a good gmail alterative?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zx81, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I think the OP is actually going with Outlook now.

2. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

3. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Prior to those 3 jpegs I received out of the 6 sent by my daughter, there was another instance when I only received 2 jpegs from a friend who had sent 3 (one of them apparently dropped into a black-hole). So I can only presume that the actual maximum number of attachments depends on some total MB limit imposed by Outlook.com. o_O

Cruise

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

If that is the case it is very strange, as the usual situation with email services is that if the email is too big size, it will simply not reach the destination, rather than being partly received.

5. zx81

zx81 Registered Member

6. Carver

Carver Registered Member

If the pic is too big to send though email you can compress it with 7-zip.

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Actually you can't compress pictures with any standard compression/archiving software as they are already compressed.

I use JPEGmini to optimize JPEGs to make them a lot smaller with no visible quality loss. Basically it takes a JPEG file and makes it into a smaller JPEG. You can use it online, or download it as a Windows or Mac app.

8. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

By the way, very nice browser's theme. What is that? Thanks.

9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

It was just a jpeg I had on file that I used as Maxthon's speed dial background picture I think. I usually have the Mx sidebar displayed. I tend to change speed dial themes often. Since Mx 4 you can also use the same file as the GUI background. Van Gogh's Starry Night is a good one to use. ;)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  10. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I tried to register @ http://www.openmailbox.org to try it, as linked to by Zero3K but for some unknown reason i was unable to tick the Agreement box, & therefore couldn't proceed ? I allowed Javascript & Cookies.

Re email Att's.

You could PW a Zipped folder with pics in, so there would be only 1 file to upload/download ;)

11. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

This looks good. What do others think? This YM meltdown has me shaken. How long has OpenMailbox.org been around?

12. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

What browser did you use to try registering for an account?

13. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have now, after 10 years with Gmail, decided to move to something new. Gmail has served me well. It is a really good and stable mail provider with alot of nice functions, but now with the NSA debacle I will avoid US-based companies that operate under US-laws. The Lavabit creator who was forced by the US authorities to compromize his service security recommends this, and it sounds logical to me. If they can bully him to shut down because he cant provide the service he intended, they can force others who are operating under US laws.

I have moved to Runbox.com. A norwegian based company that promises that it wont be bullied by US laws. (If they do, I will move again)
    Since runbox now have a campaign where you get two years for the price of one I decided to switch.

Pro´s:
    No ads!
    No reading of emails to make a profile of you.
    Fast servers
    Easy interface on the web.
    Relatively cheap for 10GB storage of email.
    Easy to move all your emails from Gmail to Runbox (5GB = 10 years of email and attachments from my Gmail account)

Con´s:
    Outlook complains that the IMAP connection gets lost every ten minutes or so and you have to click the prompt every time and you cant turn the freaking warning off! None of the howtos on the net has helped with this problem that seems to be Outlook related since for example POP Peeper checks IMAP without problems.
    I have only had it for a couple of weeks, but so far it seems a very good alternative.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  14. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Another runbox user here. I too have moved for same reasons. If you are looking for a gmail alternative then runbox is a way to go.

15. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

My vote goes to MyKolab; https://mykolab.com/

It's a groupware service designed on open platforms. Groupware means that it also includes things like calendar, data storage and so on. The servers are located in Switzerland. Support has been top-notch. It's a pretty good Gmail alternative, though can be a bit pricey depending on what services you use. They have "lite" version too, which includes only email.

16. zx81

zx81 Registered Member

signed up for a trial of runbox to give it a go too.

I'm having a good time with outlook.com so far, I like the app for the android platform. Does runbox have similar for android, or recco a good 3rd party app?

thanks

17. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

do you also use the outlook calendar integrated to android? if so, what app do you use for that and how good is it working (compared to the google calendar)?

18. 031

031 Registered Member

I maintain one account with yandex. They are russian :cool: but i am quite satisfied with the service.

https://mail.yandex.com/

19. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

It looks good. Does it track emails and show Ads like Gmail does?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  20. mattdocs12345

Of course they are. They are a Russian service, they track and collect them just like the U.S. or China.

21. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Oh well. Is there a free email service which does not track and show ads like Google? Plus more storage than Google would be fine. The OP of this thread gives the reason for leaving Gmail as boredom and tracking. The suggestions in the thread contain features based email services as well as privacy based ones.

22. mattdocs12345

No.
    Email providers need to make money one way or the other. If they are not tracking/reading your emails and selling them to the highest bidder then they charge you money for their service. If you are looking for paid services that are more privacy conscious then look at this list
    If you want a free service that is run by dissidents then look at here and here. Both are ran by volunteer/dissedent organizations and have been in the past raided by Law Enforcement. Note those services are not really free. They also have to pay for their servers and bandwidth and they do ask you that you donate once a year.
    If the OP can spend a little bit of money then I would suggest runbox since it only costs $16 a year and they don't sell your data to the highest bidder. They are located in Norway which is part of the 9 or 12 Eyes of the NSA but at least the coorporations won't be profiling you and maybe the local Law Enforcement will be required to obtain a warrant before they access yoru inbox. If you choose any service within U.S./Russia/China then those countries don't even bother with warrants. They don't need them.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  23. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@mattdocs12345
    Okay understood. Thanks.:)

24. zx81

zx81 Registered Member

Although I found outlook experience very good, I put my money where my mouth is and subscribed to runbox, they have a deal on 3yr sub

Well worth paying for email function, and happy to support the company. Again, many thanks to all on thread for suggestions.

25. mattdocs12345

Good choice. I think they are the least expansive reputable replacement out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.