a firewall for me..

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by clansman77, Mar 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

can somebody advice me regarding a firewall selection according to my needs which i am stating below..

1)-ease of use is first priority..i currently dont have the time right now to learn too much about firewall rules and stuff like that..

2)-resource usage is the second concern and priority ..it should be low..

these are the two things most impt for me..so can anybody advice me regarding the firewall for me taking into consideration the above 2 points..i have experience with zone alarm and outpost ..but dont like the high resource usage..

thanks in advance..any help is much appreciated..

2. Diver

Diver Registered Member

For something that uses very low resources andis easy to use, try the XP SP2 firewall, if you have XP. Next idea is to use a hardware firewall in a NAT. No resources, and it should work right out of the box. Older versions of Zone Alarm use less memory. ZA is most often named as the easy to use firewall.

Most of the low memory footprint software firewalls are rule based and will require an investment in your time to learn how to use them. The one that is the easiest to use is Kerio 2.15 (free) with the default rules by BlitzenZeus, available over at DSL Reports.

Some folks have been able to cut Outpost memory usage by reducing logging and excluding the log from realtime AV. You might want to investigate that at the Outpost help forum.

Please translate that moving text in your signature.

3. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

you can always try an older version of zonealarm (4.5 or lower). NetVeda isn't bad either. are u looking for free or paid versions? that could help narrow down your choices considerably.

4. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

I feel ZoneAlarm is a snap to use. You could actually even put it on a computer for kids.

5. clansman77

thank you all for those prompt replies..
    i do have xp but i think i will use a software firewall rather than the inbuilt xp one coz i need some basic application filtering..and also i prefer a software firewall rather than a hardware one..freeware would be nice..

thanks diver for that info about outpost logging..i willl consider that..i have some bsods also with outpost (very occasionally) which i was unable to resolve ..so i am considering alternatives..
    @diver ,that moving text simply means truth will win always!!

i have this fear about older versions that it may be outdated or offer less protection.so a little hesitant to try out the older versions of za..i did try out their newer versions and found out it to be very easy to setup ..

and one more question about kerio2.15.i have been reading the posts on firewall section for quite a while for now ,and find that many are passionate about kerio 2.15 while someothers dont like it at all..is kerio 2.15 with bz's rules easy to setup??is it somewhat set and forget??i can devote atmost a week to study that .

i also saw some posts about netveda.is that easy to setup too??i know it is light on resources from those posts..

how about kaspersky antihacker? has anybody tried that?i am trialling it now.seems nice.only about 6-8megs memory usage and easy to set up.some what similiar to outpost..

6. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

BZ's default rules are a great way to start. You will still need to modify some rules for your setup and then create your own application rules. Just be sure to read all of his post here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8023708~mode=flat

Regards,

CrazyM

7. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

@diver

the sig above...

"The truth always prevails..."

translated from Sanskrit... the only language PCs should ever have to deal with.

i think is the national motto of India?

8. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Thanks no13 & I hope the truth does prevail, eventually.

9. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Clansman .
    Outpost will use as little as 2 megs worth of resources if you disable logging . IF . Enabled , it will run between 18 and 23 megs . Learning mode as well . And will preconfigure alot of things for you .

10. Arup

Arup Guest

no13,

I am truly impressed, sadly Sanskrit is a dead language in India, modern day Indians have nothing to do with it, what was once the mother of all Indo-European languages is now relegated to a third rate position here. The only place Sanskrit is thriving is in the west where many universities have devoted chair to it as well as being the language being taught in both beginner and advanced level.

Yes, it is the most logical language for PC, the original binary theory was written in it almost 2500 years back. At least due to the western universities, it is still alive.

11. clansman77

@hollywood
    thanks for your suggestions regarding outpost..i was using it b4 but as i said i had some occasional bsods with that, which like me someothers are also experiencing.i couldnt resolve it after reading all those suggestions in the outpost forum.not a big issue for me..but i thought well i may give the other firewalls a try tlll outpost sorts it out..apart from this i feel outpost is a wonderful firewall which is easy to use for a novice and also that has real stuff for the power user..

@arup
    i guess u tried out netveda ,i guess from ur other posts
    how is it regarding ease of use??i am waiting for a suggestion to try it out..

@all
    has anyone of you tried out the kaspersky ah??it seems nice any suggestions on this?? o_O o_O

12. Arup

Arup Guest

Clansman,

NetVeda is pretty good and this is their first time effort and free, it probably features the most extensive amount of content filtering and LAN rights control. For all those features it is the lightest in resource use. It supports proxy, ICS and router and comes pre-configured for those parameters. It has a different interface and but can be easily learnt, has DLL fingerprinting so has good level of app protection as well as outbound protection, lets you set its own rules. All that for free is definitely commendable.

Quite impressed with your scrolling signature, Satyameva Jayate.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2005
  13. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Very sorry Clansman . I guess I read your post too fast . Good luck

14. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

hmm.
    doesn't one village... ENTIRE village... hold mastery over the language in southern realms of the country?
    Not a village... a whole district I believe?

Clansman...
    kerio 2.1.4 uses < 2.5 Megs if you don't use remote administration. That's flawed in it.

15. Arup

Arup Guest

That village only speaks it, so does one here in my state of Himachal Pradesh, they dont know how to read or write it.

16. clansman77

thanks arup,no13,and hollywood pc..
    i guess i will try out both netveda and kerio2.15

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.