a fix for opera 9.2 search engine ordering

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Apr 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

opera 9.2 reads the search engine file (search.ini) from a new place

because of that it added about 8 new search engines to the top of the search engine list. in linux you can fix it like this -

Code:
    locate search.ini
    this is the output i got -
    Code:
    /home/iceni60/.opera/search.ini
    /home/iceni60/.opera/search.ini.bak
    /usr/share/opera/locale/en/search.ini
    /usr/share/opera/search.ini
    all you have to do is put this file - /home/iceni60/.opera/search.ini
    here -
    /usr/share/opera/search.ini

i think the same thing works for windows too - you have to move your old search.ini file to the new place it's read from.

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I did not get the windows part!

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

what do you mean? you don't have the problem, or you don't understand how to fix it, or maybe you don't know what i'm talking about altogether? lol.

in case you mean the windows fix, i think opera uses two places to store it's files - C:\Program Files <---- that's the place each user keeps their own settings, and -
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Opera <--- i think that's where the global settings for all users is kept.

so, if after updating to opera 9.2 you found extra search engines you don't want, i think this is how to fix it (i haven't tried it out though because i don't have windows atm)

copy search.ini from the 'program files' folder to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Opera\profile\search.ini i'm not totally sure that's the correct path.

EDIT do it while opera is closed!

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Iceni! I think there is no need for backup of any files/ folders from Program Files.I have made a backup copy of my serach.ini file in Opera 9.1.

It,s here-- C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Opera\Opera\profile\search.ini

So what if I install version 9.2.

Infact I havebackup of 7 files from my Profile folder.

cookies4
    notes.adr
    opera6.ini
    opera6.adr
    override.ini
    wand
    search.ini

and two folders from Profile

toolbar
    skin

Whenever I install a new version I do a clean install and then just copy all these files n folders in profile, this way I get al my settings etc back within no time. So I am not sure when I install version 9.2 what should I do.

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just looked it up and here's the thread about it at the opera forums -
    http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=184837

as long as you have a copy of the search.ini file you have now you won't have a problem. when i updated to 9.2 it didn't touch my search.ini file, what it did do is stop using it and start using one from somewhere else; it made a new search.ini with all my custom search engines but added 8/9 new ones at the top! - google, yahoo, answers etc, my new default search engine was google :mad:

all i did was over-write the search.ini opera had decided to use with my original search.ini file. so, if when you update to 9.2, and you have customised your search engines, your search engines have had some engines added that you don't want, find which directory it's reading it from and replace it with your current search.ini :D

does that all make sense?

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks, that,s Ok.
    U mean by default it will just add some more engines to my custom serach engines and will change the default one to google, nothing else. Am I right?
    BTW what si ur default one( I use Scandoo google).

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

yeap that's right, maybe if you haven't changed the default engines you won't notice anything. it changes the default engine, and it also changes the next 8 or so too, so your normal search engines start at about the 9th option.

i use scroogle as my default engine
    http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm
    http://www.scroogle.org/

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks. I will take care when I upgrade.
    BTW how can I add Wikipedia search like in FF to the deafult list.

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

like i said - if you haven't added any new search engines you might not see any difference when you upgrade.

you can add a search engine like this -
    1, go to Wikipedia
    2, right-click in the search box and select Create search...
    3, pick a key word (or letter, e.g. w)

before the 9 versions you had to edit the search.ini by hand to add new SEs, and you still do if you want to move the search engines to the order you want.

if you want to customise your search engines in the search.ini file you only need to remember these things -
    1, make sure the SEs are in the correct order, the first being [Search Engine 1], the second is [Search Engine 2]
    2, if you want to use separators to group your search engines then this line with the value of 1 means there is a separator
    Has endseparator=-1
    0 means no separator
    Has endseparator=0

here's a screenshot showing how grouped searches can look. it's from an old search.ini i had, i don't use the ubuntu search engines now. if opera made it quicker to edit the list i'd do it, but as it is i'll have to go through most of the search engines and give them a new number. i could just delete them i suppose :D

Attached Files:

• SEs.gif
      SEs.gif
      File size:
      24.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks I added wikipedia and dictionary.com.
    Just last Q, can I add a translation tool here too.

Thanks

11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i'm not sure about a search engine, but if you install the Web Developer Toolbar & Menu for Opera that's got one in the right-click menu along with loads of other stuff like bugmenot, google cache, make a tinyurl. if you don't like it you can change it back in the toolbar option in preferences.
    http://operawiki.info/WebDevToolbar/

there's a bookmarklet for google translate too at the bottom of this page
    http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/misc.html

drag it straight up to a toolbar, then click it on a page you want to translate. if you don't want it you can right-click on it and delete it. the page you use it on needs javascript enabled, i'm not sure if the WebDevToolbar needs it too.

there's a userjs too on this page -
    http://my.opera.com/Lex1/blog/index.dml/tag/userjs

here's how to install it -
    http://userjs.org/help/installation

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks a lot for the help.

13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks iceni!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.