A friend asked my advice : your opinions about my short-list

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Olio1, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olio1

Olio1 Registered Member

Hi all,

A friend of mine has just bought a computer and she has asked my advice about security/utility softwares.
    Keep in mind she is an average user : she wants simplicity and efficiency ! ;)

Here is what I've suggested :

1) Firewall : Look'n'Stop v2.06

2) Antivirus : Antivir Personal Edition Classic

3) Antispyware : CounterSpy v2 (for real-time protection) + AVG AntiSpyware (on-demand scans)

4) Defrag tool : PerfectDisk 2008 (or O&O Defrag Pro v10)

4) Registry Cleaner : Ace Utilities v4.1

5) Uninstaller : Your Uninstaller 2008 v6

6) Burning application : ImgBurn v2.4

7) Drive Image Utility : Image for Windows v2 (NB : I was told it was a very good app, but unfortunately I never used such programs)

Feel free to add your comments or suggestions ! ;)
    Thanks in advance,

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  2. SinisterSam

SinisterSam Registered Member

owning and maintaining a pc shouldnt be burden with 'extra' costs. go free all around. windows firewall or comodo [free] | antivir [free] | anti-crapware [no real need] must be a free solution if any at all | ms defrag [builtin] | registry cleaner [not required] | uninstaller [not required] | drive image tool not really required either, backup personal data to cd/dvd and use the xp disk or restore disk if required. = software cost = $0.00 - get her open office, firefox and thunderbird as a free bonus gift.

why push extra costs on your 'friend' when they arent necessary? pc usage should _not_ come with a subscription attached. ;-)

cheers =)

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

my list would be as follows
    firewall=good choice no need to change
    antivirus:bitdefender,kav or dr web your choice but its better to pay so you get more frequent updates and no nag screens and most likely more protection. if you want everything for free i reccomend avast. if she is going to be online shopping or online banking paid antivirus is highly reccomended.
    antispyware: superantispyware free version (paid if wish to) but i dont think realtime is needed concider reccomend using alternate browser.
    defrag tool:jk defrag free and does a very good job.
    registry cleaner: none does more harm than good.
    uninstaller: not sure.
    burning app: fine
    drive image software: with the money saved shadow protect desktop could be a decent option.
    hopefully external hard drive to backup to. easy to use and can be sechduled.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  4. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Yeah no reason to spend more money. Normal user doesn't need so many "security" softwares. I say that AntiVir and SUPERAntiSpyware are good and free. If Windows defragger isn't enough then use free JkDefrag. Use CCleaner if he/she really need some cleaner, again no reason to buy paid program. Windows own firewall is good enough and easy to use.

Edit: I must say that it's good to think if Drive Image is needed (you can save $$$). I don't use any. I just backup my few personal files with some free software.

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

This is what i normally put on friends computers...

Firewall - windows firewall
    Antivirus - avast, avg or antivir
    Antispyware - superantispyware free
    Registry/Cleanup/Defrag - ashampoo winoptimizer free
    Uninstaller - ashampoo uninstaller free
    Burning - ashampoo burning studio free
    Imaging - free acronis trueimage

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Antispyware: I would not bother with realtime.

Uninstaller: I would pick Total Uninstall.

Burning application: I always consider ImgBurn's specialty to be disc images. For general disc burning I would go with InfraRecorder or CDBurnerXP or BurnAware.

Everything else is good.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Olio1, fro an average user. it,s just too much.

FW- Windows one is for average users.
    AV- OK
    AS- Don,t bother and it u really want switch to paid Antivir that will cover or use SAS free on-demand.
    Defrag- I use Windows one. Really I don,t feel any diffrenece.
    Reg Cleaner- Don,t touch the regsitry. It might make a mess esp for an average user. I wonder why do u think of it especially for an average user.
    Uninstaller- Don,t bother. Windows one or software,s own uninstaller.
    DriveImage: Shadow Protect( though I never tried it). Let her try a few like SP, Acronis and see what =works and what she likes and understands easily.

U can add ThraetFire and a Sandbox or a Virtualization product. But again try to keep minimum and simple.

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello!

Windows itself (especially Windows Vista) has many integrated tools so why make this girl's life harder than it should be.

Why bother with 3rd party tools such as uninstaller , burning software , defragmentor when Windows has them already inside for free . And the integrated Windows options are for sure much easier to use . Registry cleaner for average user - why?!

Images ? For average user ? Why not simple backups ?

Look's'Stop is not a firewall for novice to average users ? Windows Firewall would be what I'd pick up for this girl.

9. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Oilo1,

How about considering SandBoxie, or Returnil, & with either SiteAdvisor.

Take Care
    Rico

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.