may get past the primary defense).

Rich

14. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Hehe, I think you took my words harsher than I acutally intended, Ellison, sorry if I came off a little terse. I just think there are better products to complain about not detecting something like BonziBuddy, but other than the original post this thread seems to mainly be focused on NOD32, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me (other than that Happy Bytes was willing to discuss it from the perspective of NOD32.) Just like you, I'm perplexed, just about different things.

I fully agree that one should not rely on just one scanner for all undesirable things, that ultimately seems to be the "moral" of this thread. With the "License Keys" section in NOD32 2.5, it seems like they might be getting ready to put together package deals with 3rd party products (as they mentioned w/ Kerio firewall), which might take care of the less critical things (like BonziBuddy), so we'll see what becomes of that.

15. Infinity

pffff, I won't take it :cool:

16. Primrose

I don't know ellison64, i would like to support some of your thoughts ..but it all seems to all boil down to you wanting some programmer for an AV or whatever type firm..to whack out the spyware /adware / null-ware/ underwear, or whatever we are going to call the whenu PU stinky stuff..so maybe you and other can do the bonzi monkey free of all bad stuff o_O?? :eek: ..I just can't put my hands or thought around that theory.

The monkey is as free as he is going to be ..just like you get him off the shelf..and if you can't stand they other stuff..you just have to uninstall him..there is no other logical way to do it.

wacking bundles to keep the free..is like you borrowing my car..and not putting gas in it.. ;)

17. Infinity

LMAO :) why putting gas in your car? you like smoke? :) ..

true, it will mess your system up and the chance of things getting corrupt in your registry/network/... is waaay to big .

18. ellison64

Apologies.Perhaps i did take your post out of context.I guess nod has cropped up more because thats the one i use and the one that says on its website that it detects adware.Also i wish nod to be the best.To me bonzibuddy is a prime example of what i consider wrong in some circles.The general concensus here seems to be "ohh its nothing to worry about , and it has an uninstaller and there are for more important things to detect".But the fact is that adware (the like of which bonzubuddy installs) can slow down pcs , cause security and privacy problems as well as possible stability problems and are the sort of things that newbies would install.Imagine if several such programmes were installed.I know im perhaps being simplistic , but whats wrong in expecting a product that claims to detect adware , from actually detecting it?I particularly like mcafees description as a "potentially unwanted programe -adware bonzibuddy".Now whats wrong with my favourite av (and adware detector :) ) proclaiming a similar thing?.
    ellison

19. Infinity

I guess Bonzibuddy is for everyone here @ Wilders out of the class and will be removed on all hjt logs I work on.

Not at all Ellison, what we are saying basicaly is that if you let NOD32 clean your system from Bonzibuddy, the chances will be a lot bigger it will cripple up your system.
    Cause Nod will not use the default uninstall procedure of Bonzicrap.Bonzicrap is designed to be like that...it doesn't like to get rid of using *unconventional* methods.

there is nothing wrong with your antivirus and antispyware. if you are happy with it, you should stick with it and make the rest of your system tight :cool:

20. ellison64

I think you misunderstand me Primrose.I dont want to use bonzibuddy without the adware that comes bundled with it.I want my av (that states it also detects adware) to warn me of the bundled adware risk within it and therfore allow me a reasoned choice of whether i want to install it or not .As it stands now nod says its clean and allows the adware to be installed.
    ellison

21. ellison64

I understand what you are saying my friend,but it wouldnt even be installed if nod detected it would it?.Thats the whole crux of the matter.Its not a case of using an av to uninstall it.Its a case of the av detecting it in the first place prior to installation.
    ellison

22. Infinity

for nod32 preventing you to scan it will needs something like processguard built in...maybe like Notok said: with the app control of Kerio?

23. ellison64

Im not sure i understand you about processgaurd infinity.i was thinking more in the line of amon actually warning me of the threat.The bonzibuddy installer is bbsetuphom.exe.If i click that then surely amon would prevent execution and therefore installation if the signature was added?
    ellison

24. Primrose

Is that what you uploaded to jotti for it to tell you if it was infected with all those AV's..what happens when you upload the IEHelperMiddleMan.dll
    for it to scan ?

25. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

FYI, Ad-Aware detects BonziBuddy as a Data miner, and if you've got Ad-Watch an alert will be displayed when you double-click on the installer. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.