A Huawei E160 mobile broadband modem causing BSOD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by punter, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. punter

punter Registered Member

I have one of these modems and the TrueImage Home 2009 (9796) and I am getting BSOD, mainly during boot on my Vista laptop (after the scanning 'Knight Rider' bar but before the music and Windows circle, but also some BSOD when the PC is up and running.

I know it is the modem is causing the BSOD as the last time I did not plug it in, waited for the laptop to boot, logged in and then inserted the modem and a BSOD straight away. They are not every time maybe 1 in every 7 or 8 at the most and it is the boot time BSOD that are more common (the ones during runtime are only 1 or 2)

The modem works like a U3 flash drive (I think. as I dont have a U3 drive) as there is a built in rom with the driver and connection software that shows up as a CD-ROM so it will auto-paly as soon as the modem is plugged in (I have autoplay turned off) and a MicroSD slot (I have a 4gb card in there). When first plugged in it shows up as a composite device, that goes and is repleced by the two drive letters.

The BSOD during boot are one that say something like 'Stop x00008' in them and the ones during running are something to do with errors in non-paged memory

When I loog into an admin account I get a pop-up telling me there was an error and I can check for solutions later (non-found)

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 1000008e
    BCP1: C0000005
    BCP2: 825FD811
    BCP3: 8189A71C
    BCP4: 00000000
    OS Version: 6_0_6002
    Service Pack: 2_0
    Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini071209-02.dmp
    C:\Users\Root\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-2462974-0.sysdata.xml
    C:\Users\Root\AppData\Local\Temp\WERBDD3.tmp.version.txt

I have copies of the files mentioned.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Stop 0x00000080 is normally a driver problem.
    Are you able to boot into SAFE mode.

Did this start happening after you installed TI?

If you uninstall TI does the BSOD go away?

I recently had a similar problem installing some Acronis software, and tracked it down to W7 RC1 getting confused and duplicating LAN Miniports (you need to enable view hidden devices in device manager)

I solved it by deleting the extra miniports and the Acronis Devices entry. Rebooted, then re-installed TI - BSOD problem solved.

3. punter

punter Registered Member

I only get the BSOD once every 7 or 8 boots so all I do is switch off/on and it will start OK next time.

I have just come back to mention this and noticed your reply, TI is the only new bit of software I have installed and I have never had BSOD before.

Since it does not cause an error every time it would be hard to tell if it is fixed or just not happening.

I have it plugged into a 7 port hub (one of those powered Belkin ones with 5 ports on the side and 2 on the top and a hole through the middle) and if something goes wrong with the modem (nothing to do with TI) then I will get a message in the status bar telling me the device will go faster if plugged into a different port but it suggests the ones on the hub that it is already plugged into.

I will plug it into a USB socket on the laptop and see if that makes a difference.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

See if there are any entries in Windows Event Viewer.

Right Click -My Computer\Management\System Tools\EventViewer

5. punter

punter Registered Member

Did not spot anything there that would indicate the problem

6. punter

punter Registered Member

Something I did try was changing the Arconis service to a delayed start and a manual start so it did not run at all and that did not help.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We have never heard of cases when our software causes 1000008e BSOD. It can be a hardware or software issue. To exclude Acronis from list of causes, please completely reinstall our program and use your computer for a week or so, then check if BSOD occur. If it does not, please let us know and we will proceed the investigation regarding our software especially.

Let me list some general information regarding 1000008e:

0x1000008e is same as 0x8e

Driver Development Tools: Windows DDK

Bug Check 0x8E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    The KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED bug check has a value of 0x0000008E. This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

Parameters
    The following parameters are displayed on the blue screen.

Parameter Description
    1 The exception code that was not handled
    2 The address at which the exception occurred
    3 The trap frame
    4 Reserved

This is a very common bug check. To interpret it, you must identify which exception was generated.

Common exception codes include:

a.. 0x80000002: STATUS_DATATYPE_MISALIGNMENT
    An unaligned data reference was encountered.

b.. 0x80000003: STATUS_BREAKPOINT
    A breakpoint or ASSERT was encountered when no kernel debugger was attached to the system. • 0xC0000005: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

A memory access violation occurred.

For a complete list of exception codes, see the ntstatus file located in the inc directory of the Windows DDK.

If you are not equipped to debug this problem, you should use some basic troubleshooting techniques. Make sure you have enough disk space. If a driver is identified in the bug check message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters. Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

If you plan to debug this problem, you may find it difficult to obtain a stack trace. Parameter 2 (the exception address) should pinpoint the driver or function that caused this problem.

If exception code 0x80000003 occurs, this indicates that a hard-coded breakpoint or assertion was hit, but the system was started with the /NODEBUG switch. This problem should rarely occur. If it occurs repeatedly, make sure a kernel debugger is connected and the system is started with the /DEBUG switch.

If exception code 0x80000002 occurs, the trap frame will supply additional information.

If the specific cause of the exception is unknown, the following should be considered:

Hardware incompatibility. First, make sure that any new hardware installed is listed on the Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility List (HCL).

Faulty device driver or system service. In addition, a faulty device driver or system service might be responsible for this error. Hardware issues, such as BIOS incompatibilities, memory conflicts, and IRQ conflicts can also generate this error.

If a driver is listed by name within the bug check message, disable or remove that driver. Disable or remove any drivers or services that were recently added. If the error occurs during the startup sequence and the system partition is formatted with NTFS file system, you might be able to use Safe Mode to rename or delete the faulty driver. If the driver is used as part of the system startup process in Safe Mode, you need to start the computer by using the Recovery Console to access the file.

If the problem is associated with Win32k.sys, the source of the error might be a third-party remote control program. If such software is installed, the service can be removed by starting the system using the Recovery Console and deleting the offending system service file.

Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help pinpoint the device or driver that is causing bug check 0x1E. Disabling memory caching of the BIOS might also resolve the error. You should also run hardware diagnostics, especially the memory scanner, supplied by the system manufacturer. For details on these procedures, see the owners manual for your computer.

Please let us know the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

8. punter

punter Registered Member

One thing I did try a few days ago was to remove the microSD card from the slot on the modem and so far no more BSOD. The only thing I keep on the card is the updated drivers / conection software for the modem so if I take it anywhere to use on another computer I have all the software I need.

Another thing was when the modem was first out there was a list of incompatable software http://ask3.three.co.uk/SRVS/Data/H...broadband/e160/e160_incompatible_software.htm BUT IT DOES NOT EXIST ANYMORE. I can remember that the list contained a wide selection of types of sotware but not many of the specific stuff. e.g. I am sure Deamon tools and Alcohol were on the list but that might have something to do with the virtual drives they use interfering with the U3 nature of the modem but saying that I never had any problems with Daemon Tools. But there was also a graphacis package on the list (cant remeber what one) and I have a strang feeling that Arconis was on it as well but cant b sure.

Since the list has been removed and there has been a couple of updates to the modem drivers / connection software since then I just thought any problems have been fixed.

9. punter

punter Registered Member

Definitely something to do with card readers / memory cards and the like.
    Since I removed the microSD card from the slot in the modem there has been no BSOD but just now I wanted to check what was on a normal SD card so I plugged it into the builtin card reader slot on my laptop and straight away a BSOD to do with rtstor.sys.

The thing is it does not do it all the time. After a reboot I plugged in SD cards and ejected them without any problems.

I have never had BSOD before installing Arcronis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.